Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WiFi powerline networking device problem

Options
  • 20-03-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Bought the TP-Link wpa4220 kit a few weeks ago and used the wifi clone feature. It has worked perfectly since then but seemed to stop working just the other day. I use it upstairs in my house and it won't seem to connect to the wifi. The signal is boosted up to three bars, but just doesn't allow me to connect to the wifi. Using an iPhone 5 to connect to the wifi, if that makes any difference.

I've went into the settings of the adapter and changed the SSID and wep key, but still no change. Any solutions or help?

ISP: eircom eFibre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Bought the TP-Link wpa4220 kit a few weeks ago and used the wifi clone feature. It has worked perfectly since then but seemed to stop working just the other day. I use it upstairs in my house and it won't seem to connect to the wifi. The signal is boosted up to three bars, but just doesn't allow me to connect to the wifi. Using an iPhone 5 to connect to the wifi, if that makes any difference.

I've went into the settings of the adapter and changed the SSID and wep key, but still no change. Any solutions or help?

ISP: eircom eFibre

Is it just the iPhone this happens on or all devices? Try logging into the router (not the powerlink) go into the connected devices list and see if your iPhone is listed there, if so force a renew of the lease or else just switch off the router for a few mins and see if that shakes it loose.

Btw try resetting your iPhone too; hold the home button and power button until you see it restarting (this won't impact any settings or data it just makes the iPhone restart but is better than just switching off & on for certain things)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you really are using wep then you should change it. wep is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Dave..M wrote: »
    Is it just the iPhone this happens on or all devices? Try logging into the router (not the powerlink) go into the connected devices list and see if your iPhone is listed there, if so force a renew of the lease or else just switch off the router for a few mins and see if that shakes it loose.

Btw try resetting your iPhone too; hold the home button and power button until you see it restarting (this won't impact any settings or data it just makes the iPhone restart but is better than just switching off & on for certain things)

Yup, ive restarted the modem and iPhone and tried other devices. Seems to be blocking access to my wifi. When i take out the extender though, all is good...just the connection drops down to 1 bar again.
    FSL wrote: »
    If you really are using wep then you should change it. wep is useless.

My mistake, using wpa :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

IOS, android and OSX devices all implement the wireless standard horribly. Odds are your phone isn't connected to it but is instead maintaining a connection to the original access point it connected to. Disconnect, turn of wireless on the house router, connect to the powerline device and it will work. But it will retain a connection to that at all costs then. I just gave up and used the second AP with a different SSID since nothing else besides my windows laptop worked with it. It even broke my HP printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Got it to work! Ended up emailing tp-link support who showed me how to fix it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement