Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

gun shop in toronto

Options
  • 13-09-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

im off to Toronto on holiday in 2 weeks time and was wondering if any of ye can recommend a gun shop to have a look in i will be there for about 10 days and if ye could recommend a range where you can just turn up and and they let you shoot all the ones i can find online say you must be with a member or have you own Canadian gun licence

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've never been so won't waste your time with Google searched answers, but one thing. Canada is/can be as strict as Ireland in term of gun laws and shooting. People think as America's neighbour that the laws would be similar, but in fact they are more like our laws to the point, i believe, that we have actually used some of their laws (as well as British ones) in our legislation.

My reason for saying this is not to discourage you, but to make you aware that it may/will not be like the states. Here is a post i wrote nearly three years ago while discussing Canadian gun laws. In it you'll see they have restricted, non restricted guns, licenses for guns that are not necessary in the states (but are in Ireland), etc, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Cass wrote: »
    I've never been so won't waste your time with Google searched answers, but one thing. Canada is/can be as strict as Ireland in term of gun laws and shooting. People think as America's neighbour that the laws would be similar, but in fact they are more like our laws to the point, i believe, that we have actually used some of their laws (as well as British ones) in our legislation.

My reason for saying this is not to discourage you, but to make you aware that it may/will not be like the states. Here is a post i wrote nearly three years ago while discussing Canadian gun laws. In it you'll see they have restricted, non restricted guns, licenses for guns that are not necessary in the states (but are in Ireland), etc, etc.

I was over there in march for a few days on holidays and only went to one gun shop it was ok but not great, I'm not too bothered if there is no range for me to go but like too see if any one can recommend a good shop to look around in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Al Flaherty's in Toronto

BassPro in Vaughn

Range would be Target Sports in Gormley, but you need ID with proof of address, so I don't know how that would fare out.

Silverdale Range would be another one.

Keep in mind that both ranges are only open to walk in members on a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Quote - 'They have a RKBA, i think, but to get a firearm for this purpose comes under sever inspection by the RCMP, and even carry permits are rare.'

Canada does NOT have RKBA.

Nor does Canada have CCW.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »

tac
    That thread was from 3 years ago and that topic is not relevant to this discussion.

I referenced the post as it contained some info on how Canada is not as "liberal" as America when it comes to guns and is more like Ireland. Meaning the OP may not find any such ranges as easily as in America.

The topic of RKBA is not relevant to this thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Conchurl wrote: »
    im off to Toronto on holiday in 2 weeks time and was wondering if any of ye can recommend a gun shop to have a look in i will be there for about 10 days and if ye could recommend a range where you can just turn up and and they let you shoot all the ones i can find online say you must be with a member or have you own Canadian gun licence

Is it difficult to cross in to the States from Canada while on Holiday? I bet you would have more luck and a far better time at a range in upstate NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

FISMA wrote: »
    Is it difficult to cross in to the States from Canada while on Holiday? I bet you would have more luck and a far better time at a range in upstate NY.

No, but you are fingerprinted and retina scanned. You get a 90 day visa waiver stapled into your passport.

Be sure to hand the visa waiver back to Canadian Immigration when you pass back into Canada. They will give it back to the Americans. If you forget to give it back within the 90 days, America will think you over stayed the Visa, and it will give you trouble in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Bass Pro at Vaughan Mills is well worth the visit, especially if there are other people with you who aren't into country sports as the shopping mall there is fairly massive and there will be plenty other things to do.

Don't expect to get much hop when it comes to looking at guns themselves other than on the racks, salespeople really won't be forthcoming if you don't have a PAL (licence). The shop is really excellent for pretty much anything else fieldsports related though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IPSC

I live North of Toronto in Fergus (60 min drive from YYZ). I left the auld sod in June 2011.

Here's my take on things:-
    I shot once in Target Sports. It's expensive.
    I shoot IPSC matches about every month at Silverdale.
    What are you looking to shoot, Rifle, pistol, Shotgun?
    The range I'm a member of (Guelph Rod & Gun) allows members to bring shooting guests. Best of all it's free for members. Also close to me is Shooters Choice in Cmabridge
    They've got a gun shop, indoor range and also upstairs a bow shop with shooting range.
    Basspro in Vaughan is ok too.
    Also there's a Cabelas in Barrie (quite a bit from Toronto city!). It's relatively new. I've been meaning to visit

Regarding gun laws. You can pretty much have anything you want (full auto centrefire are scarce as they're grandfathered). The strict part is storage and transport. All pistols are retricted (meaning range use only). Most semi auto centre fire are restricted too (mainly AR15). Some are non restricted (meaning you can go out the back and have at it!!). These are Tavor TAR-21 (bullpup), Robinson XCR. As they're non restricted they're expensive.

Regarding going to NY State just to shoot. Not sure if it's worth it. A lot of my buddies go just to shoot USPSA and some IDPA. If you plan to visit USA make sure your ESTA is valid.

In Ontario we've got IDPA too and also CQB with AR15 and side arm (centre fire pistol). Imagine dressing up in full combat gear like SWAT guys and going through drills alternating from AR to side arm while advancing forward and that will give you an idea of what that is.

I'm around second week of Oct. let me know if I can help you out.
    regards,
    Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IPSC

tac foley wrote: »
    Quote - 'They have a RKBA, i think, but to get a firearm for this purpose comes under sever inspection by the RCMP, and even carry permits are rare.'

tac

CCW is available if you prove you need it i.e. trapping in areas where bears are likely to chomp you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement