Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 years of a difference..

• 14-01-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

I was out in the Ibiza today as it was a dry day and passing through Abbeydorney i passed this Laguna at the shop. A swift U turn later and i waited for the lady to come back to her car where i asked her if she would mind a quick photoshoot. She was a bit bemused at first but got a great kick out of it, and was all apologies for the state of the Laguna!biggrin.gif

019.jpg

020.jpg

Theres light years between the two cars!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ah nice one. That opportunity could NOT be passed up :) Fair Play to the owner of the Laguna though. Your own is in good nick btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ah nice one. That opportunity could NOT be passed up . Your own is in good nick btw.
    No, it was a photo opp that i definatly couldnt resist!!:D
    The Ibiza has only 14k miles up, it only comes out on dry days.

No, it was a photo opp that i definatly couldnt resist!!:D
    The Ibiza has only 14k miles up, it only comes out on dry days.

14k? serious? :rolleyes:

What other cars you have? for a username like your own, you must have a savage collection?

14k? serious? :rolleyes:
    Yep, tis the truth, it just turned to 14k, i bought it with 13500 on it, and theres a full Joe o Connor service history to back it up!
    What other cars you have? for a username like your own, you must have a savage collection?
    I dunno if it would be called a savage collection, but i have a few retro motors alright..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

was there only ever one side view mirror on the Seat?

• Advertisement

Nice :)

My dad still has a black 1990 Ibiza Special but it has been off the road for about 7 years. Yours is in much better nick.

Yep, tis the truth, it just turned to 14k, i bought it with 13500 on it, and theres a full Joe o Connor service history to back it up!

I dunno if it would be called a savage collection, but i have a few retro motors alright..:)

a few retro motors alright carchaeologist! ;):D

tvercetti wrote: »
    was there only ever one side view mirror on the Seat?

Yep. Most old cars did. The passenger mirror was usually an option. Legally you had to have two, the drivers one and the centre one.

Karsini wrote: »
    Nice :)

My dad still has a black 1990 Ibiza Special but it has been off the road for about 7 years. Yours is in much better nick.

Thank you. If he is getting rid let me know. Dont just scrap it!! What size is the engine? The bigger ones were Porsche tuned.

Thank you. If he is getting rid let me know. Dont just scrap it!! What size is the engine? The bigger ones were Porsche tuned.
    He's considering restoring it but if he ever does decide to dispose of it I'll let you know. He's in Listowel so not too far for you at all. It's the 903cc Fiat engine, as in all of the Special editions. Not the original engine though, the original blew a head gasket. Apparently the previous owner didn't look after it at all and the internals were badly corroded. The car still ran when it was stored but doesn't start now - it's an electrical problem as no spark is being produced.

The non-Specials were 1193cc and 1461cc "System Porsche" engines alright.

• Advertisement

You know your stuff Karsini! Im impressed! If he wants a look at mine anytime it wouldn't be a problem. Can't be many left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I was out in the Ibiza today (...)

I didn't know the Ibiza was yours, but I've noticed it a good few times around town and beyond - most notably parked next to the beach cafe in Fenit on sunny days :) I've walk around it more than once, really nice and always well looked after. You really don't need a Lambo to stand out...

Quaderno wrote: »
    I didn't know the Ibiza was yours, but I've noticed it a good few times around town and beyond - most notably parked next to the beach cafe in Fenit on sunny days :) I've walk around it more than once, really nice and always well looked after. You really don't need a Lambo to stand out...
    It was only in Fenit a short while, thats where i picked it up, it was a sin to have it out in that salty air. An old woman in Tralee had it from new for 21 years. It stayed in town all that time apart from a few runs to Cork. Its not as clean as i would like, theres some bodywork to do this year.:)

It was only in Fenit a short while, thats where i picked it up, it was a sin to have it out in that salty air. An old woman in Tralee had it from new for 21 years.

Ok, it must have been me then. Since I am only in Fenit when the weather is fine I could only see the car over there on sunny days. I think it had been parked next to that derelict An Post-Berlingo (gone now as well) on the left hand side before the pier wall begins.
    Anyway, it seems to be a really rare find to have a >20 year old car with one careful lady owner and a very special number plate. And I bet it even was quite affordable to take it off her :)
    I am a big fan of clean and simple unmodified lightweight cars. In Germany I once had a 1994 Peugeot 106 that had been imported from Portugal. It had absolutely no gadgets (no power steering, no airbags, all windows and mirrors manual und not even a lid on the glove box) and so it weighed in at just 790kgs. That combined with a rare 50HP engine made it really fun to drive around town, although the seats were terrible and I wouldn't have wanted to crash it. In comparison: a 3-cylinder three door Corsa C with nothing in it is still more than 200kgs heavier than that car...

P.S. I just checked what 10KY1 would have been and it came up as a Pajero. 80KY1 on the other hand is no longer registered. Did those plates even exist that early?.

KY(and every other county)plates exist theoretically back untill 1903, but they were only introduced in 1987.
    80KY1 would have been an imported car registered here in 1987, as it doesn't show up in must be scrapped.
    Pre 1993 registration plates were free, the garage could book them with the tax office and if you had enough pull you could get one.
    Post 1993 they started each years registration at#201, selling the numbers below that for approx £300. This is why you rarely see low numbers, if you do you can bet someone has paid for it.
    This increased to €1000 eu recently though.
    Though to make things even more complicated starting from this year they stated from #1 again, though you can still prebook a number from the previous November before the registration year.

That Seat is even more interesting as you have said its the bog standard basic model with no extra anything. Nowadays because it costs so much to book a reg it will be put on high spec stuff like Pajeros, even the Laguna in the pic was top spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Was its a old lady up in Killerisk that owned the Ibiza?

Vain wrote: »
    Was its a old lady up in Killerisk that owned the Ibiza?

Yes, you knew of the car? She bought it new in Joe O Connors, I have the newspaper clipping with a pic of the car in it from the kerryman from that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Yes, you knew of the car? She bought it new in Joe O Connors, I have the newspaper clipping with a pic of the car in it from the kerryman from that week.

Sure did caught my eye every time I saw it! Was wondering what happened to it, glad to see it didnt get crushed!

Vain wrote: »
    Sure did caught my eye every time I saw it! Was wondering what happened to it, glad to see it didnt get crushed!

I always said I would buy it if I got the chance. Didn't think I would though!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Have you any idea where the 10-KY-1 car is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Bonzodog wrote: »
    Have you any idea where the 10-KY-1 car is?

It was definitely a Renault, Adams grabbed the 1 number plate for a good few years.
    Possibly a Vel Satis or else a Laguna. Can't remember which one, but slightly leaning towards the Vel Satis. Saw the 12 KY 1 plate today, a white Hyundai i40 saloon.

shergar22 wrote: »
    It was definitely a Renault, Adams grabbed the 1 number plate for a good few years.
    Possibly a Vel Satis or else a Laguna. Can't remember which one, but slightly leaning towards the Vel Satis. Saw the 12 KY 1 plate today, a white Hyundai i40 saloon.
    11KY1 is a Pajero
    10KY1 is a Pajero.
    09KY seems not to have been issued
    08KY1 is a Pajero
    07KY1 is a Pajero
    06KY1 is a Renault
    05KY1 is a Renault
    04KY1 is a Renault Vel Satis.
    03KY1 is a Renault
    02KY1 us a Renault
    01KY1 is a Mercedes
    A white Hyundai i40 you say? Neat, good to see it on a cheap car. Wonder did he pay the €1000 for it, because it wasnt issued in sequence. No registration cert has been issued on that i40, so it's not taxed.
    If anyone sees it shoot a pic.

Seems Adams got the #1 every year besides 2009 and 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Is there a taxi with a ?KY1 reg in Tralee ?

Wonder who buys the last few years of Ky1's

amadain wrote: »
    Is there a taxi with a ?KY1 reg in Tralee ?

I don't think so, but there was a green Passat-taxi with 05KY5, usually driven by a lady. Haven't seen that car for a while though...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

11KY1 is a Pajero
    10KY1 is a Pajero.
    09KY seems not to have been issued
    08KY1 is a Pajero
    07KY1 is a Pajero
    06KY1 is a Renault
    05KY1 is a Renault
    04KY1 is a Renault Vel Satis.
    03KY1 is a Renault
    02KY1 us a Renault
    01KY1 is a Mercedes
    A white Hyundai i40 you say? Neat, good to see it on a cheap car. Wonder did he pay the €1000 for it, because it wasnt issued in sequence. No registration cert has been issued on that i40, so it's not taxed.
    If anyone sees it shoot a pic.

Seems Adams got the #1 every year besides 2009 and 2001.

AFAIK it was the white one up on the stand in Adams over the past while. Maybe they're using it as a garage car for a while.

Quaderno wrote: »
    I don't think so, but there was a green Passat-taxi with 05KY5, usually driven by a lady. Haven't seen that car for a while though...

05KY5 was a Passat ran by Lockes cabs. I haven seen that in ages either, probably sold on with megamiles on. They ran 03KY3, also a Passat before that.
    These were bought in the days that a registration only cost €350.

05KY5 was a Passat ran by Lockes cabs. I haven seen that in ages either

That car brought my daughter home from hospital when she was born, so it's actually the first car she had ever been in. She is in school now...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

05KY5 was a Passat ran by Lockes cabs. I haven seen that in ages either, probably sold on with megamiles on. They ran 03KY3, also a Passat before that.
    These were bought in the days that a registration only cost €350.

Do Lockes Taxi have a Black Merc (usually driven by the Dad ?) with an ?KY01 plate ??? (seem to remember an unusual reg no.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

KY(and every other county)plates exist theoretically back untill 1903, but they were only introduced in 1987.

So the *IN plates were in use for Kerry cars up until 1986?

• Advertisement

So the *IN plates were in use for Kerry cars up until 1986?

Not quite, the old series' ran from 12/1903- 31/12/86.
    The original Kerry indexes were IN and ZX with the letters leading. When all combinations of that were used up by June 1979 they reversed with the numbers leading. they when the new series was introduced on 1987 it finished up with 375CIN a 1984 (imported) Massey Ferguson.

Here's the table for anyone who is interested.
    IN 1 to IN 9999 (Dec 1903 - Jan 1954);
    ZX 1 to ZX 9999 (Jan 1954 - Jan 1962).
    AIN 1 to ZIN 999 (Jan 1962 - Jan 1973);
    AZX 1 to YZX 999 (Jan 1973 - Jun 1979).
    1 IN to 9999 IN (Jun 1979 - Jan 1982);
    1 ZX to 9999 ZX (Jan 1982 - Jan 1986).
    1 AIN to 375 CIN (Jan - Dec 1986).

Advertisement