Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming health expenses for 2013

• 04-02-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Do I need to wait for my P60 for 2013 to issue before I can claim health expenses on the Revenue on line site ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

ChewyLewy wrote: »
    Do I need to wait for my P60 for 2013 to issue before I can claim health expenses on the Revenue on line site ?

Your details may already be up on the system as your employer files a p35 with Revenue which will contain all the details of your P60. They have until mid February to do this.
    If the details aren't there and you don't have your p60, it's advisable to wait to make your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I went to a doctor last year cost €45 and got a prescription for €17.28. Do I just claim for a total of €62.28 online? Is it that easy?

My claim for this year will be bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I went to a doctor last year cost €45 and got a prescription for €17.28. Do I just claim for a total of €62.28 online? Is it that easy?

My claim for this year will be bigger.

Yes, it's that easy , keep the receipts in case it is ever checked

Assume medical insurance didn't cover any of it ?

I have Vhi Company Plan Extra which I'm pretty sure does not cover G.P. or medicines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Assuming you have paid tax and the amount is correct, the refund will be a tax credit of

€62 @ 20% = €12.40 refund. Just in case you might be expecting more.

• Advertisement

I think I may still be due some money back for my VHI. My company pays it in full (I pay BIK) and I have had a Medical Insurance Relief on my Tax Credit Cert over the last few years but I think I might be due a small bit.

Can I claim this separately? I need to sit down and work out a few figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I think I may still be due some money back for my VHI. My company pays it in full (I pay BIK) and I have had a Medical Insurance Relief on my Tax Credit Cert over the last few years but I think I might be due a small bit.

Can I claim this separately? I need to sit down and work out a few figures.

You can check the medical insurance relief is correct for the last 4 years by obtaining a letter from your employer stating how much they paid for you each year and forwarding the letter to Revenue to double check their records.

Re the health expenses themselves, you may claim tax relief on the amount of valid health expenses that were not covered by your health insurance.

How does Eform 12 come into this? Just got an e-mail from revenue. Should I use this or do it the old way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

How does Eform 12 come into this? Just got an e-mail from revenue. Should I use this or do it the old way?

Easiest way is to claim it on payeanytime online

"whole euro amounts only for all monetary fields" - do i round up or round down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

"whole euro amounts only for all monetary fields" - do i round up or round down?

Really? It's 20c, I don't think anyone's going to get bent out of shape over it...

I have to claim for €62 or €63 -personally I think if the coins amount as such is 49 cent or less I go with lower euro amount or 50 cent or more I go with higher. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I have to claim for €62 or €63 -personally I think if the coins amount as such is 49 cent or less I go with lower euro amount or 50 cent or more I go with higher. Am I correct?

AFAIK you are always entitled to round up, if there's to be rounding because Revenue are choosing not to set it up to accommodate pennies, then they can't short change the customer, so you're entitled to round up.

"Round down your income to the nearest Euro, and
    round up your credits, allowances, reliefs, expenses and tax paid to the nearest Euro - it’s to your benefit. Where .00 is not shown,cents should be entered."

This is from form 12 so I'll go with this. Thanks Barney spot on.

Advertisement