Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-02-2012, 23:14   #31
MagicMarker
Registered User
 
MagicMarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pale Blue Dot
Posts: 30,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_man View Post
Depression isn't necessarily a long-term illness though. I think it having that association (on here) is wrong!
Define long term? Depression can last months, years, even a lifetime, I don't see any reason to ignore that association.
MagicMarker is online now  
Advertisement
13-02-2012, 23:16   #32
manual_man
Registered User
 
manual_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_man View Post
Depression isn't necessarily a long-term illness though. I think it having that association (on here) is wrong!
Define long term? Depression can last months, years, even a lifetime, I don't see any reason to ignore that association.
I don't see any reason to promote it. It depends what way you look at it
manual_man is offline  
19-02-2012, 15:42   #33
flyswatter
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,672
I don't think there is a need for this really as the depression/anxiety thread has been the most popular thread for a while now in LTI.

As for the "private" part of the name, isn't that one of the reasons why people use usernames on forums such as this?

-1
flyswatter is offline  
19-02-2012, 15:47   #34
Gillo
Registered User
 
Gillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post

As for the "private" part of the name, isn't that one of the reasons why people use usernames on forums such as this?

-1
A lot of posters here may know people in the real world, their friends may know their user name etc, it's kind of the same reason why PI allows anonymous posts.
Gillo is offline  
19-02-2012, 16:02   #35
flyswatter
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillo View Post
A lot of posters here may know people in the real world, their friends may know their user name etc, it's kind of the same reason why PI allows anonymous posts.
I reckon it's up to the user themselves how much personal information they choose to divulge, hence why common sense and an anonymous username is enough in my opinion.

Also, making a private forum for a common issue such as this makes it more awkward for posters.

It also splits depression away from the illness forum which I think sends out the wrong message as it as much of an illness as any other discussed on the forum.
flyswatter is offline  
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 11:18   #36
Gillo
Registered User
 
Gillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post

I reckon it's up to the user themselves how much personal information they choose to divulge, hence why common sense and an anonymous username is enough in my opinion.

Also, making a private forum for a common issue such as this makes it more awkward for posters.
True, but a lot of people share personnal things, with the benefit of a private forum they will be free to post a lot more.

Not taking away from any illness, but depression has a slight difference in that there is still a stigma, which a lot of other illness' don't have. From my own experience it's often prefable not to tell people you suffer from it.

Also as it affects the emotions, in my opinion it can be quite a personnal illness.

A lot of posters on the current thread find it quite beneficial. Bare in mind that any real life depression support group, has a policy of what goes on or is said at the group stays at the group, a private forum would support that same highly beneficial policy.
Gillo is offline  
22-02-2012, 16:25   #37
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Land of the brave.
Posts: 29,784
+0.5 from me.

I think the subject warrants a dedicated forum but I have reservations about taking it out of the public view completely.

Either way it has my support in any event.
muffler is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-02-2012, 07:48   #38
IrishEyes19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,793
agree a forum for this would be great.

As regards the OP's concern of people announcing that depression isnt real or trying to cause trouble and such, can there be a mod warning maybe that the topic is to stay solely on support and coping techniques and anything that tracks off that into arguments or debates will lead to warnings, bans ect.....that way it could be kept pubic
IrishEyes19 is offline  
26-02-2012, 20:51   #39
Abi
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialist_Pig View Post
the forum would probably fall foul of the 'no medical advice'rule.
There are other forums on boards where questions crop up asking for medical or legal advice, but the forum moderators deal with these accordingly and shut them down.

I think it's important to outline from the get-go what the point or purpose of the forum would be. If there is no medical advice allowed, then the title would probably work better as a 'Depression support' forum, and advertised as a place where people could share their experiences, to give support to one another etc.

Unfortunately depression is still a bit of a taboo subject, and some are ashamed or are uncomfortable discussing it. For this reason, I say no to it being a private forum, because it will not get the traffic it needs. I think that it should be made a sub forum to LTI, with the ability to post anonymously for those that don't want to use their registered account in order to share their story.


I'm giving this a +1 also, because I've suffered from depression in the past, and to be around people that can give each other positivity and support cannot be a bad thing. I'd imagine theres a lot of of it about at the moment, sadly.

But yes, this could definitely be a benefit to a lot of people, with the right set up.
Abi is offline  
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 21:04   #40
thrilledskinny
Registered User
 
thrilledskinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 147
I dont think there is any need for this....I think its best to keep the one thread going 'lets all be anxious and depressed together'.....I think putting up a forum will just mean you divide up the numbers posting on this thread already, as some will stick with LTI thread....others will post on the forum.....and others will go between both........

