Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tennessee Titans Thread

Options
  • 27-04-2012 10:41am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The draft has started
    The question now is what is in store for the Titans this year.
    As the season came to an end it became clear that the Titans would need to beat AFC South Champions the Texans and hope for some favourable results elsewhere to make the wildcards.

Losing Finnegan was a blow and I think it will be seen this season what a loss it was. I like Wimbley and I think he'll move between DE and LB throughout the season.

The Hass will start but I expect Locker to displace him about 1/3 of the wya through the season. Britt being fit is key but for me I think passing will focus on Britt (if fit) and Cook JR.

C2J needs a good season and will need to start this season a lot better than last season.

My prediction for AFC South is below.

Texans 11-5
    Titans 10-6 Wild Card
    Colts 7-9
    Jags 7-9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I'm glad we have gotten rid of Finnegan, He was a scumbag and brings a bad name to the team.

I think it will become apparent this year how explosive our offense is. We were unlucky last year with the injury to britt and cj's issues, but i expect with a full pre season and less pressure cj to take off like he has in previous years. In the time britt has been on the field he has shown himself to have the talent of an elite reciever, he just needs to stay healthy.

A lot of mocks have us taking OL first round. I'm not sure if I'd like that, Our line should be solid this year with the addition of SH, but I do realise that is not a long term solution.

Every year it seems like we need a pass rusher, we just can't pick one that will perform and I think we need to do the same this year, take OLINE and corner, the best player available between them positions, unless an elite talent drops very far that is worth moving up for them.

I'd also like to see locker start from day 1. Maybe the titans are doing things right, but its tough seeing your team draft a qb, and teams who drafted qb's after us, starting them last season. I always believe that if you take someone in the first round, he has to be starter.

I can see us challenging the texans closely thuis year, I think the differences in D seperate the two teams, with the texans D being superior.
    I think we're good enough to make it to the playoffs.

FUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKK I MISSED THE DRAFT AWHEBAWJKFBDJKAWBNR

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

Really looking forward to next year. The selection of Wright in the first round shows that the Titans focusing their efforts on building a top class offence. With CJ in the backfield and Locker/Hasslebeck throwing to Britt, Wright, Washington, Williams and Cook there's a lot to look forward to offensively. On offence I'd still like to draft a Centre at some stage as Amano was terrible last season, after that possibly a guard in one of the later rounds or if a top one falls to us but it's not vital this year.

On D I'm happy enough with the starters in place in almost every position and I think it's just a matter of improving slightly where possible and adding depth. I think if a weakside linebacked such as Zach Brown or Lavonte David were to fall to the Titans in the 2nd round it would be an amazing pick-up and solidify one of our weaker position on D as well as complete a young and talented Linebacker core. I don't think Wimberly will play LB for the Titans as from what I've heard he can only really play LB in a 3-4 with his hand in the dirt. I think he'll be a full time DE and will add a much needed pass rush so adding one or two players on the DL at some point in the draft to add to the rotation would be a good move. Other than that I would add another corner at some stage to provide depth seen as Finnegan is gone and the Titans have had great success drafting corners in the later rounds of the draft.

All in all I think with a few more decent picks in the draft, the Titans have a chance at a wildcard spot at least despite facing a tough schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm glad we have gotten rid of Finnegan,

I'm surprised at that

When Titans beat Ravens in Week two he was the best player on the field
    Well Finnegan on D anyway and Kenny Britt for offense

I know about his reputation but he's gets a grudging respect for being great at his role

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at that

When Titans beat Ravens in Week two he was the best player on the field
    Well Finnegan on D anyway and Kenny Britt for offense

I know about his reputation but he's gets a grudging respect for being great at his role

Me too, For me he was a tough player and yes he did do a few questionable things :p but he was such a tough D man. You knew if you got the ball near CF you were going to get absolutely hammered.
    That fear is now gone.. remains to be seen what the impact will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I was personally sad to see Finnegan go.

But Kendall Wright, damn am I excited for next year. Love that type of receiver and he's going to be the perfect foil for Britt and Washington down the field. His presence will also open lanes for CJ and hopefully show Jared Cook to realise his potential as a pass catching TE. I think we have the meat of a top grade offence for years to come, with Locker at the helm. From what we saw last year with him, I think he has the potential to be great as both a passer and on his feet. Great that he's been given time to bed in under Hasselbank, whom has fared very well as a starter.

• Advertisement

I'm definitely sad to see Finnegan go as well, I thought he was a great character and a very good player as well. He's someone that a lot of opposition fans hate but is very popular with his own teams fans. Very aggressive and passionate on the field but seems like a great guy off the field and has done a lot of work for charity.

Having said that the Titans were never going to give him the salary he wanted and to be honest I kind of agree with them here, as much as I like Finnegan I'm not sure he's worth the contract he was looking for and we've also had good success drafting late round CB's in recent drafts (Finnegan, McCourty and Verner).

Quite happy with the picks last night. Zach Brown is a great raw talent and if he's wlling to be coached up he could be a star. Also his speed and coverage ability could be important when we play the Pats next year as well as the Colts twice with their new QB and their 2 new TEs. Really promising LB core now with Ayers and McCarthy.

Martin is a very solid pick and himself and Jurell Casey will be great against the run with Karl Klug to come in as a situational pass rusher on the interior. 2 needs filled with two good players.

Considering there are still a number of needs (CB, S and DE depth and improvement at C) I wonder if the Titans might be interested in trading a player for a late round pick. With the addition of Martin and the FA additions which will provide depth at DT I wonder if Smith or Sen'Derrick Marks will be seen as expendable. Trading a WR wouldn't be out of the question either as there are a number of players on the depth chart there as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Griffin, signed on for 5 years. Good to have him on board.
    Pretty solid and after loosing Finnegan good to have a player who's been around.

Titans also tipped as 1 of the 2 surprise packages for the SB :D

Anyone care to predict how Johnson will do in the regular season?

He's seemingly put on a bit of muscle and is becoming a better power carrier.
    will be interesting to see how it goes.

I'm going to go for circa 1050 yards, 12 TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Didn't realise he cracked 1,000 yards last year, thought it was much lower.

All going well, I'd go for around 11 TDs and 1,100-1,300 yards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Think he'll recapture his 2010 for myself, although will probably be closer to 1,500 yards than 2,000 this time. Still the favourite for the leagues leading rusher all the same imo. The Titans O-line can't be as bad as it was last year, especially seeing as Hutchinson is now on board. Also, opposing defences can't sell out against the run this time. That was much easier for them to do last year with Kenny Britt out for the season but with him back and Kendall Wright now in the mix (not to mention Jared Cook at TE who should have a great year) teams can't do that anymore. CJ will also have a full training camp behind him going into the regular season, something he sorely missed last year. He sits firmly atop my Fantasy Football rankings this year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyone care to predict how Johnson will do in the regular season?

I'm going to go for circa 1050 yards,

Seems low

Tack another 500 onto that

Hopefully i'm wrong, I'd like to see him get a great season in.

And JaMarcus you're correct with (hopefully) a fit Britt it'll give the defense problems and should lead to more yards and more TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I don't think he's going to have a great season. Remember that it's not just the 2011 season that went bad, but he had plenty of bad games in 2010 too. I expect him to average only 4 YPC again with the defenses on the schedule, so it depends on how much they decide to lean on him. If I was the OC for the Titans I would focus more on the passing game.

Titans kick off the preseason against my other team the Seahawks.

Stiull to be determined who'll be taking the starting position at QB, a few days ago it looked like Locker but it seems Hass has been taking more snaps over the last day or so.

Britt seems to be in a bit of a mood but on the plus side C2J seems back in business and ready to go, looking forward to seeing him on Sunday morning

Marc Mariani is out for the season with a nasty broken leg, if you look at the video it looks like his leg gets caught behind his own player, nasty looking anyway.

C2J struggled big time against the Cards, he's really blown hot or cold this pre-season, but Locker seems to have had a better get against the cards which is good.

Titans kick off with a sadly untelevised game against the Pats.. but to keep the Titans fans interested here are some interesting facts..

355 Rushing yards running back Chris Johnson needs to reach 6,000 for his career. The only other Oilers/Titans with as many: Eddie George (10,009) and Hall of Famer Earl Campbell (8,574).

112 Consecutive starts by tackle Michael Roos. It’s the second-longest streak in the NFL for an offensive tackle, trailing Jeff Backus.

24 Sacks allowed by the Titans last season. Only the Bills (23) gave up fewer sacks.

2,129 Yards after catch for Titans receivers in 2011. The total led the NFL.

17.5 Average yards per catch for wide receiver Kenny Britt since he entered the NFL in 2009. That puts him sixth among all receivers from 2009-11.

