Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling Ireland Full Comp Licence Cost

• 13-01-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Greetings

After two years absence Ive decided to Race A3 Domestic in 2015.

I thought it would be great to renew my licence early.

In my opinion it is quite expensive at 160 euro
    (120 e for the licence and 40 for club membership)

I understand the fee structure and that is cheaper for club membershio and affiliated etc

I will pay it but ideally it should be around 80 euro(triathlon ireland is 58 euro)
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/membership.html

I understand the insurance etc, but why then is it so expensive, if cycling ireland have 20000+ members, what do they do with all that money.

When I use to race, it was a big bone of contention, that no money was put back into local racing. That organisers of races have to pay cycling ireland to host races and pay for prizes.

I understand CI, as a voluntary body, are improving all the time and I have respect forthe organisation and what it does.

thanks

Laz

ps I am aware of this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58207143

Do you think Cycling Ireland Licence is Evenly distrubuted 21 votes

Currently Investing in National teams and Developent is the way to go
    0% 0 votes
    I feel they should invest more local events and races.
    28% 6 votes
    They are doing the best they can with the Allocated Resources
    52% 11 votes
    No opinion.
    19% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Not all members take out racing licences so only a minority are paying 125 for a full racing licence. The club membership fee is nothing to do with CI.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Not all members take out racing licences so only a minority are paying 125 for a full racing licence. The club membership fee is nothing to do with CI.

Understood,

It still doesnt take from the fact that more funds should be invested locally.

why is the 125 nothing to do with cycling ireland?

thanks for the reply

Laz

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lazairus wrote: »
    ...what do they do with all that money.

Full breakdown of where the money comes from and where it goes is published annually.

They're roundabout breaking even, so if you want to reduce the cost of a racing licence and put more money into local racing, you'll have to make significant cuts somewhere.

Bear in mind too that some revenue comes with conditions attached, such as Irish Sports Council grants.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How many triathlons do you get for that €58? Then how much do you pay to enter a triathlon?

Compare that with Road races - often 2-3 a week within each province from February to September, plus club league racing

Add to that multiple CX races over the winter

Then there's track, BMX, MTB'ing opportunities, as well as quite heavy investment in the likes of Corkagh Park

On top of that there are numerous CI sanctioned leisure events pretty much throughout the year. Your €125 goes a very long way

Don't think we can really compare with the triathlon community.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

club competition licence plus club membership plus extra ulster fee 90 euro. Yeh it's pretty expensive imo for me to ride a few tt's every year.
    But I pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lazairus wrote: »
    Understood,

It still doesnt take from the fact that more funds should be invested locally.

why is the 125 nothing to do with cycling ireland?

thanks for the reply

Laz

I said that the club membership fee is nothing to do with CI, not the €125 full racing licence.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Then how much do you pay to enter a triathlon?
    Actually there you go - 1 triathlon for the price of 2 CI racing licences. I stand by my comment you cannot really compare the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

If we're going to continue comparing apples with laptops here's a cycling race for $281.45 https://granfondony.com/ - one off expensive races prove nothing about any sport.

The point remains that €160 for a licence to be allowed pay a further €10 or €15 per road race and €15 to €25 per offroad race is expensive.
    The question is is it worth it.

No-one makes any money out of racing bikes (not below the elite level anyway) - be it racers, organisers or the likes of CI. Reduce the fees and something else has to give. Is it worth it? Plenty of people clearly think so, as more and more keep paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Peterx wrote: »
    The point remains that €160 for a licence...

125 for a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Exaxctly €155 for unattached cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Beasty wrote: »
    No-one makes any money out of racing bikes (not below the elite level anyway) - be it racers, organisers or the likes of CI. Reduce the fees and something else has to give. Is it worth it? Plenty of people clearly think so, as more and more keep paying it.

Organising a race can be quite profitable in some cases, good way to help fund a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

nak wrote: »
    Organising a race can be quite profitable in some cases, good way to help fund a club.

I think most races run at a loss or breakeven level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'd love to hear more about the profitability of running races because we have trouble getting ours to break even, one of which is one of the biggest one day races in the country.

I think that's a slightly different discussion to be honest. Race entry fees come after the licence fee.

Clubs should not be making a loss to run races. At the very least it not fair on the few clubs that do come forward to run races.

However I am amazed at the largesse of cash prizes after road races. There's no need for money prizes down to 8th place in cat 1/2 and 6th in cat 3.
    In increments of a tenner that alone is €210 for cat 3 and €360 for cat 1/2 or 57 riders entry fees at a €10 a head (38 riders at €15 entry fee), just to cover prize money. Madness.

lennymc wrote: »
    125 for a licence

apologies, not 160, it's 155.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I think most races run at a loss or breakeven level.

It depends what kind of race it is and how many entrants. I'm assuming that road races would be the most expensive to organise, I was referring to off-road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

nak wrote: »
    It depends what kind of race it is and how many entrants. I'm assuming that road races would be the most expensive to organise, I was referring to off-road.

Off-races have expenses, that road races don't have: Paramedics, Coillte, timing, number plates, toilets, tent hire, Uplift for DH races, course preparation, taping of courses, etc.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Off-races have expenses, that road races don't have: Paramedics, Coillte, timing, number plates, toilets, tent hire, Uplift for DH races, course preparation, taping of courses, etc.

Wasn't referring to DH races either, have friends who organise CX races in the UK of the no frills variety and they make a profit from it due to sponsors covering the cost of tape, numbers etc.

Was merely suggesting that it could be a way of making money for clubs (not a huge amount, but something).

Advertisement