Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Found it!The movie is Our Betters from 1933 and the character is named Ernest.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Can anyone help me identify this movie? It was the first "anime" movie I had ever seen. It was the first "cartoon" that I saw that was not just slapstick. What I remember:
    • Was set in space, adults and children on a space ship (not Macross/Robotech))
    • One space ship has to rescue (respond to sos?) from another
    • The father says something like the ship is in danger because it is a hydrogen scoop, so it has to fly close to a star to collect fuel.
    • Characters spoke in English (I'm guessing now it was dubbed)
    • Almost certainly saw this was on RTE 1/2 in the last 80's or very early 90's

Not much else. Any help identifying would be awesome. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The couple of posts above remind me of something I saw as a child that maybe someone knows. It was an 80's animated film, blue charactors and it starts off with a child alone growing up being taught by computers in space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Advertisement

Fantastic Planet:

Thanks Johnny but It was more tech based and a bit slicker visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Noblong wrote: »
    The couple of posts above remind me of something I saw as a child that maybe someone knows. It was an 80's animated film, blue charactors and it starts off with a child alone growing up being taught by computers in space.

Space firebird 2772??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

Not sure why I need to remember this movie but it is wrecking my head :mad:

All I can remember is a pregnant wife getting beaten by her husband (and instructing her toddler to go into another room)

Other memories include him being an alcoholic (possibly using a bat to hit mailboxes?)

Watched this before 2005 - Possibly a TV movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

There was a movie I watched when I was a kid about a group of guys who set out on a road trip across the desert in what I think was somewhere like Nevada. They get attacked and become the quarry of a gang. I think it was a biker gang. The movie was made in the 70's. I can't remember the names of any of the characters

Blue850 wrote: »
    Space firebird 2772??

That's it. I dont know where I got the idea of the blue characters. Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ianhmoore

There was a movie I watched when I was a kid about a group of guys who set out on a road trip across the desert in what I think was somewhere like Nevada. They get attacked and become the quarry of a gang. I think it was a biker gang. The movie was made in the 70's. I can't remember the names of any of the characters

Possibly "The Hills Have Eyes 2"? Or maybe Savage Dawn? I just remember one scene (can't remember which movie though) where one of the guys had tried to steal a dirt bike to get away from the gang, but the bike kept getting stuck in the soft sand. He may have had a passenger on the back with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abiohazard

The only thing I remember is that there was a man who could walk through walls as long as he held on to a card or something, it was a unique card and there was a scene when he's with a kid and the card gets mixed up with other similar looking cards and they start panicking, that is ALL i remember -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

4D Man?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ginny wrote: »
    can anyone place this film or tv program, I've very little to go on. Bloke goes to visit a family, maybe old girlfriend, her sister is blind and her sister is looking after her. Their father is alive, but their mother isn't around.They have dinner and I think he stays overnight in a guest room, he talks to the blind sister, saying his old girlfriend has changed, and her sister says its because she's her minder now their mother is dead. Anyway there's an explosion or something and the bloke has to go help, oh and it's Victorian or Edwardian set. I thought it was one of the Sherlock Holmes but I can't place it? Anyone?..it's probably something really obvious, just been doing my head in!
    Still haven't figured this one out, anyone remember it?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Movie possibly late 70s early 80s about a young guy who joins a cult.Early on in the film either him or another character want to leave and the other members are chanting at him over and over "Johnny Is dead because he was born" or something very close to it.It might not have been Johnny but the name is stuck in my mind.Any ideas?

I only saw the last ten minutes or so of this movie in the late 80s so not much to go on.From what I can figure out it was about three guys who were trying to escape Soviet Russia on foot through The Artic.One guy is I think dying and another guy stabs him to death with a crowbar,possibly as a mercy killing.The two remaining guys trudge through the snow another bit and they come across armed guards who tell them theyre in Finland.The pre-end credits had a message about Soviet labour camps or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I only saw the last ten minutes or so of this movie in the late 80s so not much to go on.From what I can figure out it was about three guys who were trying to escape Soviet Russia on foot through The Artic.One guy is I think dying and another guy stabs him to death with a crowbar,possibly as a mercy killing.The two remaining guys trudge through the snow another bit and they come across armed guards who tell them theyre in Finland.The pre-end credits had a message about Soviet labour camps or something like that.

Born American?

Early eighties, and I have a vague recollection that it fairly ok

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Born American?

Early eighties, and I have a vague recollection that it fairly ok

Could be ,strong contender at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_American

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Perhaps this was a TV film or even a part of a TV series, but anyway. I think it was fairly modern, was in colour and looked modern too.

It is a scene I remember, set in a (modern-looking, white-walled) courtroom. An elderly, Jewish man (possibly wearing a Kippah [skull cap]) is giving evidence against a presumably Nazi war criminal from the concentration camps. Whenever the scene switches to the accused, I vaguely remember that he was a smug looking man, balding, with dark-ish hair and black rimmed glasses.

The lines I remember from the man giving evidence included sentences like "And that is where he took the poor people", "That is where he froze the poor people". The look of sadness, trauma and horror on the man's face sums it all up.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Perhaps this was a TV film or even a part of a TV series, but anyway. I think it was fairly modern, was in colour and looked modern too.

It is a scene I remember, set in a (modern-looking, white-walled) courtroom. An elderly, Jewish man (possibly wearing a Kippah [skull cap]) is giving evidence against a presumably Nazi war criminal from the concentration camps. Whenever the scene switches to the accused, I vaguely remember that he was a smug looking man, balding, with dark-ish hair and black rimmed glasses.

The lines I remember from the man giving evidence included sentences like "And that is where he took the poor people", "That is where he froze the poor people". The look of sadness, trauma and horror on the man's face sums it all up.

Any ideas?

The Eichman Show? (Martin Freeman, Anthony LaPaglia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Indian film. Last scene is a cricket match.

Name begins with a K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

MfMan wrote: »
    The Eichman Show? (Martin Freeman, Anthony LaPaglia)

No, I remember seeing this years ago. Good idea, but it wasn't that. Thanks, though.

This is a query about a series of films rather than one.They were I think Italian or continental at least and always starred the same two guys who had English sounding names (not their real names I'd imagine) and dubbed into English,one big guy with a beard and a smaller guy who looked a bit like David Carradine.Years ago I watched a few of them on video with a Spanish friend who said theu were very popular on the Continent.Made in the 70s/early 80s and kind of action comedies.The only one I really remember in any detail had them on a tropical island with kind of racist depictions of the islanders who I think were blacked up and a biker gang who looked like the Village People.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

darkdubh wrote: »
    This is a query about a series of films rather than one.They were I think Italian or continental at least and always starred the same two guys who had English sounding names (not their real names I'd imagine) and dubbed into English,one big guy with a beard and a smaller guy who looked a bit like David Carradine.Years ago I watched a few of them on video with a Spanish friend who said theu were very popular on the Continent.Made in the 70s/early 80s and kind of action comedies.The only one I really remember in any detail had them on a tropical island with kind of racist depictions of the islanders who I think were blacked up and a biker gang who looked like the Village People.

Maybe the Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Maybe the Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films?

Yes,thats them!Looking at this list they really churned them out.I think "Whoever Finds Friends Finds Treasure " might be the one I was talking about.

http://www.listal.com/list/bud-spencerterence-hill-best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

tampopo wrote: »
    Indian film. Last scene is a cricket match.

Name begins with a K.

Kai Po Che

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Hi all, long time reader of this site, finally decided to create an account as this has been bugging me for a while now.

It's a horror film, set on a ski resort I believe, the killer is female, there's a scene where this woman is hiding in a press in the kitchen hiding from the killer and her walkie talkie goes off so the killer finds out where she's hiding and breaks the door down and kills her.

Vague I know but it's bugging me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Niemoj wrote: »
    Hi all, long time reader of this site, finally decided to create an account as this has been bugging me for a while now.

It's a horror film, set on a ski resort I believe, the killer is female, there's a scene where this woman is hiding in a press in the kitchen hiding from the killer and her walkie talkie goes off so the killer finds out where she's hiding and breaks the door down and kills her.

Vague I know but it's bugging me.

Thanks!

Possibly:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095350/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sparky2009

Hello there, About 15/20 years ago I saw on TV a film (or could have been a once off TV show) about a man who kidnaps his childhood bully, ties him to a chair in a basement somewhere and proceeds to question/torture him. The story ends with him sealing the door to the basement from within so they're both doomed to die there. There's one candle and it's slowly burning out leaving them both in the dark.

Does anyone remember the name of it? It may have been Irish. I've been trying to track it down for literally years. It was a great example of a tense one-location drama. I'd love to see it again.

Any help welcome!!

Sparks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Riskymove wrote: »

Thanks, it seems to be similar plot alright but definitely a newer version than that.

Advertisement