Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

It has taken Michael Rice a long time to recover from the various injuries. It is probably wise not to play him two Sundays in a row just yet. At least I hope that is what is behind BC's thinking but as always the same BC knows far more than I ever will about selecting a team.
    M Rice picked up an ankle injury in training during this week. As was posted, Aylward's ankle gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

Not that Tommy should be playing in the forwards these days, but to say that he wouldn't cut it in the forwards is wrong in my opinion.He managed there just fine in 2003.

2003 was 11 years ago. He was much fresher in the legs back then than he is now. You have to base a player on his recent form, not the form of a decade ago.

I don't think Tommy would do well up front to be honest, he just doesn't have the pace anymore for the speedy game these days.

I think he could still do a serious job at HB to be fair to him, but he does need to stop skying the ball when he's clearing it, and needs to get his speed of touch up a notch from what its been in the league. I reckon midfield would suit him as well, but more of a covering midfielder mopping up loose balls and providing an outlet for defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

It has taken Michael Rice a long time to recover from the various injuries. It is probably wise not to play him two Sundays in a row just yet. At least I hope that is what is behind BC's thinking but as always the same BC knows far more than I ever will about selecting a team.

Rice is recovering from a recurring hamstring injury. He started last week against Tullaroan, but took him a good while to get into the game.
    Its probably not best to risk a lad after coming back so soon from injury, hopefully a lesson well learned after last year.

I will say too while it would be nice to see Rice get a game, we pretty much know what Rice has to offer in high pressure games. At this stage, I would much rather see how the likes of Padraig Walsh go at midfield in pressure games, we'd learn more about our panel that way than playing tried and tested guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

It's good to see the new lads getting start in a knockout match, there would be no point bringing back all the old stagers as soon as the pressure comes on. I think at least two will be starting in the championship to keep it fresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway (HL v Kilkenny) - C Callanan; J Coen, R Burke, D Collins; A Harte, I Tannian, Daithi Burke; David Burke, P Brehony; N Burke, C Cooney, A Smith; N Healy, J Glynn, C Mannion.

Moore out injured. Canning starts on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ouch. Leinster Minor Football Championship FT from Urlingford Offally 7-30 Kilkenny 0-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

Galway (HL v Kilkenny) - C Callanan; J Coen, R Burke, D Collins; A Harte, I Tannian, Daithi Burke; David Burke, P Brehony; N Burke, C Cooney, A Smith; N Healy, J Glynn, C Mannion.

Moore out injured. Canning starts on the bench.

Earlier in the week it was reported that Tannian and Healy were out due to injury. Don't be surprised if Canning starts instead of Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The KK GAA site are advising fans to travel to Limerick via the M7 from Borris-in-Ossory. Seemingly there is a vintage rally in Tipp town tomorrow and this may cause traffic delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Grats wrote: »
    Earlier in the week it was reported that Tannian and Healy were out due to injury. Don't be surprised if Canning starts instead of Healy.

joe cooney in for iarla tannian

and joe canning in for nially healy

jj is captain today

• Advertisement

Kilkenny 0-7 Galway 0-11 half time

M Fennelly (0-1)
    Shefflin (0-1)
    C Fennelly (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    Shefflin (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)

To be fair, there's a wind advantage for Kk in second half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Seriously, he gave Kelly a yellow for that?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Thoughts so far lads?

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Thoughts so far lads?

Galway the better team so far, no doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭me89

Poor so far, half forward line are not really in the game.

Kilkenny 1-16 Galway 0-15 FULL TIME

M Fennelly (0-1)
    Shefflin (0-1)
    C Fennelly (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    Shefflin (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    C Fennelly (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    Tj Reid (0-1)
    Shefflin (0-1)
    P Walsh (0-1)
    C Fennelly (0-1)
    J Power (1-0)
    C Buckley (0-1) lester ryan on for walter
    fogarty on for r hogan
    Shefflin (0-1)
    P Walsh (0-1)

To be fair, there's a wind advantage for Kk in second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Great rally in the 2nd Half very good performance and a great goal from John Power

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

KK strongly improved in 2nd half. Hard to know how much of this was Galway's poor 2nd half, one of the lads said they only scored 4 pts in 2nd half. Brian Kennedy was my MOTM, while Hogan, Buckley and Walsh were very good in 2nd half. Shefflin's touch continues to be sublime. Good to see M Fennelly getting more game time. I couldn't understand why they kept hitting high ball into the full forward line when we couldn't win a ball in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Brian Kennedy was my MOTM, while Hogan, Buckley and Walsh were very good in 2nd half. Shefflin's touch continues to be sublime.
    Great to see the younger guys being mentioned and P Walsh I believe being given man of the match. Lots of improvement still needed but not bad at all.

p walsh was very good alright, as was buckley and kennedy, poor first half, good second half overall. walter walsh was anonymous and mark kelly wasnt far behind. had a bit of luck in the second half when galway hit the crossbar and we went down the field and scored. galway missed a lot in the first half and might be a closer result if joe canning had been fully fit, he was quite poor to be honest. will need to play better to beat tipp or clare in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ouch. Leinster Minor Football Championship FT from Urlingford Offally 7-30 Kilkenny 0-2

That's a disgrace. How are we THAT bad? Something should be done. Even something small to improve the team. Fair enough we can't force people to take up the sport or have an interest. Look at the Cavan minor hurlers this week. They won the county's first ever hurling title.

They did fine. It could have been much worse. We scored 02 and held them to 7-30. Some people are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rossie2014

deadybai wrote: »
    That's a disgrace. How are we THAT bad? Something should be done. Even something small to improve the team. Fair enough we can't force people to take up the sport or have an interest. Look at the Cavan minor hurlers this week. They won the county's first ever hurling title.
    In my opinion the minor team should be pulled out of the Leinster championship. Instead combined school teams should be entered into the schools competitions and see if any improvement can be made through that.

In my opinion we should stop fielding teams in any grade full stop. We have no interest in the game what so ever and never had.If 1% of the population of Kilkenny even look at a Kilkenny football result I would be amazed. I don't know if we have a football board but if we have, disband it and lets get on with what we do best and Hurl and stop wasting resources on the big ball game. I know all about idealism and all that but there is also a truth out there and that truth is that the vast, vast majority of Kilkenny folk just do not care about football and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

In my opinion we should stop fielding teams in any grade full stop. We have no interest in the game what so ever and never had.If 1% of the population of Kilkenny even look at a Kilkenny football result I would be amazed. I don't know if we have a football board but if we have, disband it and lets get on with what we do best and Hurl and stop wasting resources on the big ball game. I know all about idealism and all that but there is also a truth out there and that truth is that the vast, vast majority of Kilkenny folk just do not care about football and never will.

Shocking statement. Very small minded. I would hope you are never in a position of power in our games. Embrace all games and activities of our culture and heritage. ALWAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Shocking statement. Very small minded. I would hope you are never in a position of power in our games. Embrace all games and activities of our culture and heritage. ALWAYS

How's it going running the rounders?

Yes rounders aswell obviously it is not as high profile as the rest and it was not one of the original sports of the Gaa as far as I'm aware. We have to for our young people every opportunity at our native games and let it be at their discretion, which they choose to continue to play. It's our duty to facilitate them in all our games.

Yes rounders aswell obviously it is not as high profile as the rest and it was not one of the original sports of the Gaa as far as I'm aware. We have to for our young people every opportunity at our native games and let it be at their discretion, which they choose to continue to play. It's our duty to facilitate them in all our games.
    Not really, we help grow the game we love. I certainly feel no obligation to football, a sport about which I don't care in the least. I love hurling and help out in any way I can to protect and grow that sport. That seems simple enough to me. I would like to see us play better in football but I certainly wouldn't give of my spare time to help out.

Anyway in more important news...

Was very pleased with the performance today. The debate in our car coming home was about man of the match. All the contenders were new players. That's fantastic to see.

Brian Hogan was the other major concern I had (or rather wholl be centre back). Thought he made a lot of mistakes and got caught for pace a few times, but it was much improved over earlier performances, if he progresses in the final I'd be delighted.

Thought Mick fennelly looked a bit slow. Still got his work done. Walter Walsh was poor, but I'm general you'd be happy with the forwards, especially with how the new game plan is finally really clicking. Galway did well today so I think it's fair to red into the game that it's very promising.

Padraig Walsh was my motm, others mentioned in our car were Brian Kennedy and cillian Buckley (outside contender). I'm happy this evening anyway.

• Advertisement

I appreciate that but doesn't mean that some people wouldn if children showed a particular interest in football. Then it is our obligation as Gaels. Whether you oblige or not is entirely your choice and I respect that. But to extinguish the sport altogether and take away the opportunity is an appalling suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement