Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

• 09-07-2011 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

166401.gif

Mayo are slight favourites to defeat Roscommon. Word from the races is that the Rossies are sure they will retain the title this time around. Personally I am not confident of victory but I think we certainly have what it takes to pull through. Two poor championship games have not helped our cause but confidence was non-existent before the Galway game, matters can only have improved. At the very least Horan should have a full squad to choose from.

Any thoughts on the possibility of a return for Conor Mortimer? Would be worth having him if he could put over a few frees IMO, currently the free-taker situation is in flux.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This won't take off, nobody has the internet in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

LMFAO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Ok seriously,

I think Roscommon have a great chance.I don't think it will be a surprise otr a shock if they do win but saying that,you'd have to fancy Mayo.Even though they squeezed past London, it should be noted that London have 9 players from Kerry and the team are putting a bit of a run together.While Galway are no shakes,I still think the importance of playing in and staying in NFL1 is huge.

Don't expect either team to go too much further after this.Connaught is clearly the weakest province by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'll come back in all seriousness as well, I think Mayo are a cracker of a bet at 8/11 to win this one. Even though Roscommon have improved, Mayo should still be winning this one comfortably. Stop the easy frees and they take away Roscommon's biggest scoring threat. The Mayo half forward line has the potential to do serious damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭blowitupref

"Rossies are sure they will retain the title this time around" I work with a few Rossies & one mention of Mayo they run for cover! seriously most of them hope to be competitive but lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Stop the easy frees and they take away Roscommon's biggest scoring threat. The Mayo half forward line has the potential to do serious damage

roscommon scored 2-10 from play against leitrim on an awful wet and windy day last time out, so hopefully they carry a little more threat than last year from open play

shines a major doubt for next sunday and so is ormsby, we need both make it and to be fully fit, will be a facinating battle between roscommons half back line and mayos half forward one though, domican and especially donal ward love to roam into the opposition half, you are nearly as likely to see ward in the opposition 40 as you in his own 40, will be interesting to see if moran and dillon stay with their men

as a rossie i just hope we are more competitive than last time out against mayo, another heavy defeat wouldn't help either team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    roscommon scored 2-10 from play against leitrim on an awful wet and windy day last time out, so hopefully they carry a little more threat than last year from open play

shines a major doubt for next sunday and so is ormsby, we need both make it and to be fully fit, will be a facinating battle between roscommons half back line and mayos half forward one though, domican and especially donal ward love to roam into the opposition half, you are nearly as likely to see ward in the opposition 40 as you in his own 40, will be interesting to see if moran and dillon stay with their men

as a rossie i just hope we are more competitive than last time out against mayo, another heavy defeat wouldn't help either team

Eh? I know Ormbsy's got a bit of an injury, but the word on Shine has always been that they're keeping him under wraps so that he'll be 100% for next Sunday, hence him not playing in Clann na Gael's last series of county championship games - he's hardly a 'major doubt'.

Must say you're one of the most pessimistic supporters on all facets that I've ever encountered, but each to their own.

Syferus wrote: »

Must say you're one of the most pessimistic supporters on all facets that I've ever encountered, but each to their own.

its called being old to remember better teams than this current roscommon one beaten out the gate by average mayo teams year after year, in 1996 we were favourites to beat a mayo team who struggled over london, as usual didn't work that way, i went to my first roscommon game 25 years ago, in that time i have seen roscommon only beat mayo twice in championship football, once by a point after a replay and the other time 4 minutes into injury time, i think my pessimism is well merited

its called being old to remember better teams than this current roscommon one beaten out the gate by average mayo teams year after year, in 1996 we were favourites to beat a mayo team who struggled over london, as usual didn't work that way, i went to my first roscommon game 25 years ago, in that time i have seen roscommon only beat mayo twice in championship football, once by a point after a replay and the other time 4 minutes into injury time, i think my pessimism is well merited

I was referring to your alarming framing of Donie Shine's injury more than you opinions on the game, which I'm already aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

Whats the story with tickets for the Mayo v Ros game on the 17th.
    where are they on sale apart from the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Mr.Success wrote: »
    Whats the story with tickets for the Mayo v Ros game on the 17th.
    where are they on sale apart from the internet?

Have a look at this link here;

http://www.connachtgaa.ie/news.php?s=np&storyid=618&cat=24

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Least we have a football team still in the championship :D

I can't see us taking Ros, been to all bar 1 of the Mayo games in the league and Championship and we are just too inconsistent. We seem to regularly take defeat from the jaws of victory.

The O'Sheas were a massive improvement against Galway, that said Bergin has been very average now for over a year.

Our defense is weak as hell, Higgins was roasted by Joyce but the 2 feeneys have played very well all this year.

Rossies I know are so cock-sure its almost funny, I won't be surprised if we lose, in saying that the talent is in the panel to win up there.

Will be a tight affair and if Shine can be held, I suspect Richie Feeney to hound him all day, then we have a good chance.

As for internet, have you ever tried to get a phone signal or radio signal in West Galway......... waaaaaaaaaah

yop wrote: »

Rossies I know are so cock-sure its almost funny

any roscommon people cock-sure of beating mayo are either

a. not gaa fans
    b. only gaa fans about a year

any true roscommon fan cock sure of beating a team that havent beat in 10 years is for the birds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Are all the members of that Mayo team who's bus passed the hearse dead yet? :D Seriously though I think that Mayo probably have enough in the tank and the prospect of meeting either Tyone or Armagh or even Wicklow will be all the motivation both sets of teams need, although Mayo have done some ulster killing before, both sets of teams could make the semis if they get lucky.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

a. not gaa fans

any true roscommon fan cock sure of beating a team that havent beat in 10 years is for the birds

I know that and you do, but some lads never learn! Or probably weren't interested until the last 12 months!!

What sort of crowd are ye expected? 35 euro for a ticket is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I know that and you do, but some lads never learn! Or probably weren't interested until the last 12 months!!

What sort of crowd are ye expected? 35 euro for a ticket is a disgrace.

€35 is for the stand ,€20 for the terrace.They will be close to 30,000 .

Connacht council ripping us as usual! Luckily I have the season ticket so I get it for the cheaper sum of 30! ;)

Been a good while since I was in the Hyde, with Ross in the minors also it will be well filled by your lads. Expectation is low in Mayo so I can't see a massive crowd up there, then again we are suckers for punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

a. not gaa fans

Matey, I'm not even a Rossie but you attitude is a bit much - you always seem to be finding reasons why your team will fail, and if someone else shows a hint of confidence in their team's ability you go off on a tirade intimating they aren't true fans. C'mon on!

Maybe once in a while work on thinking of reasons why your team don't stink to high heaven? Too much to ask? Heh.

Connacht council ripping us as usual! Luckily I have the season ticket so I get it for the cheaper sum of 30! ;)

Been a good while since I was in the Hyde, with Ross in the minors also it will be well filled by your lads. Expectation is low in Mayo so I can't see a massive crowd up there, then again we are suckers for punishment!

I'll be more interested to see if An Taioseach makes an apperence - the hospital is directly beside Hyde Park. I wouldn't expect a warm welcome, to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Stinicker wrote: »
    Are all the members of that Mayo team who's bus passed the hearse dead yet? :D Seriously though I think that Mayo probably have enough in the tank and the prospect of meeting either Tyone or Armagh or even Wicklow will be all the motivation both sets of teams need, although Mayo have done some ulster killing before, both sets of teams could make the semis if they get lucky.

there is two left of that team that passes the hearse i bet thers a few mayo heads looking for them.i was at the mayo galway game we where veryvery poor in the 1st half but we did not pannic even going in at half time down by 4.we where a lot better in the 2nd half and when we go in to our stride we looked very good.

some 1 posted that higgnd was not very good in that game he kept joyce quite in the 1st half,he prob shold have got the line for that tackle that he did but was lucky to get a yellow he had to calm down after that so as not to get a 2nd yellow.

ive being hearing all sorts of roumers last week,i have a feeling cornor mortor will be named on the bench.and that young o connor will be droped
    there is also talk of the game be beingswitched to galway cos of the a & e being closed in roscommmon but id say thats a load of sh1te

naughto wrote: »
    ive being hearing all sorts of roumers last week,i have a feeling cornor mortor will be named on the bench.and that young o connor will be droped
    there is also talk of the game be beingswitched to galway cos of the a & e being closed in roscommmon but id say thats a load of sh1te

Zero chance of the game being switched, Enda would be advised to give the match a miss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Someone has to pay for the nice new stand & press box in McHale park & would be too much asking the Mayo folks to fork out all the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Syferus wrote: »
    I'll be more interested to see if An Taioseach makes an apperence - the hospital is directly beside Hyde Park. I wouldn't expect a warm welcome, to say the least!

He is expected to show up,a cop told me during the week.They are hoping he doesn't ,less hassle on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Season ticket holders don't get the discount for provencial final and all ireland final, charged full price on your account:mad: Every other match you get the €5 reduction:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting draw for the qualifiers if Mayo fail to beat Roscommon on Sunday.

They will face one of Tyrone, Armagh or Wicklow.

Mayo have always played very well against Tyrone.
    They were the ones that ran them the closest in 2008 and should really have won that with the amount of 2nd half possession they had, and have beaten them in 1989 and 2004
    Then again you cannot go on history

I have no idea when Mayo last played Armagh or Wicklow in the Championship, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Could it be switched to Galway because Enda wants to see the match and not be lynched by an angry Rossie mob?!

Yes Tod, Mayo have performed very well against Tyrone in the championship in recent times but their record in the qualifiers overall has been horrendous. Alan Dillon was quoted earlier this year as saying they don't want to go the qualifier route. Seems to be all or nothing in the championship for Mayo, they have not learned to play the qualifiers to their advantage like Cork or Kerry.

Anyways we will (attempt to) cross that bridge only if we come to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

id say enda will have the gardai that are down in belmullet at the shell to sea craic lookinkg after him on sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

id say enda will have the gardai that are down in belmullet at the shell to sea craic lookinkg after him on sunday

I heard this is being rented out so Mr.Kenny can watch the game at pitchside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

There's nothing more terrifying in this world than a horde of angry Rossies. Just ask John Maughan, he was ran out of the place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement