Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ASTIR Magazine Grammar Error?

Options
  • 13-09-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Evening all,

I spotted the ASTI magazine (ASTIR) on the staffroom table today.

This quarter's front cover has a caption flagging an enclosed supplement; it reads "New teachers' special".

While reaching for a cheap custard cream during the 11 o'clock break I mentioned it to some other sad pedants and let's just say, in terms of stimulating conversation, it's up there with after-dark poker and cricket.

So I'm here to bore YOU now...should it be "new teachers special" or "new teachers' special" taking into account that the supplement is written with a focus on new teachers rather than being OWNED by new teachers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

Sorry for your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Haven't seen it. Is it about new teachers or for new teachers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ya id guess its ok as is (i aint no grammar buff though), the apostrophe refers to the posession for many teachers ..so its a special supplement to be owned by new teachers.

Personally I find the best supplement of any importance or substance to come with something is the Lidl/Aldi special offers.

Edit: I should read it before I criticise it...
    http://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/ASTIR_September_2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

Pwpane wrote: »
    Haven't seen it. Is it about new teachers or for new teachers?

It's a two page insert with relevant tips and info for teachers joining the profession...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

I'd be more worried about the lack of capital letters if it's as you report it .However I'd be FAR more concerned about the fact there's an ad for a 'job' for NQTs spreading the good word about the union movement and the great job ICTU are doing with a starting rate of 25c above minimum wage .And guess what after 100 hours of this betrayal/slavery the TC will give you accreditation . They're all in bed together ( Dept/Unions/TC) Hypocrites!

• Advertisement

2011abc wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the lack of capital letters if it's as you report it .However I'd be FAR more concerned about the fact there's an ad for a 'job' for NQTs spreading the good word about the union movement and the great job ICTU are doing with a starting rate of 25c above minimum wage .And guess what after 100 hours of this betrayal/slavery the TC will give you accreditation . They're all in bed together ( Dept/Unions/TC) Hypocrites!

eh? the TC gives accreditation because you work in a non teaching job for 100hrs.. thats unethical if true. Maybe if an NQT offers to paint their HQ or get tickets for the final they might also be granted accreditation.

Must check this one out. I spse we're off topic but I think the grammar lesson is finished and ill split the thread later...

2011abc wrote: »

Hmm, just had a scan through the Sept one and couldn;t find the add.. which page is it on.. It's not the Youth Connect one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yep thats the one .It was on the (heavily censored but not to the farcical INTO standard) ASTI Facebook page. They subsequently took it down .
    Teachers visit classrooms to spread the lie that unions will protect their best interests ....and TC give them 'credit' after 100 hours .Basic pay 9 euro an hour , 15 for 'class contact' time .

Heres the exact details in the interest of 'balance' .Maybe some of our poor desperate colleagues scrabbling for a crust might consider this worth their while .A sickening insult after five years in college is my verdict however .

".......the pay varies depending on the amount of teaching hours. The non-teaching rate is €9 per hour and the teaching rate is €15 per hour, which equates to a basic of €270 per week for 30 hours where no schools are visited. However the guys have averaged quite a lot of visits during last year which obviously increases their hours and we also pay for travel hours outside of the 9-4pm time including mileage."

Thats from the horses mouth .Needless to say they dont publicise THAT information .Visit the schools of the country telling them about Big Jim Larkin (if EVER a man was rolling in his grave )and how great the unions are while being exploited .

Just another of the multitude of nails being hammered into our 'profession'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Feeded wrote: »
    It's a two page insert with relevant tips and info for teachers joining the profession...
    Then I'd say the title is correct?

e.g. a " men's special " is for men, but a " men special " might be interesting...

Advertisement