Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

eth0 wrote: »
    would you need a special cable for this since RJ45 isn't a standard USB connector or have they gone about it some other way?

i always wanted to throw a small server in between the two floors of a house, just a small fanless embedded thing with a small SSD for storage, along a cat5 cable that was serving some other part of the house so they wouldn't wonder what purpose it serves. throw in a 5 port switch that runs off the same power supply and run a few more connector boxes off it to a few of the rooms.

it would be even better if you were selling the gaff to someone who'd want a good broadband connection and log into it remotely. the thing would likely die of natural causes before anyone went looking for it

You could plug the network cable from that hidden server into home plug plugged into a socket hidden betweem the joists?

btw I have an infallable computer detection device - its called a Long Wave Radio :mad:, just try listening to Radio 4 LW when there is a computer on anywhere nearby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

More repairs to my little greenhouse.

Something is crapping in my new raised bed and digging up the plants and leaving crap:eek: Anyone know how i identify it? Can only be a cat or a fox, we get both.
    Also how do I stop it? Would this be illegal?

16-tons-weight.jpg

Will it be edible?

Seriously, any ideas for prevention would be appreciated, I presume I need to add netting or something.

Oh and can i still eat the lettuce that is growing in the bed. If I eat it raw will I get toxoplasmosis or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Its likely a cat and not a fox. In urban areas you obviously cant shoot the fecker but you could catch it in a cat trap and give it back to the neighbour who claims to own it. If no one owns it im sure you would not have trouble getting rid of it. Cats are a big bloody pest and need to be controled and to answer your question, no that would not be illegal but defo would not be edible after that!! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

it'll be bloody cats, craped in all my leuttice to, an when i reseeded the lawn they rooted holes and crapped there to.
    they'll keep comming back to
    bonniebede wrote: »
    More repairs to my little greenhouse.

Something is crapping in my new raised bed and digging up the plants and leaving crap:eek: Anyone know how i identify it? Can only be a cat or a fox, we get both.
    Also how do I stop it? Would this be illegal?

16-tons-weight.jpg

Will it be edible?

Seriously, any ideas for prevention would be appreciated, I presume I need to add netting or something.

Oh and can i still eat the lettuce that is growing in the bed. If I eat it raw will I get toxoplasmosis or something?

Added to food storage, 1 bag of sugar, four tins from tesco value range - meatballs and chicken curry. Will try them out and let you know what I think at some stage.

also another thermometer, for the car bob FAK.

and ordered a few bits from deal extreme.

Shopping is the real way to escape any stress.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My prep today will mostly be catching up on what has been going on here :D

Followed by looking for another job as I have been stuck in the middle of no where the last 3 months and cannot take it more:eek: Now in one of the biggest cities in the world for a couple of weeks R&R and cannot figure a bug out plan for the life of me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

stored some crap:
    • 3kg of salt
    • pasta
    • oats
    • oil
    • vitamins and minerals
    • tinned fruits

and spent the evening building the first half or so of a new/bigger/tougher/faster food dehydrator. I had not really planned that for prepery, I just like jerky.

Im studying for my final exams at the moment, so i need a few post library hours of doing something to unwind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

mawk wrote: »
    and spent the evening building the first half or so of a new/bigger/tougher/faster food dehydrator. I had not really planned that for prepery, I just like jerky.
    Sounds like fun, whats involved in setting that up?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Sounds like fun, whats involved in setting that up?

not the worlds most complicated build at all. just something fun for a few hours.

a case with a layer of foil inside to reflect the light (and make for easy cleaning). A 60w lightbulb for a little warmth and some fans to draw the air out of the case and with it, moisture.

I pulled a few 80mm computer type fans off something going in a bin last week so im using those. the only possible awkward part is there, I stripped the cables for two of them, and off a transformer (dunno off what, christmas lights?) and soldered the fan cables together and then, them to the transformer to make the fans simple and mains powered.
    then i hole saw'd two holes to fit those and glued the fans on the outside of those. Screws would have worked better but i couldnt find any the right size close to hand.

light bulb went in a standard ceiling fitting and suspends from the top of the case and is just wired to about ten feet of cable and a plug, just so it can stretch from a socket. nothing fancy

marinaded meat then goes on a steel mesh on a shelf inside. old one was fairly crap and took about 18-20 hours. hopefully this one will half that.

ill try remember to stick up some photos when its done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I found an oul small but tough plastic bottle into which I decanted some camp fuel, that's about six months supply and it just about squeezes into one of my pouches, with flints and wicks taped to it. Nice. Its amazing the amount of obvious (in hindsight) little things you can do that greatly extend your capabilities.

• Advertisement

Ok. I started looking at this site from a vague interest in scifi and a vague interest in prepping and now i've gone nuts.

What I should be doing is finishing a piece of long overdue academic work which i have to get done by Friday. What I actually did was design a raised bed for the garden, sourced some tanalised wood, got it cut to size, got into the car (miracle) and unloaded it all into the garden.

Oh and bought a cordless drill from argos which doesn't actually have a drill bit. AAAARGH.

Thank goodness for Aldi - wouldn't you know, 179 piece drill bit set coming in tomorrow.

Now here's a question for people who actually make things, like, will those drill bits fit in this drill, is there a standard for for these things? Or do I have to go back to Argos and go postal because their add said 'drill' and the picture showed a drillbit and you don't find out till you get home that there is none in the box:mad:

Somewhere in my dreams I am the suave master prepper for whom all this runs very somoothly. Can it be that life's not actually like that??:rolleyes:

Anyway new garden bed design should allow me to deal withe the cat problem. Or if not, maybe the new drill will.:D

Ok. I started looking at this site from a vague interest in scifi and a vague interest in prepping and now i've gone nuts.

What I should be doing is finishing a piece of long overdue academic work which i have to get done by Friday. What I actually did was design a raised bed for the garden, sourced some tanalised wood, got it cut to size, got into the car (miracle) and unloaded it all into the garden.

Oh and bought a cordless drill from argos which doesn't actually have a drill bit. AAAARGH.

Thank goodness for Aldi - wouldn't you know, 179 piece drill bit set coming in tomorrow.

Now here's a question for people who actually make things, like, will those drill bits fit in this drill, is there a standard for for these things? Or do I have to go back to Argos and go postal because their add said 'drill' and the picture showed a drillbit and you don't find out till you get home that there is none in the box:mad:

Somewhere in my dreams I am the suave master prepper for whom all this runs very somoothly. Can it be that life's not actually like that??:rolleyes:

Anyway new garden bed design should allow me to deal withe the cat problem. Or if not, maybe the new drill will.:D

hey there bonnie, welcome to the madness. and welcome to building things too. drills almost never come with drill bits. some cheap ones do but they usually come with horrible blunt cheap ones. the aldi bits will fit fine, up to about 10mm holes. but beyond that you wont be using a normal drill bit. you will be using 3-6mm ish for a wooden planter( pilot holes for screws or bolts)
    the metal or wood bits will both be fine, but dont use the masonry ones with the sort of flat heads.

remember: screws are cheap, but **** falling apart is annoying, so add extra.

if you need any advice, ask here and ill try help.

@ bonniebede you might not want any drillbits at all, most of the time making up something like you are I drive the screws striaght throw the wood using the drill with a screwdriver bit. Now remember if you do that the screw driver bits don't last that long and the cheap ones not very long at all so if the bit slips in the screwhead it probably needs replacing with a new one.

My frames are made up of 4inch x 1 1/4inch timber and just butt joined in the corners with 3 number 5 or 6 about 80mm long screws (80mm minimum normally 100mm and when I have them 120mm) but your drill might not handle the larger screw sizes (not have the power) and thats when pre drilling the holes might help at least pre drill the cross grained sections which also helps prevent splitting.

Edit> If you are driving long screws a tiny bit of lubricant on the tip of the screw goes a long way, traditional methods are to rub the screw thread with a bit of wax candle, bit of soap or even a touch of washing up liquid (using oil is jut tooooo easy), many screws are now pre-lubricated because most are put straight in with a drill/driver but a littly more lubricant often helps.

Thanks guys, emm, i think i got very sturdy timber:o

So I'll probably go with the whole pre drilling thing. I'm used to an electric screwdriver for flat packed stuff, i guess this is just one step further.

What can I say- When they were teaching this stuff at school I was learning to sew and cook.:) (Maybe I should just knit myself a raised bed.)

kuyck_knitting_girl.jpg

Hope they have some left on Monday morning, no Sunday shopping for me. I think I'll use this as my 'reward' to motivate me to get some REAL work done. Ahh, the trials of having the strength of character of a three year old.

Dont pre drill it will be stronger if you dont!

Dont pre drill it will be stronger if you dont!

Depends, on the timber, the screw, how the timber is orientated and if not pre drilling results in the wood splitting. If it is hardwood you are screwing into then you'd normally pre drill every hole, softwood with the right screws not close to end grain you normally wouldn't.

When I use part thread 120mm #6's there is no way I can drive those without splitting the cross grained timber if I don't pre drill. Pre drilling in that case also allows me to get an acurate start on the direction the screw is going in at, with 1 1/4 inches of end grain to aim at if you go off by a few degrees your in trouble.

In my case I'd be butting the side of one end of a plank againt the end grain of another (repeating that for the other 3 corners) so I'd pre drill the cross grain side of the plank because I'm near the edge but not pre drill the end grain because the grip you get in it is crap enough to start with.

2259264833_9e82657444_m.jpg
    I know you can argue thats not very strong but with 3 120mm long screws across 4 inches its more than strong enough and quick to put together provided all you timber is cut squarely. In fact most of the time I'd use one 120mm screw in the middle and slightly shorter ones (cheaper ones as screws that size aren't that cheap) either side of it.

In that picture above I'd only pre drill the top piece of timber, I'd then use a clamp or vice to hold the joint together while I put the screws in. With part threaded screws if the joint is a bit loose to start with they will pull it up tight. If you use full threaded screws you need to make sure the joint is held very tightly together to start with unless you over drill the top piece of timber (make the whole over sized) because the screws thread is acting equally on both bits of timber and not just one so won't pull the joint tight. - if you understand that you have a better grasp of language than I obviously do :o

My plan is to put in corner posts, and screw the boards onto them.

THat way I can sink the posts abit, as its going against a wall, and i'm only making three sides to it.

Also the posts can come up above the bed to attach netting to, as its mostly fruit in that bed, and also to stop cats.

Thinking if i make it and then drop it in place it should work.

My plan is to put in corner posts, and screw the boards onto them.

THat way I can sink the posts abit, as its going against a wall, and i'm only making three sides to it.

Also the posts can come up above the bed to attach netting to, as its mostly fruit in that bed, and also to stop cats.

Thinking if i make it and then drop it in place it should work.

If you put in a 4th side it will help make it easier to drop in place, doesn't need to be in the same wood or even across the back, a piece of timber temporarly screwed across the middle of it will help hold it all square while you move it.

Bought stuff of course:rolleyes:

Hexamine tabs.

nice dry sack, planning to rearrange gear so it can be more easily divided between a teotwawki bag and an ordinary walk in the mountains bag, using the same bag but with lift in and out bits.

More garden wire. I lost the last bit. I never knew I had so many uses for it till i got some to make snares, now I'm lost without it.

Duct tape. Have no idea what to do with it, but everyone seems to include it in their kit. Ideas on a postcard please!:)

Dibber for the garden. Now I know it makes sense, having planted stuff out without one. Yahoo, an actual, honest to God need driven purchase.

Out door thermometer for the garden.

Nice little RHS family gardening book, lots of pictures, for a friend with small children. The little lad of three wants to 'be a farmer' so a little urban plot might be a good start.

finally made my survival tin last night. fit a lot of crap in!

• Advertisement

Have you tried out your snares bonnie?

Have you tried out your snares bonnie?

No, though i'm tempted to start with the kitty that has decided that raised bed gardening is actually a scheme to produce giant litter trays. (only joking, I like cats) (with barbecue sauce).

Very busy at the moment, so some projects on the long finger. A butcher near me sells rabbits, so step one is the plan to see if I can learn to cook them nicely. Maybe during the summer. If we have one. (Was that it last tuesday?)

mawk wrote: »
    finally made my survival tin last night. fit a lot of crap in!

Show and tell :D and a list of items is always a good read, often surprises me what I've missed out or what clever uses people have found for things.

Duct tape. Have no idea what to do with it, but everyone seems to include it in their kit. Ideas on a postcard please!:)

Loads on the web like this and this but also a handy addition to a FAK and something to stick over blisters on you feet to keep you mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Check out Mythbusters Duck tape specials :p

My Favorites :D

Thermal protection - Wrap a couple of layers around lip of metal mug to stop your lips burning when drinking hot liquids. Handy additional supply of tape in a survival kit;)

Temporary Repair Kit - Shoes, bodies, boats, clothes, cars, bikes, windows, ponchos, electrical......... I could go on all day. I have repaired holes in jackets and once even when my trousers split in the office:eek: My van still has tape around a coolant hose I repaired 3 years ago.

Rescue kit - Once saved my keys from a storm drain in America using duck tape and stick I found at the side of a road.

Fancy Dress - I have made bat capes, fake eye brows and beards, pirate hat and even a tuxedo out of black tape for fancy dress parties in the Military when on tour. The limits are only your creativity, I have seen sharks, aliens, robots and even a man dressed as a woman with duck tape boobs and bra and cocktail dress. Not a nice look with hairy legs, in fact I feel a little sick

Show and tell :D and a list of items is always a good read, often surprises me what I've missed out or what clever uses people have found for things.

its a lot of work to unpack and photo.. but it contains:
    • lighter
    • superglue
    • meds- iburofen, aspin antihistamines
    • four plasters
    • alcohol wipe
    • 2 single edged razors
    • plastic handled craft type knife
    • spool of thread and a needle
    • s/g shot and fishing hooks
    thinking now, it needs a button cell led torch. and some wire. and some tape...

oh, and a small strip of bike tyre rubber which lights fires well and even burns in the lashing rain.

the whole thing is small, all goes in a small camera case

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

krissovo wrote: »
    Thermal protection - Wrap a couple of layers around lip of metal mug to stop your lips burning when drinking hot liquids.

Brilliant idea, must try this to insulate the handle of the mug I use on my hexi. No more faffing about with a tshirt to pick it up.

I will need to be careful to make sure the mug handle sits far enough outwards not to melt/singe the tape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A 10L plastic fuel can Lidl and also decided to try out the self inflating matress (useful for car camping, but not by shanks mare).

Also bought a Coleman duel-fuel lantern recently in the UK £52 (the box was water damaged) along with a British Army DPM gas mask bag (unissued) for £4.

Edit: Forgot to recommend these little dynamo torches. Arrived very quickly and I got two for very little money. Recommended for kids, the car or a prepper stocking filler :D

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A 10L plastic fuel can Lidl and also decided to try out the self inflating matress (useful for car camping, but not by shanks mare).

Also bought a Coleman duel-fuel lantern recently in the UK £52 (the box was water damaged) along with a British Army DPM gas mask bag (unissued) for £4.

Edit: Forgot to recommend these little dynamo torches. Arrived very quickly and I got two for very little money. Recommended for kids, the car or a prepper stocking filler :D

Used the Lidl 10L plastic fuel can for the first time today, might sound daft but I had decided to keep an empty one in the car boot and remembered while out that if I was going to cut the lawn today (fingers crossed) I needed petrol. Anyway strange caps on the fuel can, they are child proof, and far better quality than many other cans I've used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

What did I do to prepare today?
    Found my new favourite forum :)
    Looks like I have a lot of reading and work to do. Some fantastic info on here.

Advertisement