Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XC spikes?

• 11-12-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭

I'm under a bit of time pressure (XC race on Sunday) and am looking at cross country shoes. I really like the look and fit of Brooks (ladies) Mach 16 but are they robust and stable enough for Irish cross country? My second choice is Puma Haraka XCS ladies. These are more like a running shoe and have a bigger heel drop. Anybody have any experience with either? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I'm under a bit of time pressure (XC race on Sunday) and am looking at cross country shoes. I really like the look and fit of Brooks (ladies) Mach 16 but are they robust and stable enough for Irish cross country? My second choice is Puma Haraka XCS ladies. These are more like a running shoe and have a bigger heel drop. Anybody have any experience with either? Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about the Pumas but I have pair of the Brooks Mach 13 that I've been using for the last 3 years and I find them great. I've run in some pretty horrendous conditions in them and they've always been fine. The size of spikes you have in them is nearly as important as the spikes IMO, I switch between 9's and 11's, but you can get as long as 15mm for the worst of conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

pconn062 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the Pumas but I have pair of the Brooks Mach 13 that I've been using for the last 3 years and I find them great. I've run in some pretty horrendous conditions in them and they've always been fine. The size of spikes you have in them is nearly as important as the spikes IMO, I switch between 9's and 11's, but you can get as long as 15mm for the worst of conditions.
    Lovely thanks, you've told me exactly what I wanted to hear :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My shoes (Brooks mach xx - mens) are about 4 years old, have covered around 450 miles, have never been cleaned and are just as uncomfortable and functional as the day I bought them. So if yours are made of the same stuff, they'll be grand! Don't forget to take them for a spin before Sunday, if you can. A lap or two of the course would be an idea, if you can find out what it is! ).

My shoes (Brooks mach xx - mens) are about 4 years old, have covered around 450 miles, have never been cleaned and are just as uncomfortable and functional as the day I bought them. So if yours are made of the same stuff, they'll be grand! Don't forget to take them for a spin before Sunday, if you can. A lap or two of the course would be an idea, if you can find out what it is! ).
    Great thanks, Brooks Mach it is so! I'll get a bit of jogging and a few strides in them between today and tomorrow. The XC is home territory :) Looks like the mud bath will spoil their lovely purpleness...mine will not be a neglected uncleaned pair (although if I get to run as fast as an unwashed pair, maybe you're on to something?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rumour has it that Fionnuala Britton has been spotted in Bulgaria for the European XC championships, so that's one less runner to worry about on Sunday. :)

• Advertisement

Well I suppose the distance between the winner and me will be not quite as vast as it would have been with her :)

Advertisement