Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aw Rube, sorry you got insulted. Was your cooking not up to scratch then? The results which are presented on my Christmas Day Dinner Table are usually hit-and-miss. As I only cook this stuff once a year I can never get it perfectly right every time. Timing everything is difficult, making sure it all gets onto the plates at the right time, and piping hot, and then it takes some of the family a bit longer to raise themselves from the TV to get to said table. Every January I say I'll get it right next year, but I never do. Don't tell me to get others involved because that would mean several training sessions.....'the knives are in the drawer on the left, and the forks are in the drawer on the right' kinda thing. By the time I give instructions everything has gone cold and that's my Christmas Dinner ruined! Now I'm thinking I'll do it all again in a couple of weeks, just for practice! Will I never learn?

My cooking skills are, as you would expect, zip / nil / so, a few years ago, when I noticed that Mrs. BrensBenz was run ragged cooking Christmas dinner and telling me that I was in the way, I thought "next year, we'll have Christmas Day at home and then straight to a hotel for a few days. A local hotel, so that we're close enough for family and friends to visit but somewhere where Mrs. BrensBenz's meals would be served to her and her feet would either be up or in a spa." "Great plan" said all, followed by congratulations on my wondrous kindness. Encouraged by these responses, I booked 26, 27 and 28 Dec at a really nice, nearby hotel and relaxed into a smug glow, knowing that next Christmas gift was sorted.

Well, imagine my surprise when, next Christmas, on opening her gift, her face dropped......to the floor! "But....but.... we can't just up and leave at Christmas! Do we have to go??? What about....blah blah blah?"

So we stayed at home, huffed, puffed and fussed through Christmas (as usual) and then, for several days, made endless meals of cold leftovers (as usual).

Perhaps, just maybe, sometimes and in some circumstances, there is a possibility that maybe, just maybe this annual, Christmas misery is self-inflicted.

Runs, well hobbles to boatshed because medics told me to avoid stressful sitchyayshins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Aw Rube, sorry you got insulted. Was your cooking not up to scratch then? The results which are presented on my Christmas Day Dinner Table are usually hit-and-miss. As I only cook this stuff once a year I can never get it perfectly right every time. Timing everything is difficult, making sure it all gets onto the plates at the right time, and piping hot, and then it takes some of the family a bit longer to raise themselves from the TV to get to said table. Every January I say I'll get it right next year, but I never do. Don't tell me to get others involved because that would mean several training sessions.....'the knives are in the drawer on the left, and the forks are in the drawer on the right' kinda thing. By the time I give instructions everything has gone cold and that's my Christmas Dinner ruined! Now I'm thinking I'll do it all again in a couple of weeks, just for practice! Will I never learn?

Sympathies hon I have always appreciated the efforts of others in the kitchen as I am a terrible cook ( I can bake cakes and pies though) Sadly despite my advancing years this was my first ever Christmas dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Top marks for trying anyway Rube! Thinking back, I suppose I did the same thing in my youth, just sat and had Christmas served to me! :o Brens, I'll take you up on that offer next year, ok? So I've started taking down the deccyrayshuns now. Cards in a pile waiting to be re-read, have to find those ones that said ' we MUST meet up after Christmas', contact them and see if they REALLY meant it! Bet they didn't! Did you do any Christmas visiting this year? We reduced our visiting many years ago, now its only one annual visit to folk we see.......well, once a year actually! Its always the same, 'how have you been keeping?', 'how are all the family?', 'did you ever get a job?' (grrrrrrr!), ' you'll have a cup of tea?', then after tea we sit in silence unable to think of any conversation at all until at last I can say 'its time we were going', then they say 'ah no, will you take a quick cup of tea before you go then', (go on, go on, go on!), and it starts all over again. The wind be howling around my ankles this dark and gloomy night. Time to hobble off to bed and snuggle down under the blankets until this storm blows over. Can't wait for that first crocus or daffydill.

Top marks for trying anyway Rube! Thinking back, I suppose I did the same thing in my youth, just sat and had Christmas served to me! :o Brens, I'll take you up on that offer next year, ok? So I've started taking down the deccyrayshuns now. Cards in a pile waiting to be re-read, have to find those ones that said ' we MUST meet up after Christmas', contact them and see if they REALLY meant it! Bet they didn't! Did you do any Christmas visiting this year? We reduced our visiting many years ago, now its only one annual visit to folk we see.......well, once a year actually! Its always the same, 'how have you been keeping?', 'how are all the family?', 'did you ever get a job?' (grrrrrrr!), ' you'll have a cup of tea?', then after tea we sit in silence unable to think of any conversation at all until at last I can say 'its time we were going', then they say 'ah no, will you take a quick cup of tea before you go then', (go on, go on, go on!), and it starts all over again. The wind be howling around my ankles this dark and gloomy night. Time to hobble off to bed and snuggle down under the blankets until this storm blows over. Can't wait for that first crocus or daffydill.

"Blankets???" What's dem tings?

We send very few cards now. Instead, we phone previous card recipients on Christmas morning and put the phone on "speaker" so we can hear the post pressie / pre lunch chat in the background. Somewhere between a card and a visit but it seems to go down well. Many of the recipients know each other so we can pass on greetings and gossip. However, this year we got told that we are old fogies for now doing video calls on facetime or something similar. Maybe next year....when I figure out Mrs. Brensbenz's iPad yoke.

In these here parts, primroses mean Spring is sprung. It's pretty draughty here at the moment - wheelie bins are sailing across the lawn in convoy - so I hope that the primroses, crocussesses and daffydillies are keeping their heads down until it's safe.

PS: Our brown bin has just been collected. Deloyrah and eksoyrah to know that the marzipan is going to a better place.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    "Blankets???" What's dem tings?

Dem's the tings UNDER the duvet, and OVER the sheet! I feel the cold something awful, so I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

BrensBenz wrote: »

PS: Our brown bin has just been collected. Deloyrah and eksoyrah to know that the marzipan is going to a better place.

Ah, here now, that's just unkind. (not to mention muck stirring...) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like my marzipan with marmite.
    /Troll
    :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Happy National Marzipan Day..........I kid you not

BBDBB wrote: »
    Happy National Marzipan Day..........I kid you not

He's right! Well blow me down! http://www.food.com/food-holidays/marzipan-day-0112 Who'd a thought it? And who thinks these things up?

looksee wrote: »
    He's right! Well blow me down! http://www.food.com/food-holidays/marzipan-day-0112 Who'd a thought it? And who thinks these things up?

Producers of marzipan, I expect. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    I like my marzipan with marmite.
    /Troll
    :D

A man after my own cardiac arrest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

YoooooHoooo! I'm baaack :D
    Me laptop died on me :mad: and to top it off, he who thinks he's funny bought me a smart phone for Christmas. So basically I've been cut off from the outside world!

We did have a little jaunt to some lovely snow though :)

Now....I need thoughts, prayers and everything crossed for me for the next few hours....I've an interview at 6pm. If I get the job, I'll be back doing what I love best (nearly)...feeding people!

Good luck, Chuck! Take em some soup! Hope it goes well!

Gluck Chuck! Fingers crossed for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Myself and the Jack Russell have had fingers and paws crossed here. Hope all went well Chucken.

Fingers crossed for you Chuck. And also for your potential victims :D

Great to have you back hon xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Well, everything seemed to go ok. I was meant to hear back by yesterday evening but nothing yet....tbh, I dont want to hear back. It's not a place I could be happy in. A lot of b*tching about managment in front of me. I mean, I could've been anyone!!!
    Also, a LOT of regulations not adhered to. It would drive me mad(er)

Anyway, I have another hopeful on the way in the next 2 weeks and I know Id love it there. Already worked there for 9 years back in the day ;)

good luck my friend xx

Chucken wrote: »
    .... A lot of b*tching about managment in front of me. I mean, I could've been anyone!!!... ;)

Aw Chuck, you're not just anyone! You're speshull!! Best of luck with the hunt.

Chucken wrote: »
    Anyway, I have another hopeful on the way in the next 2 weeks and I know Id love it there. Already worked there for 9 years back in the day ;)

Sounds like a lucky escape! Here's hoping the next one falls into your lap.

Fierce cowuld here today. I've just been outside, feeding the birdies and the grass was crackling under my tartan slippers with velcro on the sides.

Travelled to Cork last week to meet up with one of my superannuated boyband members. On the way, one of my tyres went all flat at the bottom - the rest of the tyre seemed grand though buh. Later, I got the sharp intake of breath from Mr. Tyre Fixer so, remembering my late dad's advice that tyres are the only reason I'm not in the ditch, I forked out for two new tyres. They squirted the correct amount of wind into all of the tyres and I continued on my merry way.

At home yesterday, I thought it wise to recheck the wind pressures and check the torques (technical term for "tightness") of the wheelnuts. The first wheelnut socket immediately shattered so I resorted to the hardened / impact sockets which were supplied with my super-duper, wind-powered impact wrench. Well, the impact wrench purred, then wheezed, then farted and eventually spat its airhose off, leaving it to flap wildly around the driveway, scaring the woof.

"Lucky thing I checked these BEFORE I got another punksture at the side of the road, in a hurry, in the pouring rain, in the dark".

The wheelnuts stubbornly continued to resist any form of movement - never has so much been shouted at so little by so few for so long - but, eventually, victory was mine. With my trusty torque wrench (a yoke for checking tightness) I conquered the wheelnuts and now they are removable by people smaller than sumo wrestlers. And my back will be better by next week.

See, Mr. Tyre Fitter also has a wind-powered impact wrench which he sets to 11 to remove rusty or stubborn wheelnuts. When refitting the nuts, he SHOULD adjust the force down to the car makers' recommended torque......but he never does! The moral of this tale is to tell Mr. Tyre Fitter to apply the correct torque to the wheelnuts or you will return and apply the broken wheelbrace, with maximum torque, onto his bonce.

Terms and conditions apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

But at least you escaped the 'joy' of tyre changing grazed knuckles.........

The moment you feel the wrench slipping and your delicate little knuckles scrapping off the wheel nuts is the moment that language you didn't even know you had comes pouring out of you.

Luckily being a hen, very kind gentlemen normally help if I am seen struggling with the wheel. So I step back and watch them try and counteract the best work of Mr. tyre fitting man:)

Thankfully I have never had to mend a punkchure. When I first got my wheels himself trained me in on mending punkchures. And as every female woman knows by now......we CAN mend the punkchures, we just CAN'T unscrew dem nuts 'cos we wuzzent born wit big mussels like wot the male women were.

By the way Brens, when yer man set his wrench to E-leven did you know that it is the very best number? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/quotes

Love that spinal tap link jb, never seen it before!

One of our most favourite films!

Thankfully I have never had to mend a punkchure. When I first got my wheels himself trained me in on mending punkchures. And as every female woman knows by now......we CAN mend the punkchures, we just CAN'T unscrew dem nuts 'cos we wuzzent born wit big mussels like wot the male women were.

Well, Mrs. BrensBenz is a bike fan and one of her bikes has a punksture. Do you do "while-u-wait" punksture repairs? I can supply the spoons.

Anyway, today, while (or should that be "wallst"?) out looking for plasters for Mrs. BrensBenz's bike tyre, I allowed myself to be persuaded, by a member of the younger generation, to enter a "Subway" restaurant. Have yiz been? It's like being in the dock at the Nuremberg trials. The " Sandwich Artist" asks:What sort of bread? What size? What would you like on it? Cheese? Plain or spicy? Toasted? Salad? Sauces? Drink? Cookie? They have every imaginable variant of a sambo......BUT NO BUHHER!!!! How on Earth can you have a sambo with no buhher? It's....it's....it's a mortler!

Have to say though, although stressful.....it was tasty.

There are far too many choices today. If it's not sambo's, it's coffee. When they ask me 'how do you like it', I just can't answer.....my mind explodes. Coffee! Coffee! I just want.....Coffee! Gimme!

There are far too many choices today. If it's not sambo's, it's coffee. When they ask me 'how do you like it', I just can't answer.....my mind explodes. Coffee! Coffee! I just want.....Coffee! Gimme!

Be careful, Jellybaby! I once agreed to an espresso. Tiny cup, great smell but the coffee was semi-solid. It smashed into my tonsils like a juggernaut and brought coffee-flavoured tears to my eyes. Since then, I ask for an "Americano", i.e. plain and simple.

Agree with you there Brens, I like my drinks to have an element of fluid replacement in them, Espresso is just concentrated abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What is wrong with you people.

First they came for the marmite and I did not speak out.
    Next they came for the marzipan and I did not speak out.
    Then they came for the espresso and then there was nothing nice left anywhere for me.
    :eek:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

:eek: You did not speak out!! Pshaw! :D

(and espresso is overrated...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement