Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

• 12-04-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

At the suggerstion of our illustrious mod, toomevara, I would like to open this thread up to Munster fans [and appreciators!] to discuss all things Munster.

Topics for discussion here include team news, transfers, rumours and upcoming matches.

Stand Up and Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Is it open for constructive criticism or is it to be more phallus polishing like munsterfans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Topics to discuss
    What team do people want lining out in the game against Biarritz?
    Do people think that the players will struggle in the heat, as evident in the Biarritz v Ospreys game?
    What upcoming talent is there coming through the ranks that the casual fan hasn't heard about yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is it open for constructive criticism or is it to be more phallus polishing like munsterfans ?

Constructive criticism is welcome. W*nkery can be left to munsterfans.
    emmet02 wrote: »
    What team do people want lining out in the game against Biarritz?

For me personally, the only changes I would make would be POC and Hurley coming back. While I think Buckley needs to start, I don't see that happening. I also thought Coughlan had a good game so he should retain his place.
    Do people think that the players will struggle in the heat, as evident in the Biarritz v Ospreys game?

The only players I feel this could effect on are Hayes and possibly Quinlan but both have very able replacements in Buckley and Williams so I'm not too worried about it.
    What upcoming talent is there coming through the ranks that the casual fan hasn't heard about yet?

That is for someone much more knowledgable than me to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭phog

Scans Today For Dowling & Howlett.
    12 April 2010, 3:35 pm By Pat Geraghty

Doug Howlett (hamstring) and Ian Dowling (knee) will both undergo scans this afternoon to determine the full extent of the injuries they picked up against Northampton Saints on Saturday.The results of those scans will be announced tomorrow.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7398.php

I hope they both are available for the end of the season, a few tricky games still to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

With the British & Irish Cup semi final less than two weeks away Anthony Foley takes a youthful squad to England on Wednesday to play Esher RFC.

Although they have five games still to play, the London club were crowned National League One Champions this weekend after their 31-12 win over Blaydon coincided with defeat for London Scottish.

The game against Munster will be played at Esher's Molesey Road ground with a provisional 5.45pm kick off.

Munster: Troy Smith (Midleton), Ronan O'Mahony (Garryowen), Mike Kelliher (Richmond), Mossie Lawlor (Shannon), Luke O'Dea (Shannon), Paul Rowley (UL Bohs), Aiden McNulty (UL Bohs), Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohs), Mike Sherry (Garryowen), Pa O'Regan (UL Bohs), Frank McKenna (Garryowen), Fergal Walsh (Shannon), Dave Sherry (Garryowen), Eoghan Grace (Shannon), Paddy Butler (Shannon). Replacements: Duncan Casey (Shannon), James Cronin (Highfield), Darragh Frawley (UL Bohs), Kieran O'Gorman (UL Bohs), Cathal Sheridan (UL Bohs), Johnny Holland (UCC), David Maloney (UL Bohs).

Interesting that Mossie Lawlor is playing though I presume it has to do with injuries to senior squad members and 'A' players being called up.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise Dougie was injured. Hope it isn't serious for either of them.

When is Hurley back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

connacht munster next sunday, does anyone know if munster will be resting any of their big guns. poc will def play it fit, i hope we will see croinin up against flan

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

I had a fear Howlett was injured, he looked unhappy when scoring his last try, and then he was taken off for Holland and Ronan finished the game on the wing.

We're running out of wingers now! Hope to god some of the guys can come through for the next leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good idea for thread. Like the Soccer forum, match discussion should be kept to match threads IMO.

Hard to know the team for Biarritz with all the injuries/doubts at present.

What current academy players are getting full contracts next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Dare I even type it, but POC really shouldn't be an automatic inclusion unless he finds not only form but also keeps the scrum progressing like it is.

He has been way out of form and maybe that is due to playing through an injury until it got to the point it eventually did.

Either way O'Driscoll has really been impressive and it would be hard to sacrifice that just on POC's reputation no matter how good he has been.

I know is almost sacrilege to type it but I think it's a big selection call.

• Advertisement

subfreq wrote: »
    Dare I even type it, but POC really shouldn't be an automatic inclusion unless he finds not only form but also keeps the scrum progressing like it is.

He has been way out of form and maybe that is due to playing through an injury until it got to the point it eventually did.

Either way O'Driscoll has really been impressive and it would be hard to sacrifice that just on POC's reputation no matter how good he has been.

I know is almost sacrilege to type it but I think it's a big selection call.

Please tell me you dont buy into George Hooks's nonsense theory that the scrum was better because POC wasn't playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Is there a difference between munster fans and munsterfans?

Please tell me you dont buy into George Hooks's nonsense theory that the scrum was better because POC wasn't playing?

Hooky is infamous for making a conclusion about a player after one game (Edit: Actually I was the same re George Nauopu but that's another story :D).

Remember after the semi-final last season when he said Stringer and Wallace's careers were "over"? :rolleyes:

We learned from the Lions second test that big second rows (Simon Shaw in this case) make an impact at scrumtime, but to suggest that POC is a poor scrummager because the Munster scrum performed well (without him) in one game is laughable.

Hooky is infamous for making a conclusion about a player after one game (Edit: Actually I was the same re George Nauopu but that's another story :D).

Remember after the semi-final last season when he said Stringer and Wallace's careers were "over"? :rolleyes:

We learned from the Lions second test that big second rows (Simon Shaw in this case) make an impact at scrumtime, but to suggest that POC is a poor scrummager because the Munster scrum performed well (without him) in one game is laughable.

That one was up there with "Tommy Bowe is too slow for an international winger" and re Marcus Horan about 8 years ago " Marcus Horans arse is too small for him to ever be a decent prop" . Although we did get the nickname "slim jeans" out of the last quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

what the story with riordan in munster is he still there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Hes been playing in some of the B&I cup games.

Really should consider moving on tbh as hes miles down the pecking order.

outwest wrote: »
    what the story with riordan in munster is he still there

As far as I know he is. He played the preseason games and has featured in the vast majority of A games this season.

You can have him back if you want, we'll call it a down payment for Cronin.

I think he was signed as cover for Ciaran O'Boyle who is just back from a bad hamstring injury, I don't think he ever expected to play first team rugby to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What about our first choice winger, Denis Hurley? Definitely need his pace against Biarritz. I take it we will be fielding an understrength team to face Connacht at the weekend.
    Hard to see Hayes, Horan, Wallace, Quinlan starting after such a hard game.
    Would like to see Ryan, Buckley, Holland, N Williams, O Donnell, Deasy get some game time.
    Ospreys come to Thomond the following week so likely Munster will target that one with and use it as a dress rehearsal for San Sebastian.

PS anyone see Quinlan on Against the head last night, fairly revealing about his feelings on Ackford's comments.

buck65 wrote: »
    PS anyone see Quinlan on Against the head last night, fairly revealing about his feelings on Ackford's comments.

Anyone have a Youtube link? Living in London so I don't have RTE Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Otacon wrote: »

+1.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7400.php
    The 2010 Munster Rugby Awards

13 April 2010, 9:57 am
    By Fiona Murphy

The fourth annual Munster Rugby Awards in association with The Irish Examiner, will take place on Sunday 9th May at the spectacular Thomond Park Stadium in Limerick.

Uniting the domestic and professional elements of the game, this evening is a celebration of rugby in the province at all levels.

Keith Earls, Denis Fogarty, Mick O’Driscoll and David Wallace are the nominees for the top award of Munster Player of the Year, having been chosen by their team mates on the Munster team.

Event sponsors, The Irish Examiner will be running a competition in the build up to the Awards, Munster-Rugby-Awards-Logo-Small(1).jpg
    asking readers to vote for Munster’s Player of the Year. Prizes include tickets to attend the Awards evening, as well as the chance for a class to tour Thomond Park Stadium.

All funds raised will go towards the running of and development of the Munster Rugby Academy.

Munster Rugby are offering a number of packages, with bookings being taken now on a first come first served basis, with full payment in advance guaranteeing the booking. Prices in the Gold category have remained the same as last year, with those who wish to purchase the Silver category availing of a reduction in last year’s prices.

The purpose of the awards is to recognise individual feats in the sport in Munster, as well as the achievements of clubs and schools both on and off the pitch. Eleven diverse categories will be honoured, ranging from Munster Player and Young Player of the Year through to up and coming Academy talent, women’s rugby, referees, schools and clubs.

lol at Denis Fogarty being nominated for the Player of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7400.php

lol at Denis Fogarty being nominated for the Player of the Year.

they are mostly strange choices alright

wallace has been his usal self mainly but quiet recently
    Earls has not really had a good run in the team

Fogarty has gone backwards imo, I see Varley has number 2 Hooker now

MOD has played solidly, particularly well in POC's absence last weekend

Of the choices you'd have to say MOD

I agree the selection of nominees are odd but is there a rule that they have to be Irish-qualified? Surely JdeV would get a mention.

Quinlan has been Munster's talisman this year, can't believe he's not nominated.

Also JdV has been excellent since he scored 'that' try in Perpignan.

Fogarty would be my Disappointment of the Year to be honest. With Fla's injury problems he had his chance to prove himself as a big game player but failed.

Denis Hurley would be the improvement of the year IMO.

I agree the selection of nominees are odd but is there a rule that they have to be Irish-qualified? Surely JdeV would get a mention.

funnily enough I was gonna ask that but then on reflection JdeV has played well recently but took a while to settle in, Dougie was also quiet for a while but very good in the latter half of the season

Coughlan has been great but not much starting time (newcomer of the year for sure)

the only person who springs to mind on season long performance is Quinnie

How do I keep forgetting Quinlan!?

/hangs head in shame.

ha, great minds and all that thomond

Any news on Stringer? Is he staying or leaving?

Wouldn't surprise me if he went tbh. Duncan Williams or Conor Murray are good enough to deputise for TOL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Can't view at work unfortuately, he said he was disappointed about a fellow professional dropping to that level , he always gives his best for his team and sometimes goes over the line but said in the position he plays and on Saturday especially he got plenty of stick from Northampton and he dfinitely wasn't an angel himself.
    Basically not going to let it get to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement