Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water usage

• 05-03-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I reckon this is as good a forum as any for this - apologies in advance if it belongs somewhere else. Any of the other threads I have found have descended into rabble rousing political discussion/agitation and I can't find any real discussion.

I'm wondering if people have been monitoring their water usage in recent months, and if so how do they find they measure up against the Irish Water allowances or whatever they are called these days.

I've been tracking since November and we (2 adults, 2 teenagers) are averaging just about 1.5m3 per week since then. If we extrapolate this out to a years duration this comes in at about 78m3. Since we get 21m3 allowance per child, we will actually be paying for only 36m3.

At €3.70 per m3 this works out at ~€130, and since the nice man from the Government will be giving me €100 to, err, conserve water, this means that we should only be paying €30 for the year. That's a bargain if ever I saw one.

Have other people done the maths yet (with real figures) and worked out how much they expect to be paying this year? It will be interesting to see how water usage increases/decreases in the Summer. I expect more showers, but less washing machine usage due to lighter/less bulky clothes. Overall I think usage will go up, but I wonder by how much.

z

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's interesting in that some people may not conserve water if they feel no guilt since they are paying it.

It will be interesting to see how water usage in the first year of the meters compares to the second one.

Advertisement