Also isnt it great the way on 'LTI lets all be anx' thread that all types of people with all variations of these illness post and we can all learn from each other....people with anxiety post, people with bipolar post etc etc...
What next set up a seperate thread for anxiety, then one for bipolar....
Your dividing your resourses....lets all benefit.....and there is a little bit of all these complaints in us all, they are all related.....
thrilledskinny is offline  
26-02-2012, 21:25   #41
Abi
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrilledskinny View Post
I dont think there is any need for this....I think its best to keep the one thread going 'lets all be anxious and depressed together'.....I think putting up a forum will just mean you divide up the numbers posting on this thread already, as some will stick with LTI thread....others will post on the forum.....and others will go between both........
I've just noticed now that there is the capability for anon posting, which is useful. However I think the title comes across as a little unwelcoming and dismissive. I think the thread in itself is a great thing, though I fear that it may be unwelcoming to new comers, given there is already a regular base of posters.

Quote:
What next set up a seperate thread for anxiety, then one for bipolar....
Your dividing your resourses....lets all benefit.....and there is a little bit of all these complaints in us all, they are all related.....
Yes they all can cross-over, so it counteracts your argument against it.
Abi is offline  
26-02-2012, 21:39   #42
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Land of the brave.
Posts: 29,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrilledskinny View Post
I dont think there is any need for this....I think its best to keep the one thread going 'lets all be anxious and depressed together'.....I think putting up a forum will just mean you divide up the numbers posting on this thread already, as some will stick with LTI thread....others will post on the forum.....and others will go between both........

Also isnt it great the way on 'LTI lets all be anx' thread that all types of people with all variations of these illness post and we can all learn from each other....people with anxiety post, people with bipolar post etc etc...
What next set up a seperate thread for anxiety, then one for bipolar....
Your dividing your resourses....lets all benefit.....and there is a little bit of all these complaints in us all, they are all related.....
If I could just point a little something out to indicate the possible success of a new forum/sub forum.

About 6 years we ago we managed to get a split away forum created from DIY which was titled "Construction & Planning". It got so busy we felt the need to group the topics into various categories and look for dedicated sub-forums to cope with the various and wide-ranging topics. Today we have 5 public and 2 private sub forums in addition to the parent forum and it works a treat.

It has made the mods lives a lot easier and provides the public with a much more user-friendly place to post their comments and queries.

I see no reason why the same wouldn't work with LTI.
muffler is offline  
26-02-2012, 22:12   #43
mathepac
Banned
 
mathepac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Within You, Without You
Posts: 4,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_man View Post
Depression isn't necessarily a long-term illness though. I think it having that association (on here) is wrong!
I've always argued that the 'labelling' that takes place in the mental health services is one of the major obstacles to helping people get well again. I think it's important that people have a place to come and describe how they feel without being told (again) they suffer from SAD, are bi-polar, in the middle of a depressive episode, are disthymic, suffer from endogenous or exogenous depression, or whatever.

IME people don't even want to hear the usual cliches trotted out e.g. "You'll be grand", "It'll pass" they just want acknowledgement that their feelings, doubts, uncertainties are real. Sometimes just vocalising the feeling is the first step in releasing its power over the person. Long-term, short-term, who cares IMHO, just create a place for people to dump stuff and not have to pick it up again.

I'd hoped we'd moved passed the labelling in the HSE but recently attending a clinic a young nurse asked me "Are you the [insert condition here]?" "No, I replied my family and friends usually call me 'mathepac' and I'm here to see Dr. X thanks." She's had a 'bake' on her with me since in this 'centre of excellence'.
mathepac is offline  
28-02-2012, 03:13   #44
Princess Peach
Registered User
 
Princess Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mushroom Kingdom
Posts: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
If I could just point a little something out to indicate the possible success of a new forum/sub forum.

About 6 years we ago we managed to get a split away forum created from DIY which was titled "Construction & Planning". It got so busy we felt the need to group the topics into various categories and look for dedicated sub-forums to cope with the various and wide-ranging topics. Today we have 5 public and 2 private sub forums in addition to the parent forum and it works a treat.

It has made the mods lives a lot easier and provides the public with a much more user-friendly place to post their comments and queries.

I see no reason why the same wouldn't work with LTI.
There really aren't that many threads on depression in LTI, and the main one doesn't have much traffic, as was mentioned above. I post in it sometimes, its really just got about 10-15 regular posters. This thread was linked on that thread the other day and not many have come here to support it. I don't think there is enough posters to warrant a whole forum. And again if it is because its a public forum, all they need to do is post anon.

I know the recent threads on depression in After Hours have been very popular, but in all of them the LTI thread was mentioned and it didn't do much to increase the posting there. People would rather post about it in the highly public forum of After Hours that to take it to the ongoing thread, so I don't see how a private forum would be of benefit? I think the reason for this forum suggestion was because of the popularity of the after hours threads, but if you read through them the majority of the posts are not by sufferers of the illness.

It's still a -1 for me anyway.
Princess Peach is offline  
05-03-2012, 10:44   #45
LoLth
Verified Reprehensible
 
LoLth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: little boxes.
Posts: 8,485
end total: +6

marking the proposal for a seperate Private forum for depression expired.
LoLth is offline  
Forum Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search