Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CompTIA A+

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Watch cbt nugget videos and read mike myers book, also get an old PC to fool around with, do the practise tests that come with the book before sitting exam.
    Like everything if you apply yourself you'll pass easily

Thanks I've started watching professor messers videos and I'm going to get Mike meyers book as well. Doesn't seem to be as hard as I'd expected so far. Hopefully stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Where you doing the Comptia course online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

baraca wrote: »

Thanks I've started watching professor messers videos and I'm going to get Mike meyers book as well. Doesn't seem to be as hard as I'd expected so far. Hopefully stays that way!

Professor Messors vids are great, used them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Murphj7 wrote: »
    Where you doing the Comptia course online?

I'm not I'm just studying online, Will do the test in Evolve training in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

did A+ N+, now working desktop support. A+ and N+ are good for entry level jobs and then you should build on them by getting either MCSA/CCNA/RHCSA/VCP etc. or all of them

Im actually considering taking A+ via CMIT.ie.

I work full time, pay a lot in rent and have a child' so I don't have the time to go to college fulltime.

Can the MSCA/CCNA etc. be completed online with FAS or anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I work full time, pay a lot in rent and have a child' so I don't have the time to go to college fulltime.

CCNA can be completed through FAS by doing two course ICND1 and ICND2. Passing ICND1 will get CCENT and ICND2 gets you CCNA.

I did CCNA with FÁS, you can do the MCITP with FÁS aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

I did CCNA with FÁS, you can do the MCITP with FÁS aswell

Can you link to the MCITP online course

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Would reading the mike meyers book set you up for the tests? As in if I bought the course on e-college and just read mike meyers book would i be able to sit the test straight after finishing it?

Yes. That is what i did. I bought the ecollege course and got the mike meyers book. Used nothing else and i found it was enough. The MM book really fills in the gaps in the ecollege course. That was all i used and passed both exams first time (did the practical last week).

The only other thing i did was try find some other practice exams online to do before the exam as once you do the ecollege ones a few times the questions start repeating a bit. The Mike Meyers book comes with a dvd with a couple of practice tests on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭conspiracycat

Hi,

Does anyone know a good source for recent exam prep questions?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

MCITP.. I was under the impression this was pretty much out dated now and not worth doing?

Etnies wrote: »
    MCITP.. I was under the impression this was pretty much out dated now and not worth doing?

Name was changed to MCSA, most places of work would still use Server 2008/2003

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Here is a list of exam papers http://www.examcollection.com/220-701.html

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭maalummoja

gocertify has exam questions and can be broken into sections.

Does anybody have any links for podcast downloads in Comptia +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

A really good online resorce for all Comptia courses is http://www.professormesser.com/
    all his videos are free online and very thorough.

Professermesser videos are fantastic. Helped me pass the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Indeed. I have just started the FAS course in IT Support, and CompTIA A+ and Network+ are included. As I have been watching the Professor Messer videos for some time now I find it all familiar, and better yet, they use his videos in the course.

excollier wrote: »
    Indeed. I have just started the FAS course in IT Support, and CompTIA A+ and Network+ are included. As I have been watching the Professor Messer videos for some time now I find it all familiar, and better yet, they use his videos in the course.
    Are ya doing it in baldoyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

just wondering has anyone completed or started doing the online version of A+, would like to know roughly how many hours you would need to put into it before sitting the exam?, I have completed fetac level 5 computer science so have a basic knowledge of computers and I am thinking of doing it as I have the summer free before going back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lillen

I've been working with technical support over the phone for the past 2 years, I'm currently in a second level support role.
    I have no certifications at all, is there any point in getting an A+ cert or should I just go for the more relevant to what I'm interested in instead? (MCSA Windows server 2008/2012 and Cisco CSNA+CSNP)
    My only goal with the certifications is to advance career wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 gyro71

lillen wrote: »
    I've been working with technical support over the phone for the past 2 years, I'm currently in a second level support role.
    I have no certifications at all, is there any point in getting an A+ cert or should I just go for the more relevant to what I'm interested in instead? (MCSA Windows server 2008/2012 and Cisco CSNA+CSNP)
    My only goal with the certifications is to advance career wise.

You've got 2 years experience, you'd be wasting your time doing the A+, its more of entry level qualification.

If you want to progress your career you should definitely go for the MCSA & CCNA.

Hi do ye think its better to have college qualification then go for a job or if the opertunity arises where im offered a job should I take it? some class mates were offered jobs while on work experience and took the jobs. Going into my second year of computer science and thinking about doing an internship after it with vm ware or emc or should I just stick it out for another 2 years and get my degree.

Hi do ye think its better to have college qualification then go for a job or if the opertunity arises where im offered a job should I take it? some class mates were offered jobs while on work experience and took the jobs. Going into my second year of computer science and thinking about doing an internship after it with vm ware or emc or should I just stick it out for another 2 years and get my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Definitely finish the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Defo finish the degree.

Thanks very much thats what id like to do (get degree)but worried about the lack of experience. First year of college has flew by so will just stick it out till the end.

Thanks very much thats what id like to do (get degree)but worried about the lack of experience. First year of college has flew by so will just stick it out till the end.

Advertisement