Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

HuntingDrog, I was in Athens for the Olympics and I'd be slow to recommend going to the morning athletics sessions. The stadium was half empty, atmosphere was non-existent and events weren't great to be honest - obviously all heats, field qualifiers etc - it might be different in London crowd wise ....

On the evening schedule it couldn't be more different. We were there for 3 evenings and the atmosphere was incredible, so much going on, medals being decided etc. Finals are split over lots of evenings so they're almost all going to be good.

Enjoy
    PK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm waiting on confirmation on what various events I'll be applying for from the brother, but I think the plan is to try for a couple of different days, and going for both the day and evening sessions. If we get them all then great, although selling off the day time ones may not be possible. But at least we'll have more chance of getting at least some tickets.

Things are a bit more complicated in trying to arrange between three different families, two continents, and some pre-teen girls who are more likely to be interested in the likes of synchro swimming, gymnastics and horse type things. So have to include some of those events as well to appease them. At least their tickets will be cheaper for everything except the evening final events.

My credit card is not looking forward to May though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I found it tough to select days myself. Got peed off in the end so my selection was a bit random. Also applied for tickets for boxing and beach volleyball (womens obviously :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Ya. It's a bit of a minefield alright. I know what u are saying PK about the morning sessions but we will prob only be over there for a night or two so we kind of want to cram it in with 2 sessions at the stadium.
    However now that I'm thinking, maybe I should try and see what other events are on in the morning elsewhere and then go to the evening stadium session.
    Ok that's something to check out. Tks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Just a word of warning re. booking tickets (as reported in UK newspapers earlier this week).

You are not "booking" the tickets, rather you are "applying" for tickets. You may not get the tickets you have requested and if you "apply" for overlapping sessions in order to make sure you get to see some event, you could end up getting both sets of tickets for the same time.

ALSO, you have to make sure that your credit card can pay for ALL of the tickets you applied for, even if you did not get them allocated. Something wierd about having to pay, in advance, for tickets even if you don't get them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12825876
    "Warning urged
    Speaking earlier on BBC Radio 4's Moneybox programme, Martyn Saville from consumer rights group Which? said the booking system was "crazy".

He said it was wrong that those who had put in a bid for tickets, and were successful, would have the money taken from their accounts as early as 10 May but without warning. It could then be as late as 24 June before they were told which tickets they had been awarded, he sai
    d."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You won't have to pay for tickets that you don't get, but you won't know what tickets you have got until after they have taken the money from your card. So you need to have the money on your card to cover the chance that you do get all that you apply for.

There will be a method of selling the tickets back at the beginning of 2012, but I expect it will be a systems where you only get your money back if someone else actually applies for that same ticket that you have. There will not be any way of just saying "I don't want this ticket, give me my money back". It will be entirely dependent on someone else wanting that ticket first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Personally I think the application system is good so far in that it's not first come, first served and you have several weeks to make a decision as to what tickets you want to apply for, so it's good that there's no rush.

The bad thing is that assuming you are successful in getting tickets, you are charged for them in May, but that you don't know until June what tickets you've actually got. So in theory you could apply and rack up £1000 of tickets with the assumption that you probably won't get them all, but then you could end up getting them all and be stuck with extra tickets.

It's hard to know what to do. Do you apply for a final ticket and a semi-final ticket in the hope you get to at least one of them, and if so, do you spend a bit more to try and increase your chances of getting tickets?

Personally I think the 6 week application window is good. But ideally they should then start allocating the tickets at some point after the application window has closed and let people know what they've got and give them the option of either accepting them or declining them, before they get charged.

It leaves a few tricky decisions anyway. Do you fork out extra for the 100 metres final and possibly go for the semi-final as a backup? The questions are endless :)

I think it is a good system to try and ensure that as many seats are filled as possible. If your happy to pay for semi tickets and not use them then there may be some empty seats, bit they are counting on everyone turning up and they then wont need to bus in loads of Chinese people to fill up the stadiums in the early rounds.

*may not be Chinese and would probably just be local school kids if London needs to do such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Tried to apply for the tickets but they only accept visa, not mastercard! So thats me sort of screwed..

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Tried to apply for the tickets but they only accept visa, not mastercard! So thats me sort of screwed..

I got a visa debit card from tsb during the week to replace my atm card and you can use that to apply for tickets to the olympics. If you are with TSB you should be getting one soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    I got a visa debit card from tsb during the week to replace my atm card and you can use that to apply for tickets to the olympics. If you are with TSB you should be getting one soon

Unfortunately Im BOI and not TSB. So I applied for a Ryanair visa card yesterday. Not sure how long that process will take.. Hoping they'll get in contact with me soon!!

I can't work out what to try and get tickets for. I know what I want tickets for, but the price went up to about £650 sterling. I also noticed the events were quite spread out, with the marathon for example not happening until a week after the 100m final.

Can't really decide what to get tickets for.

Just been given the listing of what tickets my US based brother wants me to bid for on his behalf, he is also getting another friend of his to bid as well so that the full set of us can get to as many events as possible. Works out at about £3000 worth of tickets we'l be bidding for altogether by the looks of it. :eek:

Will be worth it if we get them though. I just need to pick something I want to go to on the days the rest of them are going to the gymnastics or eventing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

robinph wrote: »
    I just need to pick something I want to go to on the days the rest of them are going to the gymnastics or eventing.

Beach Vollyball :). Went to this in Athens and was one of the highlights of my life! Sun, beer, DJ, Olympic Cheerleaders :cool:. Awesome afternoon of entertainment sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RedB wrote: »
    Beach Vollyball :). Went to this in Athens and was one of the highlights of my life! Sun, beer, DJ, Olympic Cheerleaders :cool:. Awesome afternoon of entertainment sport

In Athens maybe. Whitehall on a rainy afternoon doesn't sound quite as appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm applying for the Tue 7th Aug evening session. Mens 1,500 and womens 100 hurdles finals. As other posters have said , it's impossible to know how many events to apply for as you mightn't be successfull in half of them.
    I have applied for Basketball, Swimming, Tennis, Eventing, Showjumping and Boxing also. One event each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

General question here on Olympics Tickets but do you only get 1 chance to apply for Tickets???

I applied this yesterday morning for Athletics on 5th Aug, CC details, Confirmation email received, all good. Then wanted to also get some for 10th Aug, but wont let me Add tickets additional on my account ???

Message below from the London 2012 site, (my account) ???

"Your application has already been submitted"
    Your application history - Submitted on 13 April 2011

Do I now need to cancel the application and re-apply ?

Anyway else go through this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

In Athens, I thought the highlight was the men's 5000 metres final. Class.

Enjoyed the high jump too and...........and............and..........was very lucky with the men's 100 metres final, directly facing the athlethes down the track. Funny thing was, it seemed like slow motion in real life!

All evening athlethics events, would not do anything else, fabulous athmosphere. Got all nights applied for except the Men's 200m Final. Anyone remember Kostas Kenteris??!!

The last night is a good choice.

- Swimming was brilliant
    - Couldn't follow the velodrome cycling cos they kept changing the race type as soon as I managed to work out the rules :rolleyes:
    - Table tennis and diving was a pain in the neck
    - Triathlon beyond brilliant
    - Soccer ok

Haven't decided either way yet. Not impressed with the ticket prices. Even with the reduced travel costs, these prices are very high :mad:

It's a bit of a nightmare trying to select what to apply for and not really having any idea what, if any, tickets you will end up getting. Also a lot of the events I was thinking about are quite spread out. For example the first few days of the athletics there is stuff on I want to see, then a gap of about 4 or 5 days where I haven't selected anything, which means extra accommodation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

G-Money wrote: »
    It's a bit of a nightmare trying to select what to apply for and not really having any idea what, if any, tickets you will end up getting. Also a lot of the events I was thinking about are quite spread out. For example the first few days of the athletics there is stuff on I want to see, then a gap of about 4 or 5 days where I haven't selected anything, which means extra accommodation costs.

