Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

I really hope so anyways. It also said nothing about putting any info on the back of our pictures I just said to myself that I would sign them just incase. As for putting the barcode pages on top, it never said to do that either. Ara feck them, it should be fine, everything is there anyways thats the main thing!

Exactly, now we just wait and see! Good luck to the pair of us we're definitely one of the first to get them sent off I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

C@non wrote: »
    For last years application we had to include that check list.
    we also had to include the proff of funds
    and the signature on the back of the photo's that didnt matter i never did.

And for insurance i went via www.FYI.ie quite cheap and use promotions code FYITCD to get a discount!

The barcode i think is important, but that checklist is a new one, last years was similar but different.

There wasn't a single mention of any checklist on the website though or any of their emails. If my application is refused or sent back I will go absolutely nuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

For last years application we had to include that check list.
    we also had to include the proff of funds
    and the signature on the back of the photo's that didnt matter i never did.

And for insurance i went via www.FYI.ie quite cheap and use promotions code FYITCD to get a discount!

The barcode i think is important, but that checklist is a new one, last years was similar but different.

But did it say it clearly on the site that you had to include it? I can't find anywhere on the IEC Experience Canada Step-By-Step guide a checklist like the one Ciara posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

I have a feeling that the IEC application and the USIT application may have different forms and checklists!

I dont see it anywere but that checklist is scary!

unless once they receive a form they may ask eventually for proof of funds!
    but when i came to canada no one even asked me about funds or medical..
    they just wanted to see my letter or introduction and that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

I have a feeling that the IEC application and the USIT application may have different forms and checklists!

I dont see it anywere but that checklist is scary!

unless once they receive a form they may ask eventually for proof of funds!
    but when i came to canada no one even asked me about funds or medical..
    they just wanted to see my letter or introduction and that was it!
    That checklist can't be for us, it says you need proof of payment or something, while the step by step guide clearly says you don't pay until after you application is received and processed!

...Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

MJRS wrote: »
    That checklist can't be for us, it says you need proof of payment or something, while the step by step guide clearly says you don't pay until after you application is received and processed!

...Right?

could very well be the checklist from last year

The application process seems a bit more streamlined than last year, which was a bit of a mess imo

I've all my documents ready to go, just have to wait the 4 weeks now to get my Garda Cert :(

Afraid the check list is a new one..

But i have a feeling that they will ask for information as they go along!

its very messy i have to say! But i dont think there would be any harm in adding a page with a statememnt on it or what ever they may ask..
    But i think just make sure to validate and print out the barcodes and have all the forms in order as they want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

cic.gc.ca wrote:
    In order to work in Quebec, you must obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) issued by the Ministère de l’immigration et des communautés culturelles (MICC) before requesting a work permit from any Canadian visa office.

Do I have to apply for this if I'm going to Montreal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

How long do you get to use your Visa once you receive it? Is it one year from receipt of Visa? I wont be entering Canada until September 2012 at the earliest so should I still apply now for the Visa? Also, just to confirm the only thing I need to do now is get a Garda Cert, have passport uptodate and send off the application form and make no payment until notified? I don't need to get travel insurance or book flights yet?

I would be grateful if somebody could clear up these queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

What's the best place to buy Insurance for the IEC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

How long do you get to use your Visa once you receive it? Is it one year from receipt of Visa? I wont be entering Canada until September 2012 at the earliest so should I still apply now for the Visa? Also, just to confirm the only thing I need to do now is get a Garda Cert, have passport uptodate and send off the application form and make no payment until notified? I don't need to get travel insurance or book flights yet?

I would be grateful if somebody could clear up these queries.

Once you get visa you have 1 year to enter the country, you'll receive an email with a "letter of introduction"... this will have a valid to date

You wont need flights or insurance untill you enter Canada. You dont need to book a return flight, just need to prove you have enough funds to return if needed (2500cad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just literally after stumbling upon this.... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5488E.PDF

Please tell me we didn't have to include all of that? I didn't put the barcode pages on top, I didnt put my name or D.O.B. on the back of my photos although I did sign them & I didn't give any proof of funds.....aaaahhhhh :mad:

There's no mention of IEC on that checklist. Most important of all, there is a box you have to tick beside the requirement "Proof indicating you meet the requirements of the job being offered". So that checklist is obviously for people going over on a pre-organised contract job. With the IEC, you don't have a job pre-organised.

Furthermore, that list requires proof of funds. This year, there is no requirement for proof of funds before leaving for Canada. You just have to show a bank statement issued within 1 week before landing at Canadian Immigration that says that you have more than 2500 Canadian dollars in your bank account.

BARECODE??

Do we have to put the barcode page in front of all the forms or do they want it on the actual outside of the envelope??

and for the check list its not on the main requirement page..
    only when you click on the guide link it comes up.

Last year when we downloaded the form the check list page was included in that form so that had to be included.

this year it not on the main page and not on the form, and if you look at it you see a lot more options to Tick that has nothing to do with theIEC application.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Quick question about the IEC, I understand you have one year to enter the country but say for instance I receive the visa, wait 2 months and then enter Canada does this mean I can only stay for 10 months in Canada? Or is it a year from the date you enter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Demo2011

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Quick question about the IEC, I understand you have one year to enter the country but say for instance I receive the visa, wait 2 months and then enter Canada does this mean I can only stay for 10 months in Canada? Or is it a year from the date you enter ?

There is a one year activation period which starts at the time it is approved & then it is a one year visa.Meaning that if you get approval in Feb 2012 you don't need to use it until Feb 2013 if you don't want to. My first visa was approved last March but for family reasons I cannot go to Canada until Feb 2012 & that's ok. The embassy confirmed that I have until March to activate it. But whilst I am still in Ireland I am applying for my second one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Demo2011 wrote: »
    There is a one year activation period which starts at the time it is approved & then it is a one year visa.Meaning that if you get approval in Feb 2012 you don't need to use it until Feb 2013 if you don't want to. My first visa was approved last March but for family reasons I cannot go to Canada until Feb 2012 & that's ok. The embassy confirmed that I have until March to activate it. But whilst I am still in Ireland I am applying for my second one :-)

Awesome, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

jesus, this application for people who are already in canada is a nightmare.
    I am applying but have not been in ireland for `8 months in the past 3 years.
    I already have a job here, dont know if im gonna add that info in.
    As far as the company i work for are concerned, i am in a common law relationship (insurance and benefits through my job), but i dont see why this is relevant as far as the IEC is concerned...gf is already there.

so many bloody questions and the website is no help/a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

am thinking about doing this, where do I even start? do you need to have a job in canada before you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 decision

Hi Relativity,

I'm in a similar boat. Have been in Canada since Nov 2010. was in ireland for a few months before that and then was in scotland for a year before that. I got the 2011 IEC no problem even though I had been in Vancouver during '08-'09 (hence over 18 months for the 2011 app).

Do you have any news on this? Can we still apply? Really don't fancy asking my employers for an LMO given I've only been in the job for 3 months.
    retalivity wrote: »
    jesus, this application for people who are already in canada is a nightmare.
    I am applying but have not been in ireland for `8 months in the past 3 years.
    I already have a job here, dont know if im gonna add that info in.
    As far as the company i work for are concerned, i am in a common law relationship (insurance and benefits through my job), but i dont see why this is relevant as far as the IEC is concerned...gf is already there.

so many bloody questions and the website is no help/a mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

So you CAN get a second IEC even if your 1st year in Canada brings you over the 18 months habitual residency rule?

I emailed IEC and they said that you can get a second IEC "if you continue to meet the entry requirements".

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Demo2011 wrote: »

Oh thanks for that. I applied for the visa this year but I'm not going till Feb next year. So I could apply for the second year visa now even though I havent gone to Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CliodhnaB

Notice a few places are gone already.. they must count the visas as gone at stage one.... eeeek.. Waiting on my garda cert then hopefully wont have to leave Canada :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My package has been delivered but I haven't received an email from the yet. Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

re: Decision.

Im going to apply anyway for the IEC. Ive since tried filling out the form as best I can. I seem to remember some people worrying about the 18 month thing, but in the end they had no problem. Im going to apply regardless, but when i get back to canada (new years day), i will also be exploring other options like the provincial sponsorship worker program, etc. I will not be asking my company for an LMO, unless it is the ultimate last resort.

Is it just me, or are there less documents this year? and only one copy of each (bar the passport page) needs to be sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I don't mean to be an absolute pain in the arse but is there anyone here is CURRENTLY on the working holiday Visa? I have no idea how to go about getting a second year Visa because, from what I understand, I have one of two options.
    1. I apply for a seperate second Visa, regularly, through the IEC programme. This, however, I can see as a major problem considering I'd have to get a Garda Clearance Form and what-not but I'm living in Canada?
    2. I apply for a REGULAR work permit from within Canada. My problem, however, is whether or not I can even do this when I'm on a working holiday Visa. Furthermore, even if my employer/boss does apply for it there's no way I'll get accepted because I'm not working in a professional industry.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Can see a couple of people above me are in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Hi there,

I'm Canadian - but my boyfriend is currently on a working holiday visa here. I would go with applying for the second working holiday visa for now if I were you. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get the Garda Clearance but it's doable from over here. My boyfriend is having his parents go into the local station to fill out a form (they just have to bring a copy of his id) - but I've read that other people have just been able to email their station requesting a police clearance (with a copy of their id) and have the garda clearance posted over to them. I guess you'd have to call and check with your local station - my boyfriends didn't have an email. Hope that helps!
    I don't mean to be an absolute pain in the arse but is there anyone here is CURRENTLY on the working holiday Visa? I have no idea how to go about getting a second year Visa because, from what I understand, I have one of two options.
    1. I apply for a seperate second Visa, regularly, through the IEC programme. This, however, I can see as a major problem considering I'd have to get a Garda Clearance Form and what-not but I'm living in Canada?
    2. I apply for a REGULAR work permit from within Canada. My problem, however, is whether or not I can even do this when I'm on a working holiday Visa. Furthermore, even if my employer/boss does apply for it there's no way I'll get accepted because I'm not working in a professional industry.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Can see a couple of people above me are in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

lindzation wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm Canadian - but my boyfriend is currently on a working holiday visa here. I would go with applying for the second working holiday visa for now if I were you. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get the Garda Clearance but it's doable from over here. My boyfriend is having his parents go into the local station to fill out a form (they just have to bring a copy of his id) - but I've read that other people have just been able to email their station requesting a police clearance (with a copy of their id) and have the garda clearance posted over to them. I guess you'd have to call and check with your local station - my boyfriends didn't have an email. Hope that helps!

H.E.R.O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Hey guys!

Just back from London and want to get a Canadian visa ASAP. Once you've got the Garda cert, how long does it usually take for the visa to be approved?

Thanks!

H.E.R.O

:D

• Advertisement

Hey guys!

Just back from London and want to get a Canadian visa ASAP. Once you've got the Garda cert, how long does it usually take for the visa to be approved?

Thanks!

Hmm.. last year some people got it within 3 weeks - my boyfriends took 6. People who needed medical testing done took longer. It may be faster this year as they have probably worked out the kinks.

Advertisement