Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Only noticed this thread now, great idea Paully!

I've missed the last few games so I cant really comment on the upcoming one against Houston, what does everyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So how do people think we'll fare against the patriots? If Flacco has one of his better games we have a chance, the defence will keep it relatively close. Hope Reed's ankle is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

As long as Ray Rice gets the ball enough the Ravens have this :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    So how do people think we'll fare against the patriots? If Flacco has one of his better games we have a chance, the defence will keep it relatively close. Hope Reed's ankle is ok!

Bad:cool:
    evil_seed wrote: »
    As long as Ray Rice gets the ball enough the Ravens have this :cool:

We're going to make Joe try and beat us me thinks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting article about today's matchup here:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/ravens-patriots-matchup/article_87c57fd1-f2a9-553e-a3d0-a028ce2d4ba1.html
    When the Ravens have the ball:

Run, Ray, run.
    Catch, Ray, catch.

Those are the top two priorities for the Ravens (13-4), who must get the ball in the hands of RB Ray Rice, the league's leader in total yardage with 2,068 (1,364 rushing). Rice was dynamic the last time he faced the Patriots in a playoff game at Foxborough, breaking an 83-yard run on the first Baltimore play from scrimmage. He needs to set the tone again, aided by All-Pro fullback Vonta Leach.

Baltimore wants to get Rice open in space as a receiver, putting pressure on LBs Jerod Mayo and Rob Ninkovich, and all the defensive backs. The Ravens also want their offensive line, which has been inconsistent, to set the tempo inside for Rice and backup Ricky Williams. That is a key, because only guard Marshal Yanda has stood out this season, and the line was outplayed by Houston last week.

Expect Patriots coach Bill Belichick to have something schemed up to neutralize Rice, forcing QB Joe Flacco to beat his team. Flacco isn't spectacular and the Ravens rarely have asked him to be the focal point of the offense. Belichick could force that to happen, especially if superb NT Vince Wilfork has his way in the trenches. Journeyman DE Mark Anderson had 10 sacks in Belichick's defense, and Wilfork and Ninkovich each had 1½ against Denver last weekend.

Veteran WR Anquan Boldin joins Rice as the main target for Flacco. New England's secondary has been mediocre for much of the year, but does make big plays, led by CB Kyle Arrington, who had a league-leading seven interceptions. The Ravens need rookie Torrey Smith and veteran Lee Evans to contribute, particularly downfield, in matchups with CB Devin McCourty and safeties James Ihedigbo and Patrick Chung.

Where the Ravens could surprise New England (14-3) is with tight ends Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson. Each can be dangerous in the red zone and on third downs.

When the Patriots have the ball:

As they showed in last week's rout of Denver, the Patriots will feast on any defense that doesn't challenge them from the outset. Baltimore must be physical and aggressive from the opening play, and that's a staple of the Ravens' defense, which had 48 sacks during the season.

Led by All-Pro NT Haloti Ngata and LB Terrell Suggs — plus the ageless LB Ray Lewis and S Ed Reed — and using a never-back-down philosophy, the Ravens will get after Tom Brady as best they can. But they managed zero sacks and not a ton of pressure against Houston, whose offense resembles New England's as much as the weather of the two cities matches up.

Given time, as he has proven for more than a decade, Brady will destroy even the best defenses. But he hasn't faced a high-quality one in months, and the best defense the Patriots played in 2011, Pittsburgh's, held them to a season-low 17 points.
    Brady will run the no-huddle as often as possible, hoping to gas the Ravens and force their defenders to stay on the field more often than usual. Belichick and offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien, who leaves to becomes Penn State's coach when the Patriots are done playing, came up with some nice wrinkles this season. Their use of TE Aaron Hernandez as a running back was effective, and they find ways to isolate All-Pro TE Rob Gronkowski in mismatches.

Baltimore needs to blanket Gronkowski as best it can with Reed and fellow S Bernard Pollard, or maybe even try getting CB Lardarius Webb involved in coverage. Of course, that could leave All-Pro wideout Wes Welker in single coverage.

Also worrisome for the Ravens is how Houston ran the ball on them a week ago. The Patriots don't rely heavily on the run, but if BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead are being successful, it sets up Brady for even more big plays.

Ngata will try to disrupt the middle of the Patriots' solid O-line, where C Dan Connolly and guards Logan Mankins and Brian Waters will be tested. If he does so, Baltimore has a far better chance of slowing down Brady's aerial show.

Special Teams:

Coach John Harbaugh has a special teams background, and with PK Billy Cundiff and P Sam Koch, he has to feel comfortable. Cundiff missed some games with a calf injury, but has recovered.

Baltimore's coverage and return teams are nothing spectacular, with Webb the most reliable as a punt returner.

New England has no qualms about having Stephen Gostkowski try critical kicks. While he hasn't made them forget Adam Vinatieri, Gostkowski is steady enough to not worry Patriots fans. P Zoltan Mesko is a lefty kicker and the ball can act funky off his foot.

Belichick also has a special teams background and his coverage groups are trustworthy.

Coaching:

Harbaugh has guided the Ravens to the postseason in all four of his years as coach; by contrast, Belichick did that only once in his first four of five seasons as coach of the franchise when it was still the Cleveland Browns. For the first time under Harbaugh, Baltimore won the AFC North and got a home playoff game.

Harbaugh knows his team must push it against Belichick, the game's most successful coach since Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs were on the sideline in their primes. The Ravens have been taught to do what they do best and dare someone to stop them. Belichick and the Patriots can be more devious — and more versatile.

While Harbaugh has been this far only once, losing to Pittsburgh for the 2008 AFC crown, Belichick makes a habit of reaching conference title games.

Really looking forward to this :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So lads, whats next? I'm absolutely gutted after that. Really thought we'd win it at the end there! What do you think needs to be improved? Best thing we can do in the offseason is get rid of Cameron imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Gutted for the Ravens, been knocking on the door for too long now.
    From games ive seen I think the improvements needed for them are, offensive line a big need. Give Flacco as much times as he needs & more.

And for the management to have cool heads.
    Seemed to me to make too many mistakes today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bye bye Jerry Roburg, our ST coordinator and assistant head coach
    Special teams were awful all year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm happy with RB/QB/WR/TE/Defense, just need to improve OL/ST.

Who's gonna kick for us next year? I think we should take Cundiff into training camp but cut him if he can't learn to hit 50 yarders at the very least. I see absolutely no holes on defense, I'm satisfied with our LBs (even minus Lewis), our defensive line, and our secondary. Only worry is trying to find a future replacement for Ed Reed, but imo he isn't slowing down. He was immense in coverage this year. We're also set for the future at QB, RB, FB and WR, but we really badly need to draft a centre or a tackle. Anyone know of any very good free safeties at spot 29 who can return kicks and punts?

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Who's gonna kick for us next year? I think we should take Cundiff into training camp but cut him if he can't learn to hit 50 yarders at the very least. I see absolutely no holes on defense, I'm satisfied with our LBs (even minus Lewis), our defensive line, and our secondary. Only worry is trying to find a future replacement for Ed Reed, but imo he isn't slowing down. He was immense in coverage this year. We're also set for the future at QB, RB, FB and WR, but we really badly need to draft a centre or a tackle. Anyone know of any very good free safeties at spot 29 who can return kicks and punts?

Considering Cundiff signed a 5 year $15m contract a few weeks ago I'd imagine that he'll probably be kicking again next year. It's pointless having a kicker that can't make 50 yarders though. To be honest I'm never confident with him even when he's kicking from 40-45.

An improvement to the special teams and O line is essential IMO. Oher will probably be let go, but he's the type of player that I can see going on to become a star somewhere else, I just have that feeling.

No idea on the kick/punt returner to be honest, hopefully Newsome can pull something out of the bag!

Looking back on last year's draft obviously Torrey Smith is a big success with how often he gets open. Jimmy Smith looks like he's at the level of a starter and adds great depth to our CBs. Jah Reid struggled yesterday. Doss, Brown and Allen haven't produced yet, while Pernell McPhee has been a big pass-rushing success.

Jimmy Smith is raw but improving. Has all the tools and is getting up to speed. A wily vet QB and experienced WR can still torch him though

Torrey Smith, star, enough said

Jah Reid. Strong powerful run blocker but sloooooow and not a good pass blocker at all. Oher isn't great either but big Mike is still better then Reid. Reid is backup next season, not a starter yet

Doss, he'll get more snaps next season, don't know why he can't play himself onto special teams.

McPhee, one of the steals of the draft. Will be on the team for years and years, Ozzie does it again

Brown, special teamer only, blazing fast, good gunner. He won't be starting anytime soon, everyone and even Gorrer is ahead of him.

Allen, was injured and never a shot, pre-season is big next season but he'll make the team. I've a secret hope that his look and violent running style means we have the next Steven Jackson. Daft I know :o

McKinnie to stay one more year
    Gurode to take over from Birk and we'll groom our new center
    Justin Boren to move to the roster next season, like this player

That's it realy
    Another excellent draft from Mr Newsome

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano is scheduled to interview for the Colts head coaching job Tuesday.

Noooooooooooooooooooo :(

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooo :(

Seen that last night, was going to post it but I ended up doing something else and completely forgot about it.

Jim Tressel has been interviewed a couple of times for it now so hopefully they have him ahead of Pagano.

They're deciding next week anyway according to Irsay on Twitter, so plenty of time for us to get the right man in to replace him.

Any idea who we'd be looking at if he does go? Any of the recently fired NFL head coaches fill the criteria?

Promote from within :cool:

DL coach Clarence Brooks would most likely get it
    OLB coach Ted Monachino looks to have a bright future too

Ravens organization is a shortcut to getting a great job

Marvin Lewis
    Mike Nolan
    Mike Singletary
    Rex Ryan
    Jack Del Rio
    Kirk Ferentz
    Jim Schwartz, very early in his career

And that's just the defensive side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

As an outsider looking in to the ravens organization. Was this year your last chance for a while?

With both Rice/Flacco contracts coming up won't they need massive cap room. You still have Ed Reed and Ray lewis on massive contracts. How do you solve your O-line problems if you have 0 cap room ? Free agency looks to be dead for you guys if you resign you skill players.

So only the draft will bring you any help.

Also at WR , it seems to me you need a possesion WR in the slot. Again without Free agency the draft is unlikely to give you what your looking for.

Also will Lewis and Reed , will the years start to affect there play ? Will they play more than 12/14 games in the season ?

As an outsider looking in to the ravens organization. Was this year your last chance for a while?
    Absolutly not. The media talking heads often says the Ravens are old and the window is closing. It's not true at all, this is a young team and getting stronger but many look at Lewis and Reed as if it's them alone.
    However, watch the Steelers be gutted this offseason, they are in cap hell and have many old players on the roster. Ravens have avoided this with good recent drafts.
    Plus the Ravens are not slow to act, the minute the CBA was sorted, Ravens released Gregg DT, Mason WR and Heap TE. I think I'm forgetting someone. All done before any team made a move
    With both Rice/Flacco contracts coming up won't they need massive cap room. You still have Ed Reed and Ray lewis on massive contracts. How do you solve your O-line problems if you have 0 cap room ? Free agency looks to be dead for you guys if you resign you skill players.

Rice will be signed or franchised.
    Ben Grubbs LG has to be signed too
    Flacco has one year left on his deal and it'll be late August or even during the season but that's completed. Team are going to let Flacco wait.
    Dominique Foxworth CB is one of the highest paid players on the roster with over seven million, he's getting cut so that will help
    Matt Birk retires and that's four million. Now we've freed up over ten million easily

Our Oline coach will be/should be sacked though that's not a full solution, easy to blame the position coach.
    McKinnie, Grubbs, Gurode, Yanda, Oher, [in that order left to right], Boren, Reid as backups.
    McKinnie and Gurode are adequate, we don't need top FA signings, just draft our future players to groom and take over

Yes, overall Ravens are not like near neighbours Washington or the "Dream Team" :rolleyes: in Philadelphia, no huge FA signings here
    But I'd say twenty out of twenty two starters will be back
    Also at WR , it seems to me you need a possesion WR in the slot. Again without Free agency the draft is unlikely to give you what your looking for.

tandon_doss_breaks_up_burger_joint_fight_plays_football_game.jpeg
    Step forward Tandon Doss. Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
    Only activated two games this year as he couldn't get on special teams and so was inactive most weeks.
    Bit of a Boldin clone, he's tall and powerful and will see more action next year
    He was great in pre-season, can play the slot and will be a red zone target
    Also will Lewis and Reed , will the years start to affect there play ? Will they play more than 12/14 games in the season ?

Lewis got embarressed by Philip Rivers but then so did the entire defense. He did well against Wes Welker the other night but it's plain to see he's no more then average in coverage. Steps will be taken to control his snaps. Having said that old man Lewis was still better then Danelle Ellerbe ILB in coverage on Sunday, he was awful

Ed Reed was playing hurt and he has a serious neck injury, one bad hit away from retirement. Shoulder injury too so we saw some awful tackles that were missed.
    However he can still start every game, ok not league leading interceptions this year but he was rarely targeted too and that's all you can ask of a defensive back. There is depth at safety if he needs to come out

Both are still starters next year
    But I expect both to retire at the end of next year

Pagano's gone :mad:

• Advertisement

I would have been very happy if we could have gotten Steve Spagnoulo
    Yeah Rams had a poor season but I still think he's a quality coach and would have been a great hire.
    But he's gone to the Saints now

Jack Del Rio is an obvious name out there
    But I say promote from within, Clarence Brooks the defensive line coach will get an interview and every chance too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

This should pick the two of ye up a bit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

kmart6 wrote: »
    This should pick the two of ye up a bit....

I wonder what would be said if Tebow had made a speech like this - throwing his religion in our faces again!

Seriously though, that was a nice line about making someone smile when they leave the room. He might be past his best on the field, but what a great presence to have in the locker room. They did play their asses off, and NE were lucky in the end to escape with the win.

They'll be there or thereabouts next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Big difference here is Ray Lewis doesn't go around spouting his religious beliefs constantly, this was a pure moment of emotion after a critical loss for what could be his last chance at a Superbowl in a spectacular career!

Nobody would dare question the authenticity of that, while with Tebow because it's constantly out there it can often come across as playing up to the cameras!

Cheers for posting that kmart, powerful stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

poldebruin wrote: »
    I wonder what would be said if Tebow had made a speech like this - throwing his religion in our faces again!

To be fair to Ray Lewis he is doing it in the privacy of a locker room. Sure cameras caught it but for the most part during the season those guys dont have cameras in their locker rooms all the time. Ray Lewis strikes as the type of player who will always motivate his players at the end of a game with speeches win or loss. A Camera just happened to be there. Tebow's religious acts are out on the field and in front of every camera and fan watching so its easy for people to pick on Tebow's beliefs.

"Cam Cameron will be back in Baltimore for another season.

The Ravens announced Friday that they have signed Cameron to an extension after already serving as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator for four years.

Cameron’s return will keep some continuity among the Ravens’ assistant coaches. Baltimore lost Defensive Coordinator Chuck Pagano to the Colts this offseason, but Cameron will be back to lead the offense that came within seconds of reaching the Super Bowl.

Cameron’s contract was set to expire this offseason. "

Why couldn't it be the other way around? :(

Fans wants to keep Pagano and lose Cam Cameron

And Rosburg back as ST coordinator, it gets even worse

But then he's Harbaughs buddy and assistant head coach

Ravens ST were excellent two years ago, David Reed led the league on kickoff returns, Billy Cundiff got to the probowl and Sam Koch should have gone to the pro bowl

But every aspect of special teams went backwards this year, kicker, punter, coverage, everything

Better buck up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Why couldn't it be the other way around? :(

Fans wants to keep Pagano and lose Cam Cameron

Ravens wont win a Super Bowl with Cameron as the OC. He will never let any QB have any sort of freedom to play. Its his way or no way. Its funny over the last couple of years people blamed Flacco and you look at Sundays game and Flacco wasn't the reason the Ravens didn't win. That offense would be 10 times better without Cameron there. Madness they kept him.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous. Terrible offseason so far.

Advertisement