Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Being in contract for something doesn't translate into paying for something. It won't happen medium term. FR will use 200 gates or buses when required.

Im not saying it will happen, I was saying that FR are willing to pay for it if needs be as they are badgering on at DAA to get it done as that was what was originally planned, I cant see the cost being much extra, if anything, for an additional 50ft of building anyways

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

VG31 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a prefab like building that was attached to Pier D that was demolished a year or two ago?

Yes, it was referred to as "The Stables" due to the noise of the wooden floors. Horrible boarding area. Thank God it is gone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenger wrote: »
    Yes, it was referred to as "The Stables" due to the noise of the wooden floors. Horrible boarding area. Thank God it is gone.

Last time I was there there were still signs for its gates pointing to a locked door - not one that opened out to nothing though (unfortunate for stopping any Laurel & Hardy style comedy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

That TFL/Stables/Dump must be gone near 4 years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Anyone know the reason for the new 308T stand?

2a9a151.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There was a BA Embraer (for LCY) sitting there the other day, with another one right behind it. Looked great :D

Aphex wrote: »
    Anyone know the reason for the new 308T stand?

2a9a151.jpg

Stands for first rotation aircraft, first departure aircraft will use these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Stands for first rotation aircraft, first departure aircraft will use these.

Ahh I see, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Lockheed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That is a scandal.

Is it really?

Do explain.

Nim wrote: »
    Is it really?

Do explain.
    Should be self-evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should be self-evident.

How? Is expansion a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Yeah, he has a point. They should be using 16/34 for overflow if only we had an 18minthsaslavel led government...

Should be self-evident.

So, forgive me. I'm just not seeing the scandal.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    How? Is expansion a bad thing?
    site paid for(or there for free), design already done, additional floors being added to an existing design. the expense of designing a mutli-storey and putting in the infrastructure was already borne. additional 1400 spaces should not be more than a 7 digit figure.

man98 wrote: »
    Yeah, he has a point. They should be using 16/34 for overflow if only we had an 18minthsaslavel led government...

Lets rein it in a little.

He has a point about the cost of an extension (which like the M50 should have been done 4 years ago)
    As a corollary, not everyone will be outraged about the cost, so argue your point logically and politely whatever side you are on regarding this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

site paid for(or there for free), design already done, additional floors being added to an existing design. the expense of designing a mutli-storey and putting in the infrastructure was already borne. additional 1400 spaces should not be more than a 7 digit figure.

€10,000 a space seems at the bottom end of the industry standards scale of €10-/14K (and less than the original cost of the existing spaces @ €12k) - which seem to be for new builds, and not factoring in any additional costs of having to work around an already operating car park - which may limit the amount of work or times at which work can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

€10,000 a space seems at the bottom end of the industry standards scale of €10-/14K
    Just to put a source on that:
    €10,000 a space, spread over 360 days, is about €28 a day for one year.

To put a context on that, the maximum daily charge for short-term parking at Dublin Airport is €40.

I suspect they'll recoup the investment pretty quickly.

€10,000 a space? That's one expensive car park! I'm sure as the poster above pointed out they will make it back.

• Advertisement

€10,000 a space, spread over 360 days, is about €28 a day for one year.

.........To put a context on that, the maximum daily charge for short-term parking at Dublin Airport is €40.[/URL]

I suspect they'll recoup the investment pretty quickly.
    Looks like monopolised carparking is just as profitable as aircraft leasing and parts!!!

buildcost for entire project in not valid. It is a project that was paused at a particular storey and then continued later.
    when will the make it back quickly? 2nd week Jan thru start of June and 2nd week september through to middle of December or is it all business travellers? If so the captains of Irish industry will be spending more time abroad than in the country?
    Who is expecting 100% occupancy on upper floors of the multi-storey.
    Who expects the demand to come when most demand originating in Ireland for business flight locations is already satisfied.
    If they provided info on a new pricing model for parking at the same time I'd be more positive. I know that my company wouldn't pay for premium parking spaces when I was travelling out of Dublin on business.

Was a passenger in a car last November dropping someone to Dublin for a flight to Dubai, short term car park was just short of Full, took us a while to find a space. If it was empty they wouldnt expand it. That's kinda obvious. I think its good, this country is fixated on waiting until something is beyond its Max until finding a solution to the problem. Forward planning is what's needed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They'll fill that no problem. From March until October the T2 multi story is packed solid and they have to send the excess to block c at t1. They've added a T2 plus car park on part of the old EI HOB that is only temporary and cost over half a million but they expect to make a profit on it in its short life.

They didn't build the full whack of the T2 multi story in 2010 as they were unsure when the extra capacity would be required. It was built in such a way though as to allow easy enough expansion when required and now is that time as pax numbers rise dramatically. Don't underestimate how many people will pay a premium in order to park in front of the building and not have to drag themselves and luggage onto a bus.

If there's one thing the daa know and do well it's car parks. Actually make that 2,advertising is the other.

Must be hard on the construction workers however:
    17191314506_779d2382dd.jpgGymnastic security point by tearbringer, on Flickr

here is an unarguable example of poor planning. Who outside the DAA is to blame?

here is an unarguable example of poor planning. Who outside the DAA is to blame?
    Why the witch hunt outside the DAA?

As pointed out above, this was forward planned but not implemented. It is now being implemented at a cost that will be recoverable within 12-18 months.

The planning permission granted in 2009 and extended until 2019 is for a 6 storey car park + an 11 storey hotel.

fc56303d8f21b18117510cc2eef64136.png

What were you saying about planning?

The car park extension is badly needed and planned from the beginning. If anything, it should have happened sooner. The cost, well, the cost has been prooved to be reasonable. And none of your claims make any sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carnacalla wrote: »
    €10,000 a space? That's one expensive car park! I'm sure as the poster above pointed out they will make it back.
    Did you read all the posts? Its at the low end of construction costs

• Advertisement

No it is not. as all the preparation has already been done and infrastructure is in place. That extension should not be an 8 figure build project.

Advertisement