Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Router

• 03-04-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭

Just a query regarding Internet speed we're currently getting at home with Vodafone. It's meant to be the highest speed broadband we're signed up to bar fibrepower but we're getting nowhere near the speeds we used to with Eircom on wireless. It's the same phone line etc but not the same router used.

I'm wondering if I change the router for a different model to the flimsy Vodafone one, will it improve speeds or does it mostly just improve the range of it?

My reason for thinking this is Vodafone repeatedly told me that it was down to the line coming into the house when I had Vodafone broadband in another house (which was in a new estate) - but my neighbour had Sky broadband coming in via the same line and was getting speeds of 2MBps or more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So you're on VDSL with a Huawei modem right?

Connect with a cable and do a speedtest(all other devices in the house off). Record the result. Then remove the cable, go back on wifi, and go to where you'd normally use it, test again.

Post them back here and we can see if somethings up. Chances are if you're on 50 or 70Mb then your wifi may not be able to keep up with it.

Advertisement