Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which combo box ?

• 18-10-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

More confusion

I thought there were only 2 Saorview approved combo/combi boxes - the Walker WP654TS-HD and Triax TSC 114.

Now to make me more confused there's this Finlux SAO634 STB T8010 and yet another, the 4ife SV600 (I think it's a combo).

I know it's purely subjective but .....
    which has the BEST SOFTWARE - pretty user interface ! - ease of manipulation of favourites - sorting favourites - EASE of switching between Irish and British channels etc.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ei9go

Don't buy a combo box. Buy a FREESAT receiver or FREESAT+ if you want to record and a sperate box or tv for Saorview. Free to Air receivers are a pain in the butt. There are lots of threads about this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ei9go wrote: »
    Don't buy a combo box. Buy a FREESAT receiver or FREESAT+ if you want to record and a sperate box or tv for Saorview. Free to Air receivers are a pain in the butt. There are lots of threads about this.

Nothing wrong with the Ferguson Combo boxes I have, and I record off them onto an external drive without issue.
    Why have 2 boxes when you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Does a TV exist that does the job of a combo box, but without the box? I want to put a tv on the wall of my bedroom that I can watch saorview channels on, and the free satellite channels too. If so, can someone point me in the direction of one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

RonnieL wrote: »
    Does a TV exist that does the job of a combo box, but without the box? I want to put a tv on the wall of my bedroom that I can watch saorview channels on, and the free satellite channels too. If so, can someone point me in the direction of one?
    If you are on the East Coast its quite possible that you could pick up all of the Saorview and Freeview (UK) on your TV (if it has a digital tuner)without buying a box.

If you are on the East Coast its quite possible that you could pick up all of the Saorview and Freeview (UK) on your TV (if it has a digital tuner)without buying a box.

I'm in Galway, so I have a Satellite dish which was put up for Sky. I still have Sky in the sitting room, but I cancelled the connection in my bedroom. With that in mind, does a TV exist that I could plug the cable from the satellite into, along with a seperate saorview aerial, and have all the channels with no boxes? I fear not!

• Advertisement

I'm in Galway, so I have a Satellite dish which was put up for Sky. I still have Sky in the sitting room, but I cancelled the connection in my bedroom. With that in mind, does a TV exist that I could plug the cable from the satellite into, along with a seperate saorview aerial, and have all the channels with no boxes? I fear not!
    Yes there are a few TVs that are equiped with FreeView HD and FreeSat HDtuners.
    Eg LG 7700 , Samsung C7700/D8000

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Yes you can. Spotted a finlux 32 in harvey normans castlebar with saorview and a free to air tuner €369 but only hd ready I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yes there are a few TVs that are equiped with FreeView HD and FreeSat HDtuners.
    Eg LG 7700 , Samsung C7700/D8000

The Lg 7700! Theres a blast from the past. They discontinued them in 2009.

Coastal parts of Wexford and parts of Wicklow, not the entire east coast.

STB wrote: »
    Coastal parts of Wexford and parts of Wicklow, not the entire east coast.
    Louth/Meath as well

STB wrote: »
    The Lg 7700! Theres a blast from the past. They discontinued them in 2009.

Any recent models anyone knows of?

Reason I ask is I want to put a flat screen TV up high in the corner of a bedroom. Plan is to put it on one of the arms that can swivel and tilt. Anyway, I don't want the clutter of a receiver if I can avoid it. Or is there a way to hide a receiver by attaching it to the back of a tv somehow?

• Advertisement

Any recent models anyone knows of?

Reason I ask is I want to put a flat screen TV up high in the corner of a bedroom. Plan is to put it on one of the arms that can swivel and tilt. Anyway, I don't want the clutter of a receiver if I can avoid it. Or is there a way to hide a receiver by attaching it to the back of a tv somehow?

