Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experiences studying theology (maynooth)

• 20-02-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,

Don't post very often on boards, but am a regular reading of this and the other forums. I've tried searching both this board and on the web, but I'm finding very little 'inside' information on the study of theology in Ireland.

I'm hoping to return to college as a mature student this year and I'm looking to study theology. I am very open in my religious views, and I can't claim a unique subscription to one particular religion.

I suppose I am looking to approach theology as a kind of 'comparative religion' course. I'm interested in the study of scripture, moral development and the development and history of the church - which seem to be the main topics covered in any theology course...however I want to study these things academically, and as impartial as you can be when dealing with the subject matters.

Many of the theology / religion courses in the UK seem to approach the subject from this academic perspective. Trinity College seems to take this same approach (and yes, I have applied there).

I'm basically looking for more information on people's experiences in studying theology, but especially in Maynooth. Obviously, I have also applied there - and some members of the staff that I've spoken to have promoted the idea that they teach academic christian theology...however looking through their prospectus or the details available online, it makes me a little wary.

Of course, it is up to the student to keep an open mind, and remain impartial throughout...but the course details often smack of a certain kind of antiquity...definately not as modern or open as other colleges seem to be.

Like I said, speaking to some of the staff, they don't give off this impression. Is it just a case that their site and course details need a clever marketing exec to step in and give it a kick into this century?

If anyone has approached the study of theology in this way before, I'd be very grateful if you could share you experiences...:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

As far as I can remember from looking at the prospectus the course is based on Christian (in particular Catholic) theology. I'd say the Religions / Theology course in TCD is more suited towards what you are looking for.

I haven't attended either but just looking at the course content.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A friend of mine studied theology in St Patricks Maynooth, and I co-wrote a sociology thesis with a student priest in the seminary. The impression that I got of the theology course in Maynooth was that it was almost exclusively catholic theology (unsurprisingly considering the nature of the institution) and
    there were a lot of classes on 'Dogma' and 'revealed truths'

If you;re looking for an impartial education, I don't think St Patricks Maynooth will provide what you're looking for. (does an impartial theology course even exist?
    There is a diploma in comparative religion at the independent colleges
    (if you can stomach the tony o reilly connection)
    Indicative Course Content

* The doctrines of the major religions.
    * The similarities and differences between the major monotheistic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
    * Islam.
    * Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism.
    * Identifying one’s own religious orientation.
    * Religion in Western societies.
    * The distinguishing features of the world's religious traditions.
    * Understanding the similarities among religious traditions.
    But it looks as though you're looking for something a lot more substantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MDP

Cheers for the replies lads,

Akrasia - I also don't think an impartial theology course can exist...but I suppose the subject can be approached a little more openly...the Independent Colleges course is pretty much what I'm looking for, but as you said; it's a short evening course and I was looking for something a bit meatier :)

Maynooth offers so much in terms of the amazing campus, and the range of subjects you can pair theology with in NUI if you choose to study it as a major in Arts...but really as you both pointed out, their theology is almost exclusively focused on the catholic tradition.

If anyone else has any other experiences let me know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MDP wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies lads,

Akrasia - I also don't think an impartial theology course can exist...but I suppose the subject can be approached a little more openly...the Independent Colleges course is pretty much what I'm looking for, but as you said; it's a short evening course and I was looking for something a bit meatier :)

Maynooth offers so much in terms of the amazing campus, and the range of subjects you can pair theology with in NUI if you choose to study it as a major in Arts...but really as you both pointed out, their theology is almost exclusively focused on the catholic tradition.

If anyone else has any other experiences let me know! :D
    well if you do study theology in Maynooth you can do philosophy in the arts program, and they have a few modules on the philosophy of religion and moral philosophy. There's also a module on Aquinas which would cover a lot of religious philosophical arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

doing humanities in st patricks college in carlow, theology is mandatory in 1st year (christology in 2nd year and moral thology in 3rd year)
    i was under the false belief that theology would cover more than christianity, and was very disappointed when i found out it didnt,especially since its mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I have studied and taught theology in both a secular British University and in denominational educational institutions. I much prefer the more open non-denominational approach in the University.

Advertisement