Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does murder interest you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Quite the opposite. I find survival stories fascinating. The will to survive can be truly awe inspiring. From emaciated climbers crawling into a base camp with a broken leg who should have died from starvation and cold days earlier to Tom Crean embarking on epic rescue missions across blizzard blasted Antarctica to a 13 year old Jewish girl smuggling weapons for resistance fighters in Nazi occupied Poland.

Inspirational.

I'd second that....I'm fascinated by the Mao / Stalin / Hitler mega angle and the people who survived under / despite of them. It's the human story that makes me read a book. How does Anne Frank nearly survive (2 weeks away)compared with a 14 year old Hitler (ordinary childhood for the time). What drives a priest / bank robber (Stalin) to enslave a nation and create a famine that drives Solzhenitsyn to write about the Gulags. All humanity and depravity is in there. Yet no one library of books will ever explain it.

Quite the opposite. I find survival stories fascinating. The will to survive can be truly awe inspiring. From emaciated climbers crawling into a base camp with a broken leg who should have died from starvation and cold days earlier to Tom Crean embarking on epic rescue missions across blizzard blasted Antarctica to a 13 year old Jewish girl smuggling weapons for resistance fighters in Nazi occupied Poland.

Inspirational.

I don't think I suggested that I find the stories about murders inspirational!

I also like exploration and adventure stories, and the bravery demonstrated, but not sure I would limit it to those in which the adventurers survived. For example that part of the White Spider which deals with the deaths of Kurz and Hinterstoisser, or that analysis of Mallory in Mountains of the Mind, or tales of the Franklin Expedition or our own Burke and Wills...all amazing figures, all doomed to failure...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

I have a strange obsession with psychopaths / serial killers / mental illness. So does my girlfriend. We can spend a whole Sunday watching these types of documentaries. Discovery channel did a decent series called Deranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I have a strange obsession with psychopaths / serial killers / mental illness. So does my girlfriend. We can spend a whole Sunday watching these types of documentaries. Discovery channel did a decent series called Deranged.

There was a good documentary on BBC2 on Sunday about mental illness with Louis Theoreoux. Dealt with borderline, narcissistic, schizoid, psychopaths among other illnesses.

Isn't it something like only 10 percent of actual serial killers are psychopaths but they reckon at least 4 percent of the population have it.

Favourite fictional depiction of a pschopath/sociopath would have to be Don Logan (Ben Kingsley) in Sexy Beast! Really gives an idea of what it could be like to deal with a person with this kind of personality disorder. I also think the character Begbie (Robert Carlisle) in Trainspotting is a milder if you can call it that version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm fascinated by it.

I think it's important to acknowledge the extremes of what humans are capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I read quite a bit on more modern murders. I'd recommend any of Philip Carlos books. The Iceman, The Night Stalker, GasPipe etc.

Some seriously messed up individuals out there.

The book on richard kuklinski (the ice man) is fantastic

Saralee4 wrote: »
    There was a good documentary on BBC2 on Sunday about mental illness with Louis Theoreoux. Dealt with borderline, narcissistic, schizoid, psychopaths among other illnesses.

Isn't it something like only 10 percent of actual serial killers are psychopaths but they reckon at least 4 percent of the population have it.

I watched the first episode of that Louis Theroux documentary last week, I'll watch the second one tonight. Love that stuff :)

Apparently it's a combination of mental illness and poor upbringing or childhood trauma that usually leads to serial killers. There are many psychopaths who seem like normal people and are likely to have had a decent upbringing. They say psychopathy is not a bad trait to have in a cut throat business world lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Yep, I think it's very interesting. I like watching videos and reading articles about psychopaths and what makes a person a psychopath.

My sister is studying criminology so it's something we can chat about.

This. I find getting to the bottom of what makes a person a killer fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

He certainly had some creative ways of disposing of people....obviously the rats spring to mind, but that fella he tied to the tree before introducing him to a box of salt is another one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm intensely interested in murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of that Louis Theroux documentary last week, I'll watch the second one tonight. Love that stuff :)

Apparently it's a combination of mental illness and poor upbringing or childhood trauma that usually leads to serial killers. There are many psychopaths who seem like normal people and are likely to have had a decent upbringing. They say psychopathy is not a bad trait to have in a cut throat business world lol

Unless they are your boss! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I'm also intrigued by these cases.

The strangest case I've heard has to be the case of the Lunchbox Maniac Killer.

It involves a Galway teacher who was killed in the principle's office by a nun using a lunchbox.

http.;//www.irishkillers.com/LunchboxManiac

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

He certainly had some creative ways of disposing of people....obviously the rats spring to mind, but that fella he tied to the tree before introducing him to a box of salt is another one :(

Read the book also , fascinating in a weird way as to how someone could commit some of these most gruesome murders and for people to have no idea the things he was capable of. This is what gets me, trying to figure out how murderers can be so horrific on one side and totally the opposite on the other.

The mind boggles..

dilallio wrote: »
    I'm also intrigued by these cases.

The strangest case I've heard has to be the case of the Lunchbox Maniac Killer.

It involves a Galway teacher who was killed in the principle's office by a nun using a lunchbox.

http.;//www.irishkillers.com/LunchboxManiac

There was a case of an uncle who poisoned his nephew by giving him a currant bun in the office of the head of his boarding school, one of the currants was laced with poison. It's an old UK case that for the life of me I can't remember. It wasn't one of the "great" poisoners like Crean, Dr. Palmer or Graham Young anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I think too much would get me down and disturb me so no not really.

Was that claimed by him, or actually confirmed in the course of a trial?

Sometimes with some of the US ones it's hard to know. A whole industry grew up around the claims made by Henry Lee Lucas, none of which may have been true as he invented so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

I read quite a bit on more modern murders. I'd recommend any of Philip Carlos books. The Iceman, The Night Stalker, GasPipe etc.

Some seriously messed up individuals out there.

That book is great, what an interesting maniac. There is a great interview in Youtube with him and a psychologist where he is psychoanalyzed. His death is quite bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think we as humans are attracted to the macabre and the dark underbelly of humanity.
    If people are interested in this kind of stuff there's a great podcast made by This American Life called Serial, worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I love killing stuff in computer games. The more ludicrously violent the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am a bit soft or something so I cant read too many details or I would get upset and it would disturb me, the why of it all is interesting though.

Also I would never go to visit a consternation camp I just couldn't but lots of people do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

mariaalice wrote: »
    Also I would never go to visit a consternation camp I just couldn't but lots of people do.

I'd find it quite perplexing myself!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD: Please please please, no talk of the case you're not allowed talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I'd find it quite perplexing myself!

yeah, I wasnt even in a concentration camp, just the holocaust museum in berlin and even that just totally ruined my day.
    Thankfully berlin has an excellent pub crawl industry

Thankfully berlin has an excellent pub crawl industry

Which would explain the lack of concentration and all that consternation!

It was also home to Karl Grossman, who may have sold the meat of his victims on the black market during the years around WWI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gro%C3%9Fmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin, Or else it gets the hose again"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I do find it rather interesting to ponder on what could possess people who commit some of the more hair-raising, seemingly purposeless murders. But what really fascinates me is the mind of the person with a serious personality disorder such as psychopathy, which enables them to kill people simply because they're in the way, foiling some otherwise lesser scheme of theirs, even unbeknownst to them.

Richard Ramirez (The Night Stalker) is a frightening character, he did some awful things. If you watch any of the documentaries on him they'll usually show interviews with him after his arrest, the man just looks evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Not on boards you can't... apparently...

Well duh, it's an active case. You sound aggrieved by that for some reason?
    garra wrote: »
    Have you read "the wisdom of psychopaths"? Personally found it very enlightening and somewhat self-revelatory.

I haven't but now I will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No interest whatsoever. Not judging, just not my thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    MOD: Please please please, no talk of the case you're not allowed talk about.

What case? :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement