Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible for a night-owl to change back to normal shut-eye hours?

Options
  • 01-12-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've been a night-owl for many years and rarely switch off my light before 1am and I am always up at 7.15. As I am getting older I am finding it is taking it's toll. I can be quite tired throughout the day. It seems no matter what I do, I'm still awake at 1-1.30am plus. Has anyone there made the transition successfully back to normal shut-eye hours? If so, how? and how long does it take? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Get up an hour earlier, your body will be long craving for sleep. Go to bed at 11, turn lights off and just lie there. It may take a few nights to reboot the system but it will work. Oh, and avoid napping during the day until you get your pattern sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jennywhite

Thanks for the feedback, the advice has been very helpful, so far so good. Getting there! Thank you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Custom Painting

I've been doing night shifts for couple of years and managed to switch back pretty quickly. Its important not to use your computer or mobile phone before going to bed as a blue light coming out of it is telling your body that it is a day time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Cut out caffeine - Coffee/Tea/Soft drinks coupled with sugar content you;ll be wired for hours.
    - I used to drink 10+ coffees a day with two sugars per cup. Very unhealthy I know, I would be awake at 3 am some nights (when i was unemployed and still living at home). If I have any caffeine after 4pm i'll have a hard time getting down for 11pm.

Remove electronics from bedroom - TV/Tablets/Radio - All stimulation and won;t help you sleep. Having these devices nearby, being bombarded with messages (flashing lights & noise) overloads your system, send the kill command to electronics at least 30 mins before bed time.

It might seem lame, but I can't stress how important a schedule/routine/time table whatever you want to call it..

Some ideas
    Go for a brisk walk for 30mins between 20:30 - 21:00
    When back from walk yourself ready for the next day, polish shoes, iron clothes if you have too, put out the rubbish, misc. stuff.
    Then if you really need to watch tv/surf net/etc. you've earned it. electronics until 10:30 send the kill command Phone/Tablet/TV/Radio off.

Have a nice hot shower brush teeth etc.. it;ll make you nice and cozy ready for bed right after.

Oh and a chart about paint colours in bedrooms maybe try paint your room/declutter room too.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

damn OP 2014.. good bump custom painting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

Was a reading a japanese blog online that teaches you how to control your breathing and use of fingers and needles to induce instant sleep. Just do a google search and see what google spit out.

Advertisement