Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birth Record Question

• 23-05-2015 6:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just come across this on a Roots Ireland cert
    THE MOTHERS NAME IN THE REGISTER IS O'DONNELL. THE STANDARD IS
    DONNELL.

4 years later for the next birth I find this
    THE MOTHERS NAME IN THE REGISTER IS DANIEL. THE STANDARD IS DANNIEL.

Do they mean that that particular family's standard was 'Donnell' or the local standard was Donnell ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think that's an interpretation by the transcriber - I wouldn't agree with the term 'Standard' for spelling of surnames, I'd say a better phrase would be 'more commonly used spelling by this parish at the time'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yes, it was the use of the word standard that I couldn't understand.

I'm not sure where though they get this idea from. Surely it's possible for a family to be called O'Donnell and another just Donnell without presuming that one is correct and the other not ?

It's not like RootsIreland paid people to transcribers who know about the area from which the records come from.

In the example above it's the same person that they are referring to although apparently there are 2 'standards' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it, especially prefixes like O and Mc, which can be dropped or restored depending on timeframe and who writes the document.

My north Co. Dublin Kavanagh's are the leaders on the surname variation leader board in my lot - I've come across all sort of variants e.g. Cavanegh, Cavanagh, Kavana, Cavenaugh etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ei9go

Have a similar dannell / o Donnell for people from a place called Anns Gift in Co. Tipperary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ei9go wrote: »
    Have a similar dannell / o Donnell for people from a place called Anns Gift in Co. Tipperary.

Who was Ann ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ei9go

Advertisement