Key points in the first games

After suspension Britt is going to need to be awesome along with Cook and Washington, a shame Mariani is injured (hopefully nothing permanent)

On the D, The Titans look to have a solid front 4 with Ayers and McCarthy really need to put in good shifts and stay healthy.
    Interesting times ahead!

Pretty poor performance at the weekend :confused:

When i heard Gates was out I was thinking the Titans would push for the win, but fcuk me they were a shadow of the team from last year.

C2J is moaning about the o-line and yes they are partly at fault but he needs to stop being so predictable with his runs and try to create something instead of running the same lines.

Locker.. people already calling for Hass to be back in. Stick with him, he is going to be a great QB but there was always going to be bedding in period.

Secondary is a concern, TEs have killed us.. What is the answer? Well when Gates doesnt play I'm sure they guys felt a bit better...

My 2nd post in a row starting with "poor performance this weekend".

I never expected a Titans win..however I was hoping for them to push the Texans for a while at least and that did happen, but too many mistakes especially on offense.

The Titans are just not clinical enough when it counts. on 3rd and 4 they dont make it when 8 out of 10 teams would.

Johnson had a better game, but i think at this point the Titans should be happy to finish (a distance) second behind the Texans.

Locker may be done for the season according the NFL.com

The article says that they will probably try a non surgical fix to is shoulder, but if it pops out again it will be surgery and then a 4-6 month fix time.

Step up The Hass..

• Advertisement

Good if stuttering win on Thursday.
    Johnson with an OK game, if he kept up that type of yardage it would at least give the Titans a legitmate ground threat and ease the pressure on the QB and WRs and probably give Hass/Locker more time in the pocket.

Also Kenny Britt, catch the ball!!

Good if stuttering win on Thursday.
    Johnson with an OK game, if he kept up that type of yardage it would at least give the Titans a legitmate ground threat and ease the pressure on the QB and WRs and probably give Hass/Locker more time in the pocket.

Also Kenny Britt, catch the ball!!

I thought it was more the steelers being bad than us being particularly good.

I hope locker comes back very soon, because we're gonna have a very high draft pick so it'll be an opportunity to grab a QB in next years draft if he doesnt start playing well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Going to Tennessee this weekend but unfortunately will they are playing away in Buffalo this weekend and I won't be in Nashville on the 28th:(. Good win yesterday against Pittsburgh. 2-4 is not a good start however

Jepp I'm happy for the win! Performance can be raised ( a lot!)
    There's no getting away from the fact both wins have been very close to being loses and on another day the titans would be 0-6 now

Well.. good offensive performance yesterday for the most part.

Hass with 66% completion rate
    C2J just short of 200 yards with 2 TDS (the big question is can he do the same next week?)
    Harper seems to have established himself as the go to guy on short down scenarios.

Hass spread the ball well with 8 players getting catches

Wimbley had a good game aswell and McCourty had an important in.

A couple of things, Titans just dont seem clinical enough on 3rd down.

A couple of times in was 3rd and long and Hass threw 2 dinky passes over the top to Washington for a gain of 3 yards or so, thats a ridiculous pass as in both instances he was covered so his gain was most likely going to be very limited.

Both the receivers and QB need to know where the 1st down line is.

On defense, our tackling was still poor with guys just throwing there bodies at someone else, why are the defense not wrapping up the RB or WR when they tackle :mad:

But now at 3-4, tough game against the Colts next week!

No turnovers, Only allowed 2 sacks. and CJ2ktd.

The most important thing though is that even if we are behind come the dying minutes of the game we are very much capable of winning. It's great having that belief as a fan that we can do that.

No turnovers, Only allowed 2 sacks. and CJ2ktd.

The most important thing though is that even if we are behind come the dying minutes of the game we are very much capable of winning. It's great having that belief as a fan that we can do that.

Big time, my only worry is and i know this well from Madden is that you can only win shootouts for so long.

The Defense needs to step up more often to force a punt and give the offense a chance to put some distance between the Titans and other team.

In saying that it was a really enjoyable game to watch

Oh dear. Another late lose. The Titans are having all these close games without putting anybody away! I listened to the game against the Bills and almost crashed the car on the way to Knoxville! The Bills should have won it but that I suppose is the Titans story this season. I doubt they are going to make the play offs with these loses.

No i dont think so either, again the Titans struggle tomake stops at key times.

The OT TD the RB basically broke 3 tackles to get into the end zone

• Advertisement

Agree. The Titans look to have a nice stadium btw. However don't think I will be heading over to Nashville again to see a game!

Advertisement