Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Novel wind turbine designs

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good thread here on solar trackers. He's having troubles with water ingress to the rams after a year.
    Panels keep getting cheaper. There's a lot to be said for just buying more panels than trying to chase 25% extra light. No moving parts means more reliable. Also no spend on motors or electronics or maintenance and no problems with them and waterproofing is easier. And there is the electricity used for the motors.

Simplest tracking system I saw was two smaller panels at 90 degrees to the main one each wired to a simple motor. One pushing clockwise, the other anti-clockwise. bit like the way some windmills had a smaller wind powered rotor to keep them into the wind.

Another system is to just change the vertical angle manually every month or so. Low tech approach that gets about half the benefits of a full 2D tracker.

Also in Ireland it's cloudy so good bit of diffuse light which might confuse a 2D tracker.

My tracker involves a DC clamp meter, UPVC window slides and two vice grips. :D
    I may upgrade to a car window regulator some day.

Some trackers use the panel output to find the hot-spot others use photo-sensors. Either way they ought to have a limited time delay to prevent unnecessary running due to cloud, brief shadows etc...

The increased output pays for the actuator draw and then some...dunno if it's worth the materials and maintenance though. Probably if off-gridding it is and/or limited space is an issue.
    Trackers generally have better ventilation of the modules so they perform better too.

I'm looking forward to seeing the annual test results of the fixed array versus the trackers versus expense on that thread. Due any week now.

Simplest tracking system I saw was two smaller panels at 90 degrees to the main one each wired to a simple motor.

Any links?

Two blades would of course be even more efficient and several single bladed designs have been used but three blades seems to be the best compromise given that more vibration means you need to spend more on the tower. Though offshore means you need to stand up to waves so perhaps we may see two blades in use there some time.

MingYang6.5-20141103112715261.jpg

Link

• Advertisement
Advertisement