Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campervan to France via Euro Tunnel

• 18-04-2014 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever taken their camper to France via the Tunnel to Calais? Looks like a great alternative to the ferry to me but interested in peoples experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

bombidol wrote: »
    Has anyone ever taken their camper to France via the Tunnel to Calais? Looks like a great alternative to the ferry to me but interested in peoples experiences.

At least 10 times. It is a complete none event. So simple easy and quick it's not worth talking about.

The drive down through England is a royal pain in the ass. M6 and m25 can both be problematic. Then there is operation stack....

It depends where you final destination is. Fuel is the biggest expense with a camper so make sure that using the tunnel is distance efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I usually used Celtic Link from Wexford to Cherbourg but since Stenaline bought them out and the prices/availability went to hell im looking at my options. Its cheaper for me to get to Holyhead and then drive across to access the Tunnel. My final destination is Krakow in Poland so this would shave a fair chunk of time off my overall travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Sorry I was on my phone the last time I posted.

The channel tunnel is my preferred choice. It is simply hassle free. You have the two hours before and two hours after window, which is great because the journey can be trouble free, but the M6 especailly North of Birmingham can be very busy and they have had road works for the last 7 years I have been traveling it. The M25 and Dartford tunnel is also a potential risk. I would consider the m40 route, it is longer but much more consitant journey times.

The train journey takes 35mins. We usually watch something on the laptop in the back, but we never get to finish it.

Certainly heading to Poland it certainly seems to be a time saver. The distance to drive is much the same. 200km to rosslare then 1850 from Cherbourg to Krakow. Via the tunnel its 580 to the tunnel and 1450 not much in it. Throw in the over night on the ferry (which is a lot more than an overnight) and you will be in Krakow a day earlier.

Book the tunnel early they get mad expensive at the last minute. The Dover ferries can be a good option too.

I suggest heading straight to the terminal and getting out the other side before parking up for the night. But if you wanted to stay at Dover on the return you can park overnight at Marine Parade. We have stayed there plenty of times. Just make sure to get a parking ticket if you are not away before the ticketing period starts, I think it is from 8 in the morning.

Enjoy the trip, hope you have move than one driver.

I usually find the Dover ferry less than ½ the price of the chunnel. £60 return last time i went iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Brother lives near Dover and I've done it a few times in a car and found it far easier going through Pembroke (I assume Fishguard is the same) than Holyhead. Shorter distance by 50km and you avoid the M6.

Nicer scenery in south Wales too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Great advice, thanks a million. Just one driver I'm afraid and its its me! Have done the trip before and took my time. Stopping in a few spots to rest from rubber leg syndrome. Enjoyed it thoroughly and at the end of it I get amazing Polish food from my missus' mother so its worth the trip!
    The plan is to take the latest tunnel crossing possible to avoid traffic on both sides of the water.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Sorry I was on my phone the last time I posted.

The channel tunnel is my preferred choice. It is simply hassle free. You have the two hours before and two hours after window, which is great because the journey can be trouble free, but the M6 especailly North of Birmingham can be very busy and they have had road works for the last 7 years I have been traveling it. The M25 and Dartford tunnel is also a potential risk. I would consider the m40 route, it is longer but much more consitant journey times.

The train journey takes 35mins. We usually watch something on the laptop in the back, but we never get to finish it.

Certainly heading to Poland it certainly seems to be a time saver. The distance to drive is much the same. 200km to rosslare then 1850 from Cherbourg to Krakow. Via the tunnel its 580 to the tunnel and 1450 not much in it. Throw in the over night on the ferry (which is a lot more than an overnight) and you will be in Krakow a day earlier.

Book the tunnel early they get mad expensive at the last minute. The Dover ferries can be a good option too.

I suggest heading straight to the terminal and getting out the other side before parking up for the night. But if you wanted to stay at Dover on the return you can park overnight at Marine Parade. We have stayed there plenty of times. Just make sure to get a parking ticket if you are not away before the ticketing period starts, I think it is from 8 in the morning.

Enjoy the trip, hope you have move than one driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Just for comparison, the Eurotunnel crossing takes 35 mins. DFDS ferries from Dover to Calais takes 90 mins. But the ferry option is usually a lot cheaper.

Ferry option has a restaurant too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Very true. If time isn't an issue, the ferry is a bit more relaxing.

Advertisement