Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I've always assumed with these games that there are meant to be thousands of other smaller cities and settlements that you don't really see. Like, there's no way that there are only 3 or 4 major cities in FFVIII, that's ridiculous. And there's no way that Spira is that tiny. So the way I see it, the hugely divergent art-styles are perfectly fine.

The only thing that kind of throws me though is how Cloud and the lads trek through an entire continent just to get their materia back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

snausages wrote: »
    The only thing that kind of throws me though is how Cloud and the lads trek through an entire continent just to get their materia back.

I always liked that sidequest

Yeah, but I mean in the sense that Yuffie steals their materia and they run after her on foot through an entire continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ditto.

Although, I guess the fact you can complete the game without ever going near Wutai or Yuffie kind of at last shows Wutai was not integral to the story.

snausages wrote: »
    Yeah, but I mean in the sense that Yuffie steals their materia and they run after her on foot through an entire continent.
    Yeah i suppose so. At least you can walk across it in about 5 or 10 minutes depending on random encounters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think there's a balance between being realistic and making concessions for being fun and enjoyable. Having a bazillion useless towns and making you trek in real time across a continent wouldn't really be stepping over that fine but more like firing yourself in a cannon over it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think there's a balance between being realistic and making concessions for being fun and enjoyable. Having a bazillion useless towns and making you trek in real time across a continent wouldn't really be stepping over that fine but more like firing yourself in a cannon over it.

As opposed to FF6,FF8,FF9?

I don't see how FF7 is unique in that regard.

The only town in FF7 I can call useless is Wutai and thats only on a strict main story basis.

Maybe Gonzaga? But there is more added to the main story if you are willing to go there.

You had to walk to Kalm => Ranch => Junon (or you could get another Chocobo) but you get the buggy soon after Costa Del Sol.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

At the same time you dont want want to feel like the world you're exploring is sparse and underpopulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

noodler wrote: »
    As opposed to FF6,FF8,FF9?

I don't see how FF7 is unique in that regard.

The only town in FF7 I can call useless is Wutai and thats only on a strict main story basis.

Maybe Gonzaga? But there is more added to the main story if you are willing to go there.

You had to walk to Kalm => Ranch => Junon (or you could get another Chocobo) but you get the buggy soon after Costa Del Sol.

Don't fall over yourself in your rush to disagree there old boy, fairly sure he's saying FF7 is totally standard in that regard.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Don't fall over yourself in your rush to disagree there old boy, fairly sure he's saying FF7 is totally standard in that regard.

Indeed.

My apologies Retr0.

I misread your post.

• Advertisement

At the same time you dont want want to feel like the world you're exploring is sparse and underpopulated.

Well your mind fills in the blanks. XII was kind of different in that regard. It was huge but took place in a tiny province.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think letting your mind fill in the blanks is the best way. Much better than a load of codex like Mass Effect of FFXIII. Half-Life 2 was probably the perfect example of this. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of mystery about a setting or place.

Yeah, I can't help but feel when people say that HL2 has a crap story and no real arc that they're missing the point of that game. It's sort of like an iceberg, there's a lot underneath that you don't see but you work it out from the surface details. The little greeting from Dr. Breen at the start tells you all you need to know. Whereas Mass Effect is heavy-going with the exposition. FFXIII basically just came with a big cliff-notes guide that no-one bothered to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭albel nox

I don't know how possible it is. But i would recommend Star Ocean 2: The Second Story.
    The Story is quite good and there are loads of different characters.
    But now that i type this the battle system is much different and there is some voice acting which is quite good in fairness but it may be a bit off putting.

albel nox wrote: »
    voice acting which is quite good in fairness but it may be a bit off putting.

I have to stop you there but the voice acting is an atrocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭albel nox

It really isn't that bad and i generally hate voice acting. If i could play the game and still listen to the voice acting, its at least mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

Voice acting is hard, you have use different voice for so many character and remember what tone of voice you used in making it. it is not just one character your acting, a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Great thread to everyone involved, especially Red XIV and LadyE! It has brought back loads of memories (as I'm sure you're tired of hearing). I had been replaying FFVII over the summer a year or two back but I kept on getting stuck on Ruby Weapon. I haven't even gone near Emerald Weapon or the Northern Crater and I was looking to beat them before the final battle. The past while I've been reading this thread have been a great inspiration for me to have a another crack it, when I get home and can get near my PS2, during the summer:pac:

Thanks very much guys!:) Fantastic reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Great thread to everyone involved, especially Red XIV and LadyE! It has brought back loads of memories (as I'm sure you're tired of hearing). I had been replaying FFVII over the summer a year or two back but I kept on getting stuck on Ruby Weapon. I haven't even gone near Emerald Weapon or the Northern Crater and I was looking to beat them before the final battle. The past while I've been reading this thread have been a great inspiration for me to have a another crack it, when I get home and can get near my PS2, during the summer:pac:

Thanks very much guys!:) Fantastic reading!

w/summon and mime. Haedes and an attack summon. Ruby is simples

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Thanks, If I remember correctly, I have my characters on around level 70 -75 or so. Should I bring their levels up? And did you start the battle with two characters dead and revive them after Ruby sticks his hands into the ground?

• Advertisement

Taking those bosses on isn't so much about high levels as it is using broken battle system tactics to win. You should read up on strategies, some of them are quite inventive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

This thread led me to locate this walkthrough by Caponetone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJ9xC5Brjk
    He shows some sweet ways to defeat the weapons there.
    Made me load it up on the PC and play through again, great fun. There are some great mods available also to make the graphics look much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

This thread was absolutely immense, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 le sigh

I forget, did she ever read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

le sigh wrote: »
    I forget, did she ever read this?

Yep :) had a good read through it and even posted a bit on it (LadyE)

Thinking I might push her towards the FFX remaster when it comes out, could be another epic thread in the making!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd love to see/read someone play Final Fantasy IX for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

It's funny coming across this thread because I have always told my boyfriend (now fiance) that I won't formalise anything until he plays FFVII. I gave him a PS1 emulator and the FFVII files but he never used it, now it has come up on steam he has agreed to play it at some point. He's a serious gamer, loves RPG but he never got into FF, he calls them fantasy adventures.

I am just a bit worried that the Steam version, supposedly the music isn't as good. I also think that he might not enjoy it as I played it as one of my first really immersive video games. That and I will have to come up with more things to delay getting married. Perhaps the whole back catalogue, which in truth I haven't done either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Link to steam version plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

keane2097 wrote: »
    Link to steam version plz
    Link

Or, you know, typing it into the search box works too.

• Advertisement

It's funny coming across this thread because I have always told my boyfriend (now fiance) that I won't formalise anything until he plays FFVII. I gave him a PS1 emulator and the FFVII files but he never used it, now it has come up on steam he has agreed to play it at some point. He's a serious gamer, loves RPG but he never got into FF, he calls them fantasy adventures.

I am just a bit worried that the Steam version, supposedly the music isn't as good. I also think that he might not enjoy it as I played it as one of my first really immersive video games. That and I will have to come up with more things to delay getting married. Perhaps the whole back catalogue, which in truth I haven't done either.

If he likes his RPGs western or complex don't be surprised if he hates it. It's very basic in comparison and hasn't aged well. It might seem quite quaint. I know a few PC RPG players that just couldn't get into it since it was so simplistic.

Advertisement