Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp invasions in Berlin

• 03-06-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I have been to Berlin a few times, usually in the middle or before the summer. However, last year I went in late September and discovered the city to be overrun with wasps. Does anybody know anything about this? I had never seen this invasion in or before the summer but was shocked to come across it in September. Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid but I was put off all the open food displays where enormous numbers of them just crawled all over the cakes and pastries while the regulars didn't seem to care. Does anybody know if this is a regular thing in Berlin and when does it usually begin? I want to go to Berlin again this year but I am concerned about this invasion happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

door wrote: »
    I have been to Berlin a few times, usually in the middle or before the summer. However, last year I went in late September and discovered the city to be overrun with wasps. Does anybody know anything about this? I had never seen this invasion in or before the summer but was shocked to come across it in September. Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid but I was put off all the open food displays where enormous numbers of them just crawled all over the cakes and pastries while the regulars didn't seem to care. Does anybody know if this is a regular thing in Berlin and when does it usually begin? I want to go to Berlin again this year but I am concerned about this invasion happening?

I go to Berlin every summer and have never seen this, I was there in August last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭door

Galadriel wrote: »
    I go to Berlin every summer and have never seen this, I was there in August last year.

This article pretty much sums what I experienced last year: http://caketastrophe.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/things-i-hate-about-berlin-1/

Hopefully this August isn't as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

You have to learn to love mother nature and all her creatures equally. Chill out, man.

I've been to Berlin more summers than I can count and have never noticed this 'problem'. I'm going again this July and don't expect it, either.

I'm much more concerned about stag parties infesting Friedricshain.

So I've heard from the people fortunate enough not to have experienced insects crawling around the food you intend to eat in Berlin. Anybody else who has come across it? The link I posted above shows it certainly is a reality. Just interested to know when it usually begins and what causes it. As mentioned in the first post I've been to Berlin pre and mid summer and only experienced it in September. I'm guessing it is a post-summer event but more feedback would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

As I said earlier I go most Summers; I have been to Berlin in March, April, May, July and August and haven't seen it before.

• Advertisement

Hi Galadriel, thanks for your input, but I'm not actually looking for people who haven't seen it but people like myself or that blogger in the link above who have. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

door wrote: »
    Hi Galadriel, thanks for your input, but I'm not actually looking for people who haven't seen it but people like myself or that blogger in the link above who have. Thanks anyway.

Why? Why not just book your holiday to Berlin earlier in the summer when you and most people have not witnessed this invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

This is a strange conversation. The OP's request is a bit weird: ask if Berlin is prone to a wasp invasion in summer, people who've been say they've never experienced such a thing, OP doesn't won't accept an answer until someone confirms the OP's preconceived view.

So either the OP just doesn't trust people who've been in Berlin many summers or, I dunno, it's a lazy 'journalist' doing 'research'.

sarkozy wrote: »
    This is a strange conversation. The OP's request is a bit weird: ask if Berlin is prone to a wasp invasion in summer, people who've been say they've never experienced such a thing, OP doesn't won't accept an answer until someone confirms the OP's preconceived view.

So either the OP just doesn't trust people who've been in Berlin many summers or, I dunno, it's a lazy 'journalist' doing 'research'.

Hi Sarkozy, I know it happens. I'm just curious to hear when it roughly begins. I don't need it confirmed. I know it happens. Plenty of websites and my own eyes confirm this for me. (Nothing is preconceived) I'm not looking for confirmation whether it does or doesn't happen. I know it does. I'm hoping for some insight on why it happens and when it roughly begins and not people telling me they never saw it. Please read the original post before commenting. Thank you anyway.

Updated to my post:
    Other than the extremely detailed blog post above as well as plenty of Tripadvisor posts, here is another website which confirms what I saw myself, giving a vivid picture on line 3:
    http://blogs.angloinfo.com/health-its-the-little-things/2013/09/06/wasps-and-co-a-natural-combat/

However, no site yet explains why it happens but this one states that it begins in mid August. This is what this thread is about. (I have never "seen" a murder take place but I know they happen)

Why? Why not just book your holiday to Berlin earlier in the summer when you and most people have not witnessed this invasion?

Hi Schemingbohemia. It's really a matter of timing. I would like to go earlier but it's not suitable this year. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've just deleted some posts & *temporarily closed this thread. If the op would like this thread re-opened, then they can message me.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/* may not be re-opened

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement