Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.308 at a decent price ?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Looking to get .308 under €20 a box .... anyone know where I could find some ?

GH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Patrick carley has ppu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Thanks... Ive rang around alot of dealers and prices were too high for the quantity that i wanted.

Ill try Paddy again.... am waiting a few weeks now for him to ring back :P

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

what kind of accuracy do you get from that ppu?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I seen this being shot before (wouldn't waste my own money on it) and it struggled to hold between 2" to 4" at 100 yards.

I've witnessed this from lads using it in varying calibers such as 30-06, .308, .300 wm, etc. All crap. It really is the essence of bad ammo. One chap in particular was using it at the HCAP. He could not pass the grouping stage and eventually we sourced him some proper .308 stuff, re-zeroed his rifle and he passed it first go round. He got ragged holes from the good stuff, from the 4"+ he was getting with PPU.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Getting well under 1\2 inch at hundred yards. Have used 150 soft points and 165 psp. Both shot from tikka t3 and blaser r8. Not all guns like ever ammo. If they work in your gun there great.

• Advertisement

Can only speak to my own experience and everyone i've seen use them has had issues. Some more severe than others. This obviously crosses a range of different guns, but what they are i don't recall.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Ghost.

First of all I've no first hand experience with the privi ammo. But I've been meaning to try it a long time. I can't understand why there is such varience in the results in people using it.

No matter what forum it is some will swear by it 1/2 inch groups consistently great value etc. And then right after there will be people who get results like Cass described, saying is bad stuff. How can this be? I know some rifles can be very picky when it comes to ammo but I don't think that explains it.

From the shooting i've seen i'll stand by my account for this simple reason. Proper grouping tests.

A minimum of 4, 5 shot, groups were fired with timed shots and the exact same conditions. Such as time between shots, time between groups, weather, wind, etc. The distance was measured and confirmed, and i've seen this done on multiple firearms in multiple calibers.

Some lads shot 2 or 3 shots and if they clip or group they call it a success. Hornady Superformance is good for 2 maybe three shots and then it goes to crap. I have personally done this in .243, and .308 and gotten the same crap results. Others swear by it, but they usually fire a maximum of 2 shots and stop shooting as their style of shooting (hunting) only requires the first or second shot to be good.

I realise and accept that some rifles will perform better than others, and it's not down to quality of rifle as i've seen Sauer and Sako rifles refuse to group with ammo that runs through a CZ excellently. However even lads that get decent results with the PPU have told me they use it for 100 yard linking only and would turn to a better class of ammo for proper target shooting or their hunting needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Ghost.

I don't doubt you. From what you describe it sounds like you have seen it more thoroughly tested than most I'd say. I suppose it's like everything else you get what you pay for and have to be realistic with expectations of it. I must try a box for myself, but I've never seen it in any dealers.

Just explaining why i stand by what i say so much. Many lads have heard it's bad, and some have heard it's good and base their opinion on what they've heard. I do it on what i've seen.

Much like the Superformance, that i touched on above. At €42+ per box it's not cheap and frankly their a terrible round and from both Hornady and a country that is lawsuit friendly i'm surprised at Hornady letting them be sold as they are. Most rounds have the stated speed on the box. Hornady have their SST stuff in .308 (150 gr) at around 2,900 (IIRC). The Chrono says this is the average, high, speed. However Superformance is marketed as 3,000fps, but through testing nearly 20 rounds with a chrono at 100 yards the average is 3,181 with highs of 3,208.

To put that into perspective io reload for F-Class. We use ..308 handloaded ammo that runs very hot and fast to give the best out of the bullet. I struggle to make my 155 gr bullets reach 3,200fps let alone surpass it. Even then i would not consider giving my ammo to another F-Class shooter let alone some lad with a hunting rifle. I know different propellants can provide higher speeds, but usually with higher pressures and at the figures i'm getting they are on the verge of safe.

Lastly they are the only rounds i've have stiff bolt lifts and primer cratering with. For factory ammo it's shocking it's sold as it is. Also it's just not that good. It pisses through any animal it's shot at so i stopped using it for game. Any more than 2 shots and it'll climb and drop without any sort of predictability.

The PPU stuff you could, to some extent, make allowances for as it's 50 - 75% cheaper than most other stuff. However i wwuld never use ammo that is inconsistent no matter the price. What possible use can it be? Target wokr - no good, hunting - how could you pull the trigger thinking will it hit or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Using the stuff for years, I have had no problems with it, it is sold in Australia/NZ and south africa as Highland ammo.

Plenty of good reviews

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-xl7-xs7-boltaction-centerfire-rifles/88119-what-s-your-experience-prvi-partizan-ppu-ammo-serbia-3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Can be an utter PITA to manually extract from some rifle chambers.Mine being one!Seems to have issues with chamber tolerances.This will happen with me maybe once or twice per 20 rounds .Only thing in its favour is its cheap.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

I've tried it in the .270 and the results weren't too bad 1" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards 3 shot groups on different times and a few different days Wouldn't use it on deer unless I had nothing else and then not past 150 yards. I really only use it to get me on paper after bore sighting when rezeroing the scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Cass wrote: »

Lastly they are the only rounds i've have stiff bolt lifts and primer cratering with. For factory ammo it's shocking it's sold as it is. Also it's just not that good. It pisses through any animal it's shot at so i stopped using it for game. Any more than 2 shots and it'll climb and drop without any sort of predictability.

superperformance,
    I had the same problem last year,couldnt get my normal hunting round so tried a box of this ,paid an outrageous price, it grouped terrible all vertical stringing ,out of a remy 40 xb 308.I also had sticky bolt lifts and cratering of primers ,my rifle didnt like it at all so that was the last box of it that I will ever buy.Unusual from Hornady as Iv always found their stuff good.I would have loved to have put it through a chrono as I reckon it was extremely hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

Looking to get .308 under €20 a box .... anyone know where I could find some ?

GH
    I bought two boxes of 7.62 GGG lituanian mil- surph from duffys back in August . Shot very well from a sako trg and after a little research ,found a lot of good reviews on them. I think the price was 19 euro for a 20 box but could stand corrected on that . Might suit your needs if its for some target work on a budget.
    Best not to re- open the .308 / 7.62 will it,won't it debate as its been well covered already .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I bought two boxes of 7.62 GGG lituanian mil- surph from duffys back in August . Shot very well from a sako trg and after a little research ,found a lot of good reviews on them. I think the price was 19 euro for a 20 box but could stand corrected on that . Might suit your needs if its for some target work on a budget.
    Best not to re- open the .308 / 7.62 will it,won't it debate as its been well covered already .

Thanks cork,

He's out and his supplier doesn't have anything to my flavor in stock.

I ended up ordering off another rfd who was putting is own order with a uk company. If they have it in stock it'll be ppu @ 65 cent a round.

On a side note..... I've bought and used ppu before and been very happy with it.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Ghost. wrote: »
    First of all I've no first hand experience with the privi ammo. But I've been meaning to try it a long time. I can't understand why there is such varience in the results in people using it.

No matter what forum it is some will swear by it 1/2 inch groups consistently great value etc. And then right after there will be people who get results like Cass described, saying is bad stuff. How can this be? I know some rifles can be very picky when it comes to ammo but I don't think that explains it.

Some people are just lousy shots and blame the kit not the mutt behind the butt😄😄
    On Internet forums every poster cloverleafs at 100yds consistently😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

It also be no harm doing a twist rate stability test best before buying ammuniton. You should find the correct grain load,fps, bullet BC along with your twist ratio to calculate if your bullet is reaching a high spacific gravity to which to see if it can reach its optimized BC. Some long perjectiles fire best from a faster twist. I use boat tailed rounds mainly, SST and Berger VLD Hunting hollow tips are very good. Not to forget Nosler and Sierra heads. I dont use soft points tho

Sika98k wrote: »
    Some people are just lousy shots and blame the kit not the mutt behind the butt
    I've seen this on i don't know how many occasions. When you ask why they cannot group all ya get is "it was one holing yesterday". Same gun, same ammo, same conditions.

Some lads are legends in their own jockies, and that's fine. The problem arises when this walter mitty like being has to explain why his excellent shooting is gone to pot. I've often spent hours helping lads try to fix (what turns out to be an imaginary problem) on guns only to realise it's not the set up, it's the shooter. Frustrating to say the least.

Advertisement