Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

automation course

• 28-02-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi guys,
    I am thinking of doin an Industrial Automation course.It's for maintaince technician roles.I am a electrician by trade and have ordinary degree from dit.The course seems to be very practical and has sections of work placements in it..Has any one done similar course it's a level six or does any one no how sought after Automation technician s are in industry.Any help is appreciated as trying to decide on course.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You could ask the course provider about how previous classes have gotten on employment wise.

You could also check on the job sites (Irishjobs.ie, jobs.ie, jobsireland.ie etc) to see any postings for Auto Techs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pablo don

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You could ask the course provider about how previous classes have gotten on employment wise.

You could also check on the job sites (Irishjobs.ie, jobs.ie, jobsireland.ie etc) to see any postings for Auto Techs.

Thank s for reply I have meet with lectures and ran through course.I am just lookin for advice as I feel lectures tell you what you want to hear to sell the course.As I getting older would like to do something that would lead to job.As previously said done level seven yet employe rd say either to qualified or don't have enough experience.thanks for advice.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

pablo don wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am thinking of doin an Industrial Automation course.It's for maintaince technician roles.I am a electrician by trade and have ordinary degree from dit.The course seems to be very practical and has sections of work placements in it..Has any one done similar course it's a level six or does any one no how sought after Automation technician s are in industry.Any help is appreciated as trying to decide on course.
    Thanks.

I am in a similar position but I'm based in Australia. I am an electrician with an ordinary degree in electronics. I'm currently doing an Advanced diploma in Industrial Automation course. I'm not sure what level that translates to. This is the course:

http://www.eit.edu.au/advanced-diploma-industrial-automation-4

I'm not sure what sort of jobs I will be able to apply for but the course covers a very broad range so I'm hopeful that I can use it to further my career. Good luck with it if you decide to do it and feel free to PM if you want to know anything or if find out any more info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Thank s for reply I have meet with lectures and ran through course.I am just lookin for advice as I feel lectures tell you what you want to hear to sell the course.As I getting older would like to do something that would lead to job.As previously said done level seven yet employe rd say either to qualified or don't have enough experience.thanks for advice.

Did you ask them about employment figures of past grads?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did you ask them about employment figures of past grads?

Yes I did they stated majority of grads go on short-term contracts with most of the companies the do placements with.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    I am in a similar position but I'm based in Australia. I am an electrician with an ordinary degree in electronics. I'm currently doing an Advanced diploma in Industrial Automation course. I'm not sure what level that translates to. This i

I'm not sure what sort of jobs I will be able to apply for but the course covers a very broad range so I'm hopeful that I can use it to further my career. Good luck with it if you decide to do it and feel free to PM if you want to know anything or if find out any more info.

Hi Aido ,Yeah courses look similar.The Lectures on the course said my course is based at the pharmaceutical and petroleum companies,mainly pharma ones in Ireland as the have lack of people with electro-mechanical skills.
    How's OZ goin Spent some time in Perth if course don't happen was thinking of maybe heading back down but heard its slowed down.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Hi Aido ,Yeah courses look similar.The Lectures on the course said my course is based at the pharmaceutical and petroleum companies,mainly pharma ones in Ireland as the have lack of people with electro-mechanical skills.
    How's OZ goin Spent some time in Perth if course don't happen was thinking of maybe heading back down but heard its slowed down.

Hi Pablo. It's good to know there is a shortage of people in that area in Ireland if I decide to move home. I'm based a couple of hours from Perth and work is a little quiet around here so I am doing fifo for now. Seems to be a bit of work coming up in Perth this year but don't really keep track of it because I don't live in the city. Mining is slowing down but there is still a bit of work for electricians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Imjustme

I did that course about 20 years ago. Its a great course and I would highly recommend it. Its very much like a hands on Mechatronic course. I really cant express how many doors it will open for anyone that takes it. It covers both mechanical and electrical and as I recall the electrical guys found the mechanical aspect difficult and visa versa. I did a degree in Mechatronics years later and found it pretty easy because of the industrial automation course I did in FAS in Athlone. It is one of the best courses I ever did and finding a job after it will be easy as long as you are willing to work shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 still queueing

I did the Athlone course too.
    Its an excellent course. I finished it about 2 years ago.
    Most lads are working that did the course.
    A lot of guys who do the level 7 mechatronics in IT Sligo try to get on to this course because its much better as far as hands on skills are concerned.
    I'd go as far as saying that the IT Sligo Mechatronics course is pants.

Again the course in Athlone ...top class well worth doing.

Advertisement