Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

I have the solution:

Cameron could either do

a) An official prequel to Alien..seeing as this apparently isn't one.
    After all i think we can all agree he nailed the sequel.

and/or

b) A rebooted sequel to Aliens (without Ripley)

Why the hell not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

No. But I would love if he did the sequel to this. Fincher could do the 3rd!:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, if you were
    awoken from thousand years of stasis by your arrogant creation selfishly seeking immortality
    , you'd be pissed off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

bullvine wrote: »
    OK, they could do a sequel and tidy up everything and then we might look back and think its a really good movie but theres still a lot of corny scenes in it. Like:
    Vickers death was so lame, she should have made it to capsule and been killed by the Jockey but the worst part was when they woke the jockey up. Your waiting for some huge revelation, some blurb to tie eveything together but he basically he just kills everyone, its so corny, astonishingly corny. Not even a hint of what they are, or what they were up too

I didn't think that was corny at all. You may have missed a part when
    Weyland hits Shaw, David says something to the jockey, THEN the jockey decides to kill David and Weyland. He gives Shaw a thump but doesn't seem like he was intent on killing her, just getting her out of the way and off the platform. Whatever David said seems to have been the catalyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

David says to the space jockey:

"I have to be leaving…but I wont let that come between us, okay?”

Oooops .. wrong film!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

OctavarIan wrote: »
    OK, they could do a sequel and tidy up everything and then we might look back and think its a really good movie but theres still a lot of corny scenes in it. Like:
    Vickers death was so lame, she should have made it to capsule and been killed by the Jockey but the worst part was when they woke the jockey up. Your waiting for some huge revelation, some blurb to tie eveything together but he basically he just kills everyone, its so corny, astonishingly corny. Not even a hint of what they are, or what they were up too

I didn't think that was corny at all. You may have missed a part when
    Weyland hits Shaw, David says something to the jockey, THEN the jockey decides to kill David and Weyland. He gives Shaw a thump but doesn't seem like he was intent on killing her, just getting her out of the way and off the platform. Whatever David said seems to have been the catalyst.
    Hmmmmm....are you suggesting that David didn't say what he was meant to? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have the solution:

Cameron could either do

a) An official prequel to Alien..seeing as this apparently isn't one.
    After all i think we can all agree he nailed the sequel.

and/or

b) A rebooted sequel to Aliens (without Ripley)

Why the hell not!

Cameron announced a while ago that he's doing a Lucas and plans to live off Avatar and its numerous sequels for the rest of his career. Avatar 2, 3, 4, even 5 are all in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    You see it's funny, I thought that was much better than if
    they had th jockey speaking to Weyland and co. To me, that would be pure cheesy. I much preferred what happened. These guys are a superior race who created humans (assuming that's what happened). Can't see them giving a **** about the small few humans that have discovered and woken him after whatever event killed them all.
    If were asleep for two thousand years and I got awoken by several hobbits - a religious zealot demanding answers, a self involved old dude demanding a cure, a robot babbling away demanding god knows what, more hobbits standing around with guns - I'd be pretty pissed off too I reckon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I saw Prometheus today. I avoided trailers and articles about it and only saw two or three promo posters for it.

Disappointed overall. The soundtrack in particular didn't seem to fit.

4 or 5/10.

As an aside: 3D is so ****ing dark! Why is it so sh!t!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I've seen a good few here and elsewhere describe Shaw as a religious zealot....I don't think they actually know what a zealot is.

• Advertisement

I've seen a good few here and elsewhere describe Shaw as a religious zealot....I don't think they actually know what a zealot is.

Could you not tell I was being saracastic ? I even put a smiley face in. I'm sad now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the 3D seems to either be amazing or awful depending on who you ask, will be seeing it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

krudler wrote: »
    the 3D seems to either be amazing or awful depending on who you ask, will be seeing it later
    Enjoyed the 3D myself though, seeing it in showtime yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Dermighty wrote: »
    The soundtrack in particular didn't seem to fit.

While the film does have its flaws, the soundtrack is not one of them.

Saw it in 3D myself. The effects weren't overblown and were used generally pretty well. The quality of projection in Cineworld (screen 17) didn't seem too good though, the edges of the screen were slightly off. Overall the 3D wasn't amazing but it did enhance some scenes.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    While the film does have its flaws, the soundtrack is not one of them.

Saw it in 3D myself. The effects weren't overblown and were used generally pretty well. The quality of projection in Cineworld (screen 17) didn't seem too good though, the edges of the screen were slightly off. Overall the 3D wasn't amazing but it did enhance some scenes.

Your opinion, not mine.

The 3D is darker than non 3D (because of the tinted glasses). The whole picture is darker, I have nothing good or bad to say about the effects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

We all know what David said to the Space Jockey that put him in a rage
    Hey, I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my number,
    so call me, maybe?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

But yeah, that basic drive that propelled so much of Lost's central character conflict is present and correct here, and if there's anything that shows Lindelof's fingerprints on the project, it's that.
    As an Alien fan, but not a Lost fan, I agree that this is very much Lindelof's baby. I just think that's a negative thing. This Lostian thing of creating mysteries upon mysteries you have only the vaguest idea of how to eventually (not this episode/film) resove is lazy storytelling. I liked the revelation that
    the space jockeys are just tall, extra-terrestrial humans

Consequences:
    Of course, the fossil record here requires as a result that they displaced homo erectus hundreds of thousands of years ago. Then the archeological record of the film requires that they reappeared (or revealed themselves) hundreds of thousands of years later only to reveal the location of a bio-weapons manufacturing facility to cave men. Finally, they decided to wipe out said cave men around the time we were just inventing trigonometry, only for a problem at said weapons facility to cause the rest of their race to apparently do nothing to fix things for two thousand years.
    Tune in next week to Lost, where we will reveal more mysteries, and maybe solve one in a fashion that makes no sense because we wrote it without knowing how to resolve it in the first place.

You'll forgive me if I'm not awaiting the sequel with bated breath. (This is not my only problem with the film, just my biggest.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I actually thought the soundtrack did not suit the film at all and found it quite distracting. I didn't know others felt the same. Thought it was way too Up and bright for such a film. Thought the film was OK. Fassbender was brilliant but the rest were pretty much cardboard. The effects were fantastic (Was the "Engineer" fully CGI or makeup/enlarged?). but it didn't really feel like an "Alien" film. It felt like it was a film paying homage to Alien. The picture quality (2D) digital in Blanch was fantastic.

Overall, not a bad flick but just that

mikhail wrote: »
    As an Alien fan, but not a Lost fan, I agree that this is very much Lindelof's baby. I just think that's a negative thing. This Lostian thing of creating mysteries upon mysteries you have only the vaguest idea of how to eventually (not this episode/film) resove is lazy storytelling. I liked the revelation that

Consequences:
    Of course, the fossil record here requires as a result that they displaced homo erectus hundreds of thousands of years ago. Then the archeological record of the film requires that they reappeared (or revealed themselves) hundreds of thousands of years later only to reveal the location of a bio-weapons manufacturing facility to cave men. Finally, they decided to wipe out said cave men around the time we were just inventing trigonometry, only for a problem at said weapons facility to cause the rest of their race to apparently do nothing to fix things for two thousand years.
    Tune in next week to Lost, where we will reveal more mysteries, and maybe solve one in a fashion that makes no sense because we wrote it without knowing how to resolve it in the first place.

You'll forgive me if I'm not awaiting the sequel with bated breath. (This is not my only problem with the film, just my biggest.)

Thanked this for the appropriate Lost bashing, although I enjoyed Prometheus.

Awaits inevitable Sad Professor comeback.

Further awaits plethora of Lost in Space jokes.

