Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FETAC Level 6 difficulty?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 4:17pm

Hey I'm thinking of doing a FETAC Level 6 Technology course. I've never done any courses before so I was wondering how difficult "Level 6" is! Would it be as arduous as a Honours Leaving Cert subject or a Pass subject? The Leaving Cert is the only frame of reference I have!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Level 6 isn't far off the first year of a university course. Far more difficult than the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

You most likely need to do a level 5 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

It would depend on the subject/course and your interest in the subject.

If you choose a subject that you are really interested in, then you should enjoy learning.
    Unlike the leaving cert, there may not be as many modules of learning and therefore it would be more concentrated learning.

You should choose a learning path, subjects that would lead to employment in a field you want to work in or a subject you want to continue to learn in further or high education.

You may want to try and level 5 first but you do not have to do a level 5 before you apply for am level 6.

The leaving cert on the NFQ would be considered a minor level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

I have done three level 6 modules and I didn't think there was much difference between them and level 5 courses. And they were much easier than university modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

It really depends on the subject and those teaching it. I flew through a level 8 and only found the odd assignment difficult, when I did a level 6 which included modules similar to those I had studied in university (supposed to be more basic) I found it quite difficult. My issue was that the assignment requirements/briefs were pretty vague compared to college where they are very specific, and the teachers (I'm sure there's a proper term?) didn't offer much clarification and seemed more confused than the students if I'm honest. I managed to get distinctions so obviously it wasn't a huge issue that impacted upon my results but I did find that it wasn't as rigid as leaving cert or university. Then again a more scientific based subject may not run into those kind of issues. Good luck with it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Tasden wrote: »
    My issue was that the assignment requirements/briefs were pretty vague compared to college where they are very specific, and the teachers (I'm sure there's a proper term?) didn't offer much clarification and seemed more confused than the students if I'm honest.

I'm doing a level 6 this year and I can defo agree with this. The teachers seems very confused and clueless when it comes to the work involved..

In regards to the assignments, I have spent lots of time this year actually trying to figure out what exactly they were looking for as the wording/instructions were all over the place.. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

There is a lot of assignments with any FETAC course which differs from college. It depends what you're doing the course in, if it something you are good at/enjoy then it shouldn't be too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

I am doing a level 6 module in supervisory management and the main problem is not actually know what is being asked for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

nickys wrote: »
    I am doing a level 6 module in supervisory management and the main problem is not actually know what is being asked for...

Yep it seems thats the problem most people have, the vagueness of assignments and lack of clarity in general on whats being asked/expected

In saying that, I find the assignments quite complex especially in business management.. Defo not as easy as level 5 anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Level 6 is tough, but the shock I got when I started level 8. The spike in difficulty is incredible. That was just my experience though, I did a one year level 5 and a one year level 6, to obtain entry into a level 8 at DIT, and I was in waaaaay over my head.

You mean the level 8 was difficult?

My brother is doing a level 7 atm and he can't believe it's so easy....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

I am struggling tbh in the level 6

Advertisement