Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone need something from Newspapers.com?

• 13-05-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I have a month on Newspapers.com so if any fellow researchers here need something from it please let me know. No requests for John Smith please! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What about Margaret Smith?:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I would love it if you could do a quick search for a Muriel Mahoney/O'Mahoney. Anything from 1916 up to 1940, and it should be in Dublin. She'll most likely be committing crimes! I have a few pieces from other newspaper sites but would be interesting to see if there was anything else.

Thanks for the offer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Alicat wrote: »
    I would love it if you could do a quick search for a Muriel Mahoney/O'Mahoney. Anything from 1916 up to 1940, and it should be in Dublin. She'll most likely be committing crimes! I have a few pieces from other newspaper sites but would be interesting to see if there was anything else.

Thanks for the offer! :)

12,000 results in usa and a handful in the UK. UK ones are false positives. Any particular US states that might have had an interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Oh, haha, no just in Dublin! Was worth a shot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robyn15

Hi Alicat A quick search found a Muriel O'Mahoney in Dublin Circuit Court July 30th 1931. Pleaded guilty to 9 charges of Housebreaking and larceny. No fixed abode and an ex-convict, she got 5 years penal servitude. Paper was the Irish Examiner.

Robyn15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Can you have a look for anything on Eileen Webster (nee Hughes) from Dublin who died on 20 July 1930? I know she died in Mercer's Hospital but I can't locate where she is buried. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robyn15

There is a death in the Irish Independent of 19th July 1930.

" WEBSTER (Rathmines)—July 17, 1930 at Mercer's Hospital, Eileen, beloved wife of John Webster, Richmond Hill, Rathmines; deeply regretted."

No mention of burial place.

Robyn15

Just to confirm guys that this website has US Newspapers and some English, Australian and Canadian ones so I'd need the state or country to be able to help.

Irish ones are got from INN and I've no sub there for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Hi,could you look up a Patrick Roche,Tullow,Carlow ,he was killed 1924. That's all info I have.Family history thing I'm trying to do.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Gosh - Poor child, aged 8 years, died in bomb explosion, sister also injured; he lived for two hours with terrible injuries. Daddy and big brother Thomas couldn't explain why there happened to be a bomb in the outhouse. A report of the inquest in the Kildare Observer 5 July 1924.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that

Was anyone arrested or anything later?

Can't find anything about arrests - it's possible that the bomb had been stored by a brother who was interned in the Curragh.

Thank you so much for that,that has filled in a gap I have been trying to fill for a long time.Where could I find out about Jim mentioned here that was interned.police records,army records. ?

Hi

I haven't found much about James [Jim] Roche, IRA, Tullow other than a few references in BMH witness statements and the fact he was interned in the Curragh in 1924. He didn't do a witness statement or apply for an IRA pension. He may have left Ireland after the explosion. It might be worth checking with Tullow museum at http://www.discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/tullow-museum/49617

I wonder could you check for Ignatius Moore of Newcaslte House, Co. Dublin who may have died in Denver, Colorado about September 1869?

Many thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've found announcements of his wedding to Eliza Traynor, 1869 & some birth announcements. Seems he got lost in the US - there is an advert from Eliza in the Nation dated 3 Sept 1870; the ad says he left for America about 1st Sep 1865, and was last heard from in Missouri in Jun 1869, he was asked to communicate with his wife; American papers to copy. PM me if you need further information.

Cheers KF.

I had found that info out myself recently and this was a follow up to that.
    I'm hoping there might have been some mention of what became of him in the American papers - maybe a death notice or something similar.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

Hi, it was very kind of you to make such a generous offer of your time and subscription. If you wouldn't mind, I'm curious to know if any articles were written in any papers from Ballinasle, Galway regarding St. Joseph's Industrial School. Thank you, Heidi

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

If the offer is still open, would there be any mention of a Patrick Cunningham who died in Manhattan, New York, on January 2, 1916, aged 42?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Sorry folks, subscription gone. I got a few tidbits due to the obscurity of my surname but it's a huge database and anything that is in anyway common means needle in haystack type searching. The USA is one big country! :)

Advertisement