Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singing / Music Lessons?

• 03-11-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advise regarding singing lessons and if you need any kind of grounding in music theory to help.
    I don't have an awful voice but I do hear myself going flat on notes when I sing. I'm in a musical society and I have no idea how to read music or what a D, C, B flat etc sounds like...so when notes are said by the MD, I have no idea what they are, just try to sing how I'm hearing others.

I would love to get a bit more confidence with singing and was thinking of going for lessons. Long question short, is it an advantage to know some basic theory first or would singing lessons encompass that too?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hi there,

No it is not necessary to know music theory in order to have a good voice. Provided you train your ear and are technically savvy at using your voice, then all will be well. A good coach will help you with your ear and your technique.

Of course, music theory is an asset - just like anything else. Education is never wasted. But it sounds like you're looking for your ear to be more sharp. That comes with practice more so than being able to read music. In my experience anyway! Just because you know what middle C sounds like on a piano, doesn't mean that your ear will hear it accurately and will be able to reproduce it. I often find that it overcomplicates the singing process as it's yet another thing to focus on when performing. For some of my clients, this can actually hamper their confidence.

With regards to finding someone to get lessons from, have a look at this directory http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669237. Otherwise i'm sure some of our helpful posters here will point you in the right direction! (Remember, no phone numbers to be posted lads.. ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

http://www.voicecoachingireland.ie/

I recommend here if you are looking to train your voice and improve your ear. Lots of good exercises and definitely help with getting confident :D

I found it really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Nice! Thanks you guys, simple and concise answers!

Advertisement