+1.

We (myself and my dad) went to Athens for 10 days/8 days of competition.

We had no problem then and it was very simple. No gaps except that one evening as mentioned and used to potter to stuff in the am/noon, really laid back holiday. Very well organised. Train from city center to stadium. 10/10 enjoyment.

Not feeling the buzz here. Thinking if we apply for the last 5 days of athlethics and only get one, it'll be a disaster. Think the cycling track will be massively over-subscribed, and my dad really wants to go to that again.

Does anyone recall if this was the system in Athens? i.e. if you put in an option to buy, you HAD TO buy???

I do Wimbleton every year and that's a lottery with an option to buy - works well. Yes, I understand it's on a small scale!

• Advertisement

Luckily I've free accommodation in London if I happen to get tickets for stuff on consecutive days, there are also a few days with free stuff on as well which I'll be going to. Otherwise I guess I'll have to occasionally make an appearance in work some days during it and catch up with the rest of what is going on on the telly box. Hopefully not too many days though.

What has the ticket process been like for previous Olympics? I've never tried to go to an Olympics before so I've no idea.

Just went through the site again picking more tickets to add to my application, currently the potential bill is about £905 sterling :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Trying to finalise selections here
    Trying to match the events that me and the missus want to go to as well as seeing what's likely to work with somebody minding the little ones at home or having to take someone with us to mind them
    It also looks like its going to cost a fortune for the two of us:
    Hoping to get to see athletics, boxing and basketball at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Think this will be the selection for me. Just waiting to hear back from mate and brother cos I'll probably apply for the 3 of us.

4th Aug / Swimming / 19:30 – 21:00 / Includes; 4x100m men medley / £50

4th Aug / Athletics / 10:00 – 13:45 / Includes; 100m men’s heats / £20

5th Aug / Tennis / 12:00 – 20:30 / Singles Men Final + Doubles Women’s final / £65

5th Aug / Athletics / 18:50 – 21:55 / 1oom men’s final / £50

7th Aug / Athletics / 10:00 – 12:35 / 200m men round 1 / £20

7th Aug / Soccer / 17:00 – 19:00 / Semi (x1) / £30

8th Aug / Basketball / 14:00 – 18:00 / Quarter Finals, men, (x2) / £35

8th Aug / Basketball / 20:00 – 00:00 / Quarter Finals, men, (x2) / £35

9th Aug / Boxing / 16:30 – 18:00 / Women’s Finals (All 3) / £50

9th Aug (?) / Athletics / 18:30 – 22:10 / 200m men final + 800m men final / £50

11th Aug / Soccer / 15:00 – 17:30 / Final / £40

11th Aug (?) / Athletics / 18:45 – 21:30 / 4x100m men + 5000 men / £40

12th Aug / Closing ceremony / 19:30 – 22:30 / £20.12

I put in for both ceremony's at the £20.12 price purely because it would be wrong not to try. You never know...It could be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭runjb

Sent my application there...prioritised the athletics events

Aug 5th (evening)

Aug 6th (morning and evening)

Aug 7th (evening)

Aug 9th (evening)

Aug 11th (evening)

A lot of action in those days, lets hope I get the tickets now, can't wait!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Sent in my application....
    Now you never know what our luck will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Does anyone know when the Marathon is on? I know you don't need tickets for that :rolleyes: just wondering. EDIT: found it, August 5th, starts at 11am.

EDIT EDIT: I found this link to check for events dates. It gives the marathon at two dates, 5th Aug for women and 12th Aug for Men. Is that usually what happens?

Yep, it's normal for the two marathons to be a week apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

robinph wrote: »
    I put in for both ceremony's at the £20.12 price purely because it would be wrong not to try. You never know...It could be you.
    You'll be very very lucky. Just watching the BBC news and there are huge numbers in for the main events.
    It was also discussed on the radio this morning. Even if you don't get a ticket and you are really into it, you could go to London anyway as the there'll be a massive buzz around the city and big screens put up.

Advertisement