Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

• 12-06-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

use of weapons- iain m banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Getting my teeth into The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. It's a whole lot of reading, but the first 12 chapters have been worth it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Woken Furies' by Richard Morgan, the 3rd Takeshi Kovacs novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭qwertz

Last one of Peter F. Hamiltons Greg Mandel trilogy. Very good read.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

qwertz wrote: »
    Last one of Peter F. Hamiltons Greg Mandel trilogy. Very good read.
    Ah good - I'll be reading that one "shortly" after I finish "Woken Furies", "The Amber Spyglass", "Red Sea Under Red Skies", "Scar City" and "The Life of Pi".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Invasive Procedures

by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston

so far so good

There is another followup novella called The Suspect Genome (2000, novella, Interzone).
    ixoy wrote: »
    Ah good - I'll be reading that one "shortly" after I finish "Woken Furies", "The Amber Spyglass", "Red Sea Under Red Skies", "Scar City" and "The Life of Pi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tree wrote: »
    use of weapons- iain m banks
    Currently reading his latest - Matter - having just finished rereading Use of Weapons as a warmup. Will check out some of the other books already mentioned, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

tricky D wrote: »
    Currently reading his latest - Matter - having just finished rereading Use of Weapons as a warmup. Will check out some of the other books already mentioned, ta.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭trout

Finished studying for another year, so I've just treated myself to the bulk of Neal Stephensons back catalogue.

I read Snow Crash some years back, and then Diamond Age, and thoroughly enjoyed them both, and I've heard great things about Cryptonomicon in particular and the Baroque Cycle in general.

Snow Crash in particular is a great re-read, especially in the advent of Second Life and WoW, and even more so if you have an interest in IT / Security / hacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I started reading the Age of misrule trilogy by Mark Chadbourne. Its a fantasy series set in modern day England.

Its not too bad so far but im only 200 pages in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭redbhoy1888

Book 3 of The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie,excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Slowly making my way through Banks' Consider Phlebas.
    trout wrote: »
    I read Snow Crash some years back, and then Diamond Age, and thoroughly enjoyed them both, and I've heard great things about Cryptonomicon in particular and the Baroque Cycle in general

I didn't think a whole lot of Snow Crash, but I loved The Diamond Age. Cryptonomicon is feckin brilliant. It's an intimidating size, but it's an easy read.

He still hasn't figured out how to end a book properly though! *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

House of Suns, Alastair Reynolds new book.
    Brilliant as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

Neal Ashers Prador Moon....he's usually reliable for getting you involved with his central characters...here however its not going well.....good story line but disappointing in its execution..finished soon and on to the next

mcgovern wrote: »
    Brilliant as usual.

Finished that a few days ago as I couldn't put it down.
    Now reading World War Z by Max Brooks, its also very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

just started reality dysfunction (peter f hamilton). have ender's game waiting for when i finish it in six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭trout

Tree wrote: »
    ... ender's game ...

Oh ... have you got a treat in store. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hyperion again and Mir, the sentient tattoos are intresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mcgovern wrote: »
    Brilliant as usual.

Must get that, I love Alastair Reynolds. Class writer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Reading "Red Mars", "Green Mars" & "Blue Mars"
    in order at the moment. very good books also. Can't remember author off hand

Kim Stanley Robinson. Add Antarctica to the list.
    Reading "Red Mars", "Green Mars" & "Blue Mars"
    in order at the moment. very good books also. Can't remember author off hand

Must get that, I love Alastair Reynolds. Class writer

Its another new and interesting universe, with plenty of scope for further stories in it. Similar in some ways to the Revelation Space universe, but taking a longer view and with a more diverse spread of humanity inhabiting it.

Now reading "The City and the Stars" by Arthur C.Clarke, half way through and can't help thinking there isn't enough pages left for this to be properly resolved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I really liked Matter, not as much as Use of Weapons though

Right now i'm almost finished Deaths Head by David Gunn, its millitary sci fi, blood violent, blood great

I've also been making my way through Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books.

I suppose you'd call Cormac McCarthy's The Road as sci fi too. that was pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Wheel of Time: Lord of Chaos

It's getting harder and harder to keep myself interested in these books. They started off so well but they're just getting bloated and dull at this stage. I think I'll need a break after this one. I've read all 5 in a row so far. Aes Sedai overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'm reading The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss at the moment and enjoying it quite a bit.

Next up after that is The Peshawer Lancers by S M Stirling, an alternate universe/timeline book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Half way thtough Erickson's 'Midnight Tides' and have 'The Bonehunters' ready for when I finish. Really loving this series, just wish I had more free time to actually read it!

Advertisement