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON - THE ALIENS ARE IMPREGNATING YOU DANGER DANGER!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I saw Prometheus yesterday and I loved it, I am an aliens fan but I hated everything after resurrection (AVP was pathetic) and even that wasn't great.

Prometheus is more in keeping with the original feel and style. It also demystifies the space jockeys, although having read the books when I was younger, I remember them being much much more terrifying and evil, although the story's were very different from the movies. This movie has HR Giger written all over it.

Anyway I recommend it to alien fans who are interested in the mythology of the franchise and enjoy the dark space opera atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Alien is on Channel 4 tonight at 11.05 for anyone who wants their fix.

Haven't seen Prometheus yet & reviews seem very mixed,I still want to see it but have a feeling I'm going to be a bit disappointed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Saw it today in the Odeon at the Point in 3D, I liked it and have been a fan of the Alien franchise for a long time.

The 3D was very good in some places, but if I see it again I will see it in 2D.

Probably as result of the banging headache I left the place with :pac:

I will be looking forward to the Director's Cut on Bluray.

zerks wrote: »
    Alien is on Channel 4 tonight at 11.05 for anyone who wants their fix.

Haven't seen Prometheus yet & reviews seem very mixed,I still want to see it but have a feeling I'm going to be a bit disappointed by it.

Thanks for that - was wondering what to do with a rainy night when noone wants to go out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

The more i think about this film the worse it gets. It could have been great and a few times during it i thought they were going to rescue the story and it would all come good in the end but every time i thought that it just fell flat on its face...repeatedly. As mentioned in earlier posts its the massive plot holes, stupid crew, terrible dialogue etc that make this so bad. Whether you link it to the Alien universe or have it as a completely stand alone the film it and its characters just make no sense. Avoid!

I actually thought the soundtrack did not suit the film at all and found it quite distracting. I didn't know others felt the same. Thought it was way too Up and bright for such a film.

Overall, not a bad flick but just that

That's my line of thought.

Yeah, it wasn't terrible, but the second half was bad and I'd say 5/10 would be the most I'd give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Just in from seeing this (in 3D) I really wanted to watch it in 2D but the 20.40 showing was 3D only. Anyway, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I thought it was pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Consequences:

Exactly! Nail on the head there. It's like Lost or Abrams Trek all over again. If people spend five minutes thinking about the "intelligent plot" not much of it makes any sense and is just an example of incredibly lazy and unskilled writing wrapped up in expensive glitter. I'd give Prometheus a 6.5/10 - it's not a good film but it's not a bad film either - it's a passable and entertaining enough Summer blockbuster helped by its massive budget and marketing campaign.

The poor and disjointed writing and unimaginative story (relative to what it could have been) are by far the biggest problems but the film has problems everywhere - The Star Trek score was woefully out of place - it's the first time I can remember noticing how bad a score was whilst watching a film, the composition/framing was boring and generic (Landscape intro aside), the pacing of the story was far too rushed (Compare it to the similar setups in Aliens and Event Horizon that are positively dripping with a blend of tension, aprehension, isolation and growing malevolence), the entire film was completely bereft of all atmosphere despite the epicness of what was happening, the lighting was way too bright, with the exception of Fassbender and Repace all the characters were flat and anonymous. If the most widely heard compliment is "The 3D and the special effects were great", I think that says it all. They're the last things I'd ever want a film to be remembered for.

After seeing this, they need to keep Scott the hell away from The Forever War. With much respect for some of his past achievements, he definitely doesn't posess the skills or vision needed for such an important adaptation anymore. Give it to someone who understands the genre and could do it justice - Cuarón, Blomkamp, Whedon...even Nolan or Jackson to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

just saw it there.. enjoyed the film "on its merits" (to quote Johnny Giles)
    was like a prequel to the prequel you would expect.. didn't answer much.. just left more questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just watching alien at the moment and the infamous space jockey scene just passed, the original concept was surely a full biological being and not some guy in a suit? It dosent look anything like a suit in it. I know that hed been there for years etc.. but thats just my thought.

Still havent seen the film though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Consequences:

(I apologise in advance for the potential length of this post and any disjointed opinion contained within.)

Well as I have stated I have various problems with the film on all manner of levels - the appalling dialogue, the bursts of poorly-conceived silliness, the ridiculous music, the ludicrous epilogue... I could go on, and I'm not for a second denying it's a film riddled with flaws. I just fall slightly more on the positive side than the negative. Slightly.

Yet I always think the accusations of perceived Lostness (for lack of a better phrase) are extremely inaccurate. I can only repeat that I didn't think the film was ambiguous enough. To me, there was no question posed that I have any interest in hearing the answer to (I also don't think a sequel is necessary, then, but for potentially different reasons). Because, for considerable amounts of the film (two-thirds, at least), I think the film achieved a good, solid mix of mystery and revelation. True, much of that was damaged by some absurd third act reveals, but I generally don't feel hard done by the film's lack of info. Too much of it, if anything. At its worst, I felt the film was bludgeoning me with its various ponderings. I almost think that if the film was braver and was either a) entirely standalone or b) willing to keep its links to Alien vaguer, it may have overcome the problems that dragged the third act down, and potentially have entered the realm of great sci-fi. I agree some of the revelations are... anti-climactic. But I still think it's full of interesting ideas.

Oh, and a brief tangent re: the ending and calls for a sequel:
    to me it's almost a riff on the starchild ending of 2001. Shaw's search for answers is destined to lead her on an unfinishable quest through space. We always need and want more knowledge than we will ever be able to get and - almost aptly, given much of the response here - seek more questions whenever we're presented with answers. And so that's to me the central reason why a sequel would be redundant here, because the film is ultimately predominantly about the quest for knowledge and its potentially infinite scope.

Having sat through - and (with plenty of reservations, I hasten to add) very much enjoyed - every episode of Lost, for me the show wasn't about the unconvincing answers. Sure, they were occasionally a copout but ultimately it was the mystery that engaged and excited in the earlier seasons. But much more than that it was a show that had a grander focus, with each character distinctly representative of some grander ideological scheme. That was what kept me interested, not the unanswered questions. By the last season it had become abundantly clear that there were huge amounts of interesting, curious allegories and metaphors running beneath the surface. And that, more than the occasionally lame answers, was what rewarded the committed viewer. The final episode of the series was actually a fairly powerful summation of the show's grander thematic scope and often stellar character work: for those who were slowly won over by those things, the show ultimately provided adequate closure. For those who remained convinced that the show's sole purpose was to answer questions about polar bears, well then it wouldn't have closed anything (although fully acknowledge many felt disappointed for other reasons, too). And, of course, sometimes the mystery is the thrill - and in (early) Lost my favourite moments were often the hints and teases. The chase was the reward, so to speak, and the resolution was less important.

Again, I'm unwilling to defend the film entirely, because I can only agree it's an unwieldy, eccentric mess overall (albeit a strangely satisfying one). Yet I simply cannot personally agree with the suggestion that there's not enough answers, or that the writers were aiming for Lost levels of narrative ambiguity. I'd stop short of calling myself a complete fan, but I did watch Lost from premiere to finale (staying up 'til the wee hours to watch it like so many others). Yet to me there's only a thematic link to the series in Prometheus, and overall I think the film has evolved much more - in terms of tone, visuals, characters, design - from Alien DNA than anything that was ever in Lost. For me, the sense of mysterious awe and some thematic / character similarities are where the direct comparisons end.

To me, Prometheus is a relatively complete package. Not perfect, but adequately self-contained and functional within its parameters. Too complete, if anything, and if some of the revelations of act three had been better delivered or, indeed, completely absent, I think we would have had a great film on our hands. Instead, it's a disjointed oddity that still provides some grander ideas and thrilling imagery (can't praise the
    med-pod
    scene enough).

Advertisement