Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

we attended the early show in Gorey.

it was packed out. a great appreciative audience.

i could'nt believe how the long running time passed so quickly.

one of the better super hero efforts if i say so meself.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I am going tonight. At long last. All i want to know is there a scene at the very end of the credits or was that all bollocks? I know there is one midway through the credits.

A simple yes or no will do here. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I think the new american pie movie will kick this movie's ass:D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I am going tonight. At long last. All i want to know is there a scene at the very end of the credits or was that all bollocks? I know there is one midway through the credits.

A simple yes or no will do here. thanks

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

i dont think hawkeye, black widow , or fury have enough appeal to drive a major film on their own but as part of a shield one i think you could have something great.

With SJ growing into the role of BW in Avengers I think they could pull off a low budget movie similar to The Punisher and it would make money. I'd love to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

*bangs head*
    This is not what we're saying at all. We're saying that even on its own terms and on a comparative level with its appropriate peers The Avengers falls short of success: the reasons for this have been laid out several times by several posters over the last few pages. Notice that we're comparing it to other Marvel, Whedon and action films rather than Citizen Kane, Le Havre or Koyaanisqatsi. Accusations of snobbery are unfair, when in fact pretty much everyone in this thread has been reasonable and clear-headed in their criticisms pro and against the film.

This maybe some peoples opinion but certainly not all of them. I think it was as successful as it could be with the number of characters and stars looking for their screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

hightower1 wrote: »
    TBH people saying the didnt like it just come off as wanting to not like it and pick apart things like subtext and charecter development in order to seem like some movie snob and not like what the masses like.

Its a comic book movie at the end of the day, its was an entertaining flick and didnt set out to be anything but that or ever have the potential to be citizen kane ffs. Give some people a bun and they complain its not foie gras :rolleyes:

Strawman. Attack the poster and not the argument. Don't take criticism of the film so personally.

As an action film it could and should have been a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

saw it today and was very impressed. the first act was a bit ropey but when the momentum got going it was awesome.

only thing i would of liked to see was maybe another villian alongside loki, someone ala red skull.

mark ruffalo as hulk and captain america were brilliant i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

They have significantly dumbed him down. A few decent moments in fights, but mostly he's one of the weakest and ill-defined members of this particular crack team.

No they haven't, Captain America is much weaker than the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

He's not talking about physical prowess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Banner was spot on and Hulk was done perfectly. Banner had easily some of the best lines. Stark/Iron Man/RDJ was the other show stealer but that's to be expected from Iron Man.
    Black Widow, yummy stuff. I'll watch whatever she's in. I thought she had some of the best choreographed action stuff at the start.
    Cap America was his lame self. His solo film was abysmal but he didn't hokey it up a painful amount.
    Loki pulled it off(ish) enough but I wasn't too impressed with
    space goblins
    . Weak over all there.

Everything gelled together well enough and on balance I don't imagine it could have been much better than it was. Whedon pulled off a serious achievement with this, stick a feather in his hat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I watched it today and in my humble opinion I thought it was brilliant. I'm not a fan of the comics and I enjoy popcorn films so I'm not an expert by any means but it was effortless to watch with a long running time. A few real laugh out loud momemyself and I think one of the best final battles I have seen.

Fist act I was a bit worried but by the time they all "assemble" it finds it's feet.

I can see where some of the criticism is coming from but I definitely don't agree with all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Well the weekend is almost here and am really looking forward to seeing this, bit of a Marvel fan (as some will guess). Have tried not to see too much or read too much (has been hard). But there are some things I would like to see.

Would like to see Cap lift Thor's hammer, showing he is worthy
    Would like to see Iron Man almost out of juice, only to get a lightning boost from Thor.
    Would like to see Loki try to mind control the Hulk but ultimately fail.

All these could tie into a final battle, Thor been battered so he cannot concentrate and and call Mjolnir, Iron Man out of juice, Hulk under control of Loki (just), Loki tell the army to forget Cap as he is of no concern.

Then Cap managers to get to his feet makes a dash for Mjolnir, grabs it and manages to lift it and toss it to Thor. Thor calls lightning to clear the enemies and the shoots a bolt to recharge Iron Man. And of course Loki to loose control of the Hulk..............

I don't ask much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanos wrote: »
    Well the weekend is almost here and am really looking forward to seeing this, bit of a Marvel fan (as some will guess). Have tried not to see too much or read too much (has been hard). But there are some things I would like to see.

Would like to see Cap lift Thor's hammer, showing he is worthy
    Would like to see Iron Man almost out of juice, only to get a lightning boost from Thor.
    Would like to see Loki try to mind control the Hulk but ultimately fail.

All these could tie into a final battle, Thor been battered so he cannot concentrate and and call Mjolnir, Iron Man out of juice, Hulk under control of Loki (just), Loki tell the army to forget Cap as he is of no concern.

Then Cap managers to get to his feet makes a dash for Mjolnir, grabs it and manages to lift it and toss it to Thor. Thor calls lightning to clear the enemies and the shoots a bolt to recharge Iron Man. And of course Loki to loose control of the Hulk..............

I don't ask much :P

you're right on....nah I wont spoil it :pac: stay for the credits too, theres a scene 3-4 minutes into it. you'll thank me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Shryke wrote: »
    Banner was spot on and Hulk was done perfectly. Banner had easily some of the best lines. Stark/Iron Man/RDJ was the other show stealer but that's to be expected from Iron Man.
    Black Widow, yummy stuff. I'll watch whatever she's in. I thought she had some of the best choreographed action stuff at the start.
    Cap America was his lame self. His solo film was abysmal but he didn't hokey it up a painful amount.
    Loki pulled it off(ish) enough but I wasn't too impressed with
    space goblins
    . Weak over all there.

Everything gelled together well enough and on balance I don't imagine it could have been much better than it was. Whedon pulled off a serious achievement with this, stick a feather in his hat.

Space goblins? Lol, they're called the chitauri, worthy of a standalone film had their powers not been dumbed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

the part where iron man is about to give hawkeye a lift near the end, ironman grabs him from behind and quick as a flash says, "ya better clench up legolas"

anyone else hear that bit??

brilliant i thought, hulk and iron man steal the show

Was it ever explained how Stark has Caps shield in IM2 but Cap has it when he's frozen? or was it one of those fun cameos that backfired now because the continuity between the movies ruined the joke :pac: cant have been a prototype cos they addressed that in Caps own movie

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If you are referring to there not being more vibranium in the world than whats in caps shield, the one in IM2 might not have been made of vibranium and might be a non vibranium prototype.

Vibranium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What Stark had was a prototype.

EDIT what pter said

barone wrote: »
    the part where iron man is about to give hawkeye a lift near the end, ironman grabs him from behind and quick as a flash says, "ya better clench up legolas"

anyone else hear that bit??

brilliant i thought, hulk and iron man steal the show

That was funny alright. I loved
    Cap finally getting a pop culture reference in the flying monkeys, when Thor didnt know what they were talking about

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    If you are referring to there not being more vibranium in the world than whats in caps shield, the one in IM2 might not have been made of vibranium and might be a non vibranium prototype.

Vibranium.

ah, that'd make sense, they were trying to recreate other stuff so why not the shield. Would have been nice to see Stark ask Cap about his dad, or even Cap bring him up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

krudler wrote: »
    That was funny alright. I loved
    Cap finally getting a pop culture reference in the flying monkeys, when Thor didnt know what they were talking about

the one thing i think whedon did very well with cap was illustrating just how out of touch he was in terms of stuff like that.

my fav was
    the "restart the engine" scene where tony asks him to open a pannel and say what he see's and steve says "it seems to run on some form of electricity !"

stuff like that was class.

not to mention
    slipping fury a tenner. thats gotta be near racist territory now !

i really hope theres more of it in the deleted scenes on the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Fans of superheros here, my kids were hand fed from an early age. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take my 7 yr old to see this? He has seen all the Spidermen \ Hulk vs Thor \ Planet Hulk \ etc. No boobies or decapitiations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

There is some stuff thats a bit dodgy on the violence front though its mainly implied and done off screen

and a few stabbings and the like.

but nothing sexualy extreme or anything particularly gory.

TBH i reckon a 7yr old would have a blast at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭billyhead

I notice that Movies at Swords only have a 3d listing of this movie. Seems to be a money racket to get customers to buy the 3d glasses. I would rather just watch it in 2d:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pauljeremiah

went to see it in 2D last night at the new cinema in Limerick (the cinema itself is okay) but I did enjoy the film, thought that it dragged for about 15 minutes in the middle, but the last 30 minutes made up for any moments that dragged.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Just back from it. 3D was a bit of a distraction, so were the shíthead kids in the place, but other than that thought it was good.

Hulk had the best moments, especially when
    After him and Thor take down that big yoke and smacks Thor across the room and of course the Loki beat down

I'm always angry!

Also enjoyed the
    Thanos tease at the end

Was there anything after the credits were over or was that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Out of curiosity, how many people, after watching the credits teaser, had to use google?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pauljeremiah

humanji wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many people, after watching the credits teaser, had to use google?

why would people be using google after watching the credits teaser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think he means alot of the less hardcore people wouldn't have a clue who Thanos was and therefore would have no impact on them what so ever , Unlike me though outside of Doctor Doom Thanos has always been one of my favourite villains , There going to have an awful lot of work to make any of the Avengers a threat to him even hulk or Thor I don't think we'll see him for a while though as i think they'll do a few more films before Avengers 2 especially with Thanos's weapon of choice being in the weapons vault in Asguard , The Infinity Gauntlet

Who needs google when you've got boards.ie nerds lol

Advertisement