Just came across this http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11-WP2670&pages=1&prod=WP2670&brands=WALKER&image==

All the saorview/saorsat/freeview/freesat/mpeg4/mpeg5 lingo confuses me. All I know is I have a connection coming from a Sky Satellite, and I have an aerial that I know works for Saorview channels. Do people think that this TV will allow me to plug both in (at the same time), and have all the free channels together on one TV?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just came across this http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11-WP2670&pages=1&prod=WP2670&brands=WALKER&image==

All the saorview/saorsat/freeview/freesat/mpeg4/mpeg5 lingo confuses me. All I know is I have a connection coming from a Sky Satellite, and I have an aerial that I know works for Saorview channels. Do people think that this TV will allow me to plug both in (at the same time), and have all the free channels together on one TV?!
    Yes

but you won't have the 7 day program guide for the satelite channels - that's the big feature from Freesat / Second hand sky box / certain receivers with tweaked firmware / using a card in a computer

"live pause and record ready" ready means that it's possible to hook up an external recorder to record what is currently on the screen without an IT degree - it doesn't necessarily mean that the TV will record while you are out or offer a series link and for satellite channels you'll probably have to lookup start and end times on the interweb or RTE guide and type them in manually.

Yes

but you won't have the 7 day program guide for the satelite channels - that's the big feature from Freesat / Second hand sky box / certain receivers with tweaked firmware / using a card in a computer

"live pause and record ready" ready means that it's possible to hook up an external recorder to record what is currently on the screen without an IT degree - it doesn't necessarily mean that the TV will record while you are out or offer a series link and for satellite channels you'll probably have to lookup start and end times on the interweb or RTE guide and type them in manually.

The tv would be for a bedroom so I'm not pushed about the recording functionality anyway. So if it won't have a 7 day program guide for the satellite channels, what will it have - just what's currently on? It would be nice to be able to see what's on next but I'm sure I'd live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

The Xoro 9000+ is an ok combo box. I use one to get Irish terrestrial + satellite TV in the living room via a dish and aerial on the roof and then have a cable to bedroom with a Triax Tri-link magic eye device on the end of it. RF out on Xoro with this device means we have TV in both places. Can record on USB drive or memory stick and watch in either location. EPG on Irish channels only.

The main thing that annoys me about the box is the manual; it's rubbish. Most of the functionality is fairly obvious once it's installed (I had someone do it) but I haven't yet figured out how to set up favourite channels. If anyone here knows please shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Is there such thing as a Saorview + f.t.a combo hard drive recording box?
    That would be the business.

Having a built-in hard drive but no EPG for the satellite channels would be slightly lame.

The Xoro 9000+ I mentioned earlier can record ok on a USB drive. BTW tvtrade.ie have a video on how set up favourites on their web site. (A lot clearer than the manual.)

The Technomate TM6902 HD or TM7102HD may be worth a look. I think might prefer a Dreambox but don't have time to research just now and certainly the better ones are up there pricewise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mydogjack wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a Saorview + f.t.a combo hard drive recording box?
    That would be the business.
    Because that would be too easy.

there are some boxes that come close, but at present the cheapest option is to get a good Freesat Box and put an external drive on a Saorview box.

Ah looks like you can get 'SKY anywhere' too
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/freesat-box-range
    TV anywhere with SlingLoaded technology

A world first, this Echostar box with a massive 500GB hard drive is the first to combine freesat+ features with Sling Media’s unique place-shifting ability, enabling TV anywhere, on all popular smartphones and tablets.

Freesat doesn't give you on demand but ...
    Model: HDR-1000S -500GB

This Humax box has all the same great features of freesat+ and also has , the smart new TV guide from freesat. makes it easier to find all the programmes you love. You can even roll back in time to watch shows that have already been on in the past 7 days (selected channels). Plus, enjoy Showcase, top TV picks selected for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Having a built-in hard drive but no EPG for the satellite channels would be slightly lame.

The Xoro 9000+ I mentioned earlier can record ok on a USB drive. BTW tvtrade.ie have a video on how set up favourites on their web site. (A lot clearer than the manual.)

The Technomate TM6902 HD or TM7102HD may be worth a look. I think might prefer a Dreambox but don't have time to research just now and certainly the better ones are up there pricewise.

The Xoro9000+ does not do 7 day epg on satellite.

The Technomates you mentioned do, via a workaround patch. The models ending in 2 have a DVB-T2 tuner as distinct from the models ending in zero which have a dvb-t tuner.

Actually, that was my intended point. A box with a hard drive should have a proper EPG!

I presume a DVB-T2 is preferable, especially if as in my case you live in a location where the terrestrial signal is marginal.

Advertisement