Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL Week 3 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

From last May.

Having said that my selections in the predictions thread are looking woeful too

Bx3UPpmCIAAcnGw.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Hazys wrote: »
    All 53 Buccaneers players and coaching staff should be cut tomorrow morning...this is the worst showing i've ever seen in the NFL. Never have i ever seen such a lack of effort.

Broncos losing 59-14 to Oakland 4 years ago is the only other time i've seen anthing so abject :o
    poldebruin wrote: »
    When all is said and done, I have watched Denver do the very same thing.....in a Super Bowl.....3 times.

...and that is the reason for my suicidal negativity regarding all things Broncos. Just can't be trusted to not let you down in the worst possible way

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was going to watch this game this morning but I saw the score and well I'll use my time better instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Great stuff from Hester, and what a way to do it.
    Hester praised his mentor, former Atlanta Falcon and current television analyst Deion Sanders, whom Hester surpassed with his 20th return touchdown in Thursday night's 56-14 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Hester paid tribute to Sanders by high-stepping to the end zone while striking a Deion-style pose as he returned a punt 62 yards for a score.

Hester wanted to save the ball for Sanders.

"But the ball is on the way to Canton, Ohio," he said of where the Pro Football Hall of Fame is located. "They hurried up and took the ball from me. When I get it back, you know I am going to give him the ball."

Sanders, who was on the sideline for CBS/NFL Network, told Hester he almost pulled a hamstring sprinting toward the end zone to follow him.

"It is tough to break record from a guy that holds it that's my No. 1 mentor," Hester said. "The relationship that Deion and I have started back in college, and to this day I get a text from him every day. Every day I wake up, that's my alarm.

"I kind of teared up a little bit, and he knows that if anyone was capable of breaking that record and he wanted anyone to break it, then I knew it was going to be me."

Falcons should be thankful to have Hester

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Holy sh1t, saw the score on my phone this morning and I was like go home phone you're clearly drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Well done Devin Hester. Amazing performance.

Josh McCown owes Marc Trestman about 15 mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Well done Devin Hester. Amazing performance.

Josh McCown owes Marc Trestman about 15 mill.

I like McCown, he's a team guy and a gent, but good Lord, the people saying he should have been kept ahead of Cutler are gone fierce quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What a fumble fest last nights game was, Buccs didn't have a 1st Down until 4-5 minutes were left on the clock in the first half. Hard to stay with such a lopsided competition, so I didn't watch much of the second half. But I'm glad to have seen Hester make history. Him then getting a taunting penalty as he paid tribute to Deion Sanders, sums up the nonsense of today's NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I actually didn't think McCown was bad. His Offensive Line were very poor and several plays one or more pass rushers got though untouched.

His receivers were dropping everything! For his INT, if you rewatch that series, he threw two good high balls. One to the sideline, high because his target was well marked but it was a catchable ball that only the WR had a play on, then he threw over the middle, high to make sure it cleared any linebackers who might drop back in coverage, this one was a really simple catch and yet was dropped. So, then on third down, with no confidence in his receivers he tries to throw it to the chest of his receiver and the DB stepped in front and took it.

I think that is one of the worst team performances I've ever seen but I don't put more blame on McCown than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I like McCown, he's a team guy and a gent, but good Lord, the people saying he should have been kept ahead of Cutler are gone fierce quiet.

Honestly, there is no need for them to go quiet. McCown in Chicago is very different to McCown in TB. You'd have a hard time finding a Bears fan that thought it would work for him in Tampa. Even the guys ㅑ know who wanted McCown instead of Cutler this season knew it would go south without Trest and BM/Alshon.

As I said on here in March, I expect Glennon to start @ Soldier Field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    Honestly, there is no need for them to go quiet. McCown in Chicago is very different to McCown in TB. You'd have a hard time finding a Bears fan that thought it would work for him in Tampa. Even the guys ㅑ know who wanted McCown instead of Cutler this season knew it would go south without Trest and BM/Alshon.

As I said on here in March, I expect Glennon to start @ Soldier Field.

So do I, my point was exactly that: McCown was made to look good by a combination of the O line, the receiving corps, and the HC. A Lovie offense was never going to be the same for him. He is a decent back-up, no more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The argument was to take a QB high, use McCown to bridge the transition, and let Jay hit FA. It had plenty of merit and given the coach and weapons in Chicago made plenty of sense.

McCown wasn’t awful last night, and certainly didn’t plumb the depths of week 1. But it can’t work with Lovie. It just can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I really thought the Buccaneers would be a surprise package this year. Well, they look like they still will be but not in a good way :pac:

I said I wouldn't watch Thursday's game but did this morning. Christ Above how can professional football players be that poor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I said I wouldn't watch Thursday's game but did this morning. Christ Above how can professional football players be that poor ?

It was pretty shocking in all facets. Playing on Thursday doesn't help, these are often sub-standard games in terms of performance.

McCown is getting killed behind that offensive line.

In Week 2 he hit got three 3 plays in a row

Sure enough the Bucs lead the league with 15 QB hits and are joint second for giving up sacks with 6
    http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/teamOL.php

As a comparison probably the best three teams in the league are Denver, Seattle and Cincinantti. They have given up 1 hit compared to 15 for the Bucs

One more stat is the Bucs lead the league for allowing tackles for loss with 13. Seattle lead the league with 1

Can Tampa sort out that offensive line? They traded their centre to Baltimore for a 5th rounder during the summer, not looking a wise move now

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mikemac1 wrote: »
    McCown is getting killed behind that offensive line.

In Week 2 he hit got three 3 plays in a row

Sure enough the Bucs lead the league with 15 QB hits and are joint second for giving up sacks with 6
    http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/teamOL.php

As a comparison probably the best three teams in the league are Denver, Seattle and Cincinantti. They have given up 1 hit compared to 15 for the Bucs

One more stat is the Bucs lead the league for allowing tackles for loss with 13. Seattle lead the league with 1

Can Tampa sort out that offensive line? They traded their centre to Baltimore for a 5th rounder during the summer, not looking a wise move now
    Its clear there are big problem with that line but its not all on the line. If Manning was playing behind that line he would still be killing teams, same with Brady and Brees. Look at Rogers this year behind a horrendous line.

The QB has to get rid of the ball quickly and McCown is a bit slow to get it off. Its not all on him as I've clearly stated already but he shoulders the blame for some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He was far from great, but I thought Glennon showed a marked improvement in McCown when he came in. Still not fully getting why they benched him for a 10 year older, stopgap-at-best guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Chargers @ Bills
    Cowboys @ Rams
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Texans @ Giants
    Vikings @ Saints
    Titans @ Bengals
    Ravens @ Browns
    Packers @ Lions
    Colts @ Jaguar
    Raiders @ Patriots
    49ers @ Cardinals
    Broncos @ Seahawks
    Chiefs @ Dolphins
    Steelers @ Panthers
    Bears @ Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Chargers @ Bills
    Cowboys @ Rams
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Texans @ Giants
    Vikings @ Saints
    Titans @ Bengals
    Ravens @ Browns
    Packers @ Lions
    Colts @ Jaguar
    Raiders @ Patriots
    49ers @ Cardinals
    Broncos @ Seahawks
    Chiefs @ Dolphins
    Steelers @ Panthers
    Bears @ Jets

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    He was far from great, but I thought Glennon showed a marked improvement in McCown when he came in. Still not fully getting why they benched him for a 10 year older, stopgap-at-best guy.

Glennon never got a fair shot. McCown was declared starter in March

Anyway Glennon will get his shot now. McCown has a thumb injury and not expected back for a least a month from the reports I've read.

If they want to sign a backup for a few weeks they could bring back Josh Johnson who used to be the Bucs starter. I always liked him as a player. Released by the 49ers
    If anyone was at Wembley a few years ago for Bucs - Patriots that was the game Johnson got benched and Josh Freeman took over. We also saw Brian Hoyer during garbage time too :)

**** off Djax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How did DeSean Jackson not get flagged for that push to the helmet? Eagles were actually flagged instead. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Good start for GB.
    3-&-out and excellent punt return for the Packers.

Time for A-rod to be sacked to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Good start for GB.
    3-&-out and excellent punt return for the Packers.

Time for A-rod to be sacked to death.

*Snap!

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

LAcey....wtf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I really love the passion Austin David shows, so confident too for such a young player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

another super start for the packers

Boom!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gonna be a long night in New England

Advertisement