Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Parents on south Dublin

• 24-10-2011 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi!
    I'm living in the Dublin 6 area, I'm a full time mammy with a one year old daughter. I've gone to a few parent and toddler groups and sat through them cringing and wishing for them to be over, my daughter still has a morning nap too so most groups are from 10-12 or so and it's insane trying to get us up washed dressed etc before 10!
    Anyway, I would really like to meet other mam's as most of my friends don't have babies yet and I'd really like for my daughter to have a few playmates. Does anyone know any parent toddler groups in the area that don't involve the mammies making total arses of themselves or coffee mornings or something to this effect??

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

What do you mean by 'making arses of themselves'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GirseachGranola

xzanti wrote: »
    It's great for those pf you who enjoy jumping around singing and dancing and I have no problem doing this in the comfort of my own home but this is not something I personally feel comfortable doing in a group setting. I am merely looking for somewhere mam's can chat as their kids play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

xzanti wrote: »

I presume she means the likes of gymboree music classes etc.

I don't know of any around that area but your local PHN should be able to point you in the direction of some in your area. Or try cuidiu, I know they run local parent and toddler mornings with tea/coffee etc.

ETA: The reason most of these meeting are on in the mornings is to accommodate for parents that have to pick older children up from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

My wife found her mother and baby group - which sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for .

They meet over more varied times, particularly the afternoons, because their babies are around 14 months old and also tend to nap in the mornings. The mums chat and the babies play/complain/whatever.

She found the group just after giving birth though - they have threads for different areas by birth date IIRC. I think it may be harder to find a group at this stage as many people will already be in groups and no longer actively looking. my experience of this doesn't extend beyond the one case of my wife's experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm in the same boat here with a 2 and a half year old.

I'm also looking for afternoon playgroups on the southside, Dun Laoghaire, Monkstown, Glenageary, Dalkey Killiney areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's great for those pf you who enjoy jumping around singing and dancing .

Oh I wasn't being defensive, just nosy :pac:

I don't go to any groups myself, might start though, they sound like a riot :D

Thanks! It's been a mad year moving 3 times due to unforeseen circumstances, and having a mad little girl who rarely sleeps for more than two consecutive hrs!! I know these stresses are very common especially today but I suppose I'm only getting my act together now to try to find a group now we feel settled in the area we are in! Maybe I'm jealous of those "arses" who have the energy to leap about and be so full of the joys of life all the time!! In general I'm a very happy person but sometimes I have lazy days when I don't leave the house and I guess I'm looking for some like minded people to say that this doesn't make me a bad mother!! Good ole Irish mother's guilt lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Thanks! It's been a mad year moving 3 times due to unforeseen circumstances, and having a mad little girl who rarely sleeps for more than two consecutive hrs!! I know these stresses are very common especially today but I suppose I'm only getting my act together now to try to find a group now we feel settled in the area we are in! Maybe I'm jealous of those "arses" who have the energy to leap about and be so full of the joys of life all the time!! In general I'm a very happy person but sometimes I have lazy days when I don't leave the house and I guess I'm looking for some like minded people to say that this doesn't make me a bad mother!! Good ole Irish mother's guilt lol!!

lol love it as I feel the same way I moved 3 times too and out of my beloved Rathmines to the sticks of Knocklyon and I feel so isolated:( again the group here is as you described and all cheery cherry smiley and blaaaaaaaaa

and im fecking wrecked my not so little 14mth old doesnt sleep through tried everything shortening his nap keeping him up late he just wont sleep through the night and i feel like a walking disaster hahaha really i do

so if you do find a group that isnt as described im in......:)

i try get down to rathmines every week just to rub in my home sickness so hopefully not sounding desperate but if you fancy a coffee and to discuss the effects of sleep deprivation pm me :)

edellc wrote: »

lol love it as I feel the same way I moved 3 times too and out of my beloved Rathmines to the sticks of Knocklyon and I feel so isolated:( again the group here is as you described and all cheery cherry smiley and blaaaaaaaaa

and im fecking wrecked my not so little 14mth old doesnt sleep through tried everything shortening his nap keeping him up late he just wont sleep through the night and i feel like a walking disaster hahaha really i do

so if you do find a group that isnt as described im in......:)

i try get down to rathmines every week just to rub in my home sickness so hopefully not sounding desperate but if you fancy a coffee and to discuss the effects of sleep deprivation pm me :)

It sounds soo familiar!! Would love to meet for coffee if you want to pm me your number we could arrange a coffee date in rathmines!

Advertisement