Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can't wait to hear how you get on, particularly with the swim. The weather is sounding very Irish! Very best of luck with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Horrible dream last night - dreamt that I was at the triathlon and the weather was horrid - rain, crazy wind and a tornado we could see just to the west of us. I also forgot my number belt so I had to borrow one from Oryx (yes, Oryx you were there) but I made sure the number belt I borrowed was black so it would go well with my trisuit :o....and then I discovered I had forgotten to fill up my water bottles. The dream never made it to the start of the race, so I haven't a clue how it ends.....

Cool and rainy the last few days so temps are dropping like crazy here, so goes the lake. I'm going with the idea that a cooler lake will make me swim faster. ;) The event is almost totally full - 750 athletes on Saturday (totally full), and 690 athletes on Sunday. 60 spots remain for Sunday.
    Wow. i thought I only appeared in Kurts dreams.

The dream is a good sign. It means youre primed and ready. :) Good luck in the race. Would love to be there to cheer you on, but hopefully you'll have my mildly nagging voice in your head same as I had yours during my IM swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck with losing the virginity this weekend Dory :) I remember losing mine like it was only yesterday............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thanks, all, for your well wishes. Oryx, I will hear you many times throughout the race....and shake my head knowing that what I am doing is a spit in the bucket compared to what you did. How the heck were you able to stay in the saddle for 112 miles!!?? It's just not natural to be hunched over in that position for that long! Not to mention the peeing thing! ;)

Swim

Another nice swim - nothing too crazy, just long strokes at a steady pace with a few short bursts of speed sprinkled in.

2,200 yards as follows:
    400 free
    200 (burst of speedy free up, easy breast back, 5 times)
    400 pull
    400 pull
    400 free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck. Your training over the last few months has been pretty impressive. The work is done. It's local to you ?

Btw, I know very little about the world of tri - but I have just finished Chrissy Wellington autobiography. Really like it - a step above the usual athletic autobiography.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck DD:) looking forward to the report!

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Best of luck. Your training over the last few months has been pretty impressive. The work is done. It's local to you ?

Btw, I know very little about the world of tri - but I have just finished Chrissy Wellington autobiography. Really like it - a step above the usual athletic autobiography.

Yes, the work is done....and I've felt it's been done for a week or more so I guess that means I am ready. :)

The tri is local - just a couple of miles from my house. It's in a gorgeous setting, so that will be my consolation prize and happy distraction whenever I start to suffer on the course. ;)

I'm not all that familiar with the world of tri either, but so many folks on these logs speak very highly of Ms. Wellington that I may have to put her book on my list of things to read.
    littlebug wrote: »
    best of luck DD:) looking forward to the report!

Thanks Littlebug!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good luck hoochiedoubledee with the small mountain of work you have put down I have every faith you will reap reward. Enjoy your first tri it only happens once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck Dory, as everyone says, enjoy your first experience (can't get clothes off quick enough, all that fumbling round, don't know where everything goes... and before you know it it's all over too quickly;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck DD. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I'm so excited for you DD. Best of luck and enjoy the day. It will be over before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is it tomorrow or sunday you are racing?

At worst I will expect to see the usual age grade prize on the mantlepiece by the end of the day.

Usually I would tell newbies to go easy on the swim but I think the opposite in your case - line up at the front of the swim, don't be letting overconfident poor male swimmers push out ahead of you and off you go as fast as you can (it will great to see swim distances in metres in your log for a change)

Yards should only be used in golf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck DD, and more importantly, have a blast!!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck DD

Awww shucks everyone....:o....thanks!!!! :D
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Best of luck Dory, as everyone says, enjoy your first experience (can't get clothes off quick enough, all that fumbling round, don't know where everything goes... and before you know it it's all over too quickly;))

As long as I get that post-race glow, I don't care how prematurely it's over! ;)
    catweazle wrote: »
    Is it tomorrow or sunday you are racing?

At worst I will expect to see the usual age grade prize on the mantlepiece by the end of the day.

Usually I would tell newbies to go easy on the swim but I think the opposite in your case - line up at the front of the swim, don't be letting overconfident poor male swimmers push out ahead of you and off you go as fast as you can (it will great to see swim distances in metres in your log for a change)

Yards should only be used in golf

Race is Sunday....and while I'd love nothing more than to kick some old lady @ss and leave them all in the dust, this is one time when I am not expecting an age grade prize. The bike just isn't up to snuff against these fit gals in lycra. My goal honestly is based on what you and several others have suggested - to enjoy it. This will be my first. I will line up at the front of my swim wave (I'm in the 5th wave to start) and try to have a solid swim while pacing smartly. I'll do my absolute best on the bike, then hope to have enough left in the tank for the very hilly 5k run. We can talk prizes next time around perhaps (but I'll let you know if a miracle happens and I pull one out from nowhere). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best of luck Dory, you only have one first tri, enjoy the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    ... enjoy your first experience (can't get clothes off quick enough, all that fumbling round, don't know where everything goes... and before you know it it's all over too quickly;))

Yeah, sounds like my first time too .... oh .... sorry, you meant a tri ...

BennyMul wrote: »
    Best of luck Dory, you only have one first tri, enjoy the day

I am going to enjoy it!! Thank you!! :)
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds like my first time too .... oh .... sorry, you meant a tri ...

Seems to be quite common around here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best of luck on Sunday DD - I'm currently raising a glass of Weiss Beer to your good health and a great race. I'm sure you'll do great and I'm setting aside some time Sunday evening to sit down and read your minimum 3,000 word race report.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday DD - I'm currently raising a glass of Weiss Beer to your good health and a great race. I'm sure you'll do great and I'm setting aside some time Sunday evening to sit down and read your minimum 3,000 word race report.

With the 5 hour difference in time, I better get cracking on the novella as soon as I cross the finish line! ;) Cheers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck DD, i hope your dream means that you have double and triple checked everything and all is in order...nothing you can do about the weather but heres hoping its the best it can be for your first tri so that it can be the most enjoyable event for you.....you ahve worked so hard ans so tirelessly so Enjoy and saviour!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck DD, i hope your dream means that you have double and triple checked everything and all is in order...nothing you can do about the weather but heres hoping its the best it can be for your first tri so that it can be the most enjoyable event for you.....you ahve worked so hard ans so tirelessly so Enjoy and saviour!!:D

I haven't double or triple checked anything yet, but I will later today. The weather here at the moment is gorgeous! Low 80s and no humidity. Wetsuits were allowed this morning so that means lake temp was below 78. I'm still not going to bother with a wetsuit, and I am mixed about that, but I've made my decision and I will stick to it.

Reverse Tri

I decided I needed a little bit of all of it today so I settled on doing a reverse tri.....in my tri suit. I've never ran in my tri suit so I thought this might be a good idea. 2 miles of easy jogging in the field was first up - loved running without my Garmin. 5 low resistance miles on the trainer was next - all at approximately 13 to 14 mph. And 1,000 absolutely delightful yards in the pool swimming freestyle and breast stroke rounded out the session.

I'll relax a bit today with my two house cats, then attend a free "transition" clinic this afternoon. I haven't a clue about transitions so I figure I might as well take advantage of this opportunity. Packet pickup is after the clinic, then our town is having a spaghetti dinner for the athletes with 6 time IronMan world champ Dave Scott (who raced today and will race tomorrow) as the speaker. Should be fun!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you have a great first time. Looking forward to hearing all about it :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go Dory.. Go Dory.. Go Dory.. :)

:D
    My feet hurt cuz I kicked so much @ss today. ;)
    Report to follow......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Age Group win. Quelle surprise.

Well done DD. looking forward to the report.

Thanks BTH. Just got my splits and overall placing so the report is being worked on now. I need to make sure BeepBeep has plenty of time to read it before his bedtime. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice work. Well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Right - I'm off now to purchase a nice Rioja and some nibbles - I'll be back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Have you ever done a race without winning your age grade :D

Well done although it was fairly obvious you would go well with all the training - Will I see a sub 23 minute run on this report, I should hope so ;)

Advertisement