Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Difference between full time Postgrad in class or Hibernia.

Options
  • 15-08-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

I got my Irish results yesterday and I got a good grade :D

My problem is everywhere I have looked the Postgrad course for classroom study mentions it starts Feb 2013 and ends 2014 so not sure if are going to decide soon if they'll have a course in early 2014 or not.

I really wanted classroom study but now unsure if I should apply for Hibernian in Feb 2014 as I don't really want to wait another year.

There are good & bad parts to both courses but I think I would find it better in a classroom. I want to go to either Froebel or Marino.

Example quote from Mary I "Hello and thank you for your question, we still have no information at present on the Post Grad in Education, but once it is sanctioned it will be advertised in the national papers and on our website."

Has anyone any ideas when the department of Education will decide or comments on the 2 courses. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

shellita wrote: »
    Hi All,

I got my Irish results yesterday and I got a good grade :D

My problem is everywhere I have looked the Postgrad course for classroom study mentions it starts Feb 2013 and ends 2014 so not sure if are going to decide soon if they'll have a course in early 2014 or not.

I really wanted classroom study but now unsure if I should apply for Hibernian in Feb 2014 as I don't really want to wait another year.

There are good & bad parts to both courses but I think I would find it better in a classroom. I want to go to either Froebel or Marino.

Example quote from Mary I "Hello and thank you for your question, we still have no information at present on the Post Grad in Education, but once it is sanctioned it will be advertised in the national papers and on our website."

Has anyone any ideas when the department of Education will decide or comments on the 2 courses. Thanks

As far as I remember, this is the way it has always operated. The primary teacher training colleges always seem to wait for sanctioning by the Department of Education. Usually, the go-ahead is given in December, then interviews in January and the course begins in February. However, Hibernia accept applications all year round for one of two starting dates because they are a private college and don't need Department sanction.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Still no dates yet anywhere, does anyone have any inside information on this?

Also what are your opinions on the choice between classroom and Hibernian courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FCGIT13

Am I right in saying that the Hibernia course is a two year course while the classroom courses for example in St. Patricks drumcondra are 18 months?

FCGIT13 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the Hibernia course is a two year course while the classroom courses for example in St. Patricks drumcondra are 18 months?

They are both a 2 year course from 2014 onwards. Meaning the price will go up for both.

Int he last couple of days I have spoken to a few girls doing Hibernian and they said you have a few weeks in the gaeltacht then supervsion training, then placement in a school and these repeat so either way they said you can not work full time after 6 months into the Hibernian course. Also theres a big assignment/project.

So it looks like I will not be working full time which ever I get.
    Im just waiting for the government to release the dates for the college course and saving at the moment.

Another difference is Hibernian is the full amount up front where as the college/classroom the cost is split over each year

Hi all,

I only found out last night that the course (St.Pats/Marino/Froebel part of NUI Maynooth) is now an 18 month course in Feb 2014 and then a 24 month course in Sept 2014. they released the info Mon 11 Nov but just found out.

The dates for applications are 2 Dec and interviews 19/20 Dec. OMG that means 2 weeks to apply and 4 weeks till interview. I feel sick.

Does anyone know how many places each school have?
    I was always going to apply to Froebel but now im not sure?

Also does anyone know exactly how many hours the course is per week?
    Is it possible to do a part time job while doing the course?

• Advertisement

I have found the No. of Places (2013):
    St. Pat’s Drumcondra (60), Colaiste Mhuire Marino (50), Froebel (30)

Im trying to decide my order of preference, Im thinking
    (1) Marino, (2) Froebel, (3) Pats

Anyone else deciding?

Sending in my application today still not sure, Im now

(1) Froebel, (2) Marino, (3) Pats

so hard to know which is best. Anyone else deciding

Hi if anyone has any tips or suggestion for the interview for the postgrad in primary teahing I would really appreciate it.

Im very nervous now, 1 week to my interview.

Do they ask questions about teaching as ghaeilge? Oris the Irish part like the oral LC?

cOuld anyone give some general advice on the primary curriculum, or is there something I should know
    Thanks!

Found this for the curriculum
    http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/Curriculum/Intro_Eng.pdf

If you want to have a read :)

I have been told we are given a piece to read in the interview and asked questions on it, is this true?
    Could someone who has done this interview please advise

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nemmy

Does anybody know when we apply for the new 2 year postgrad course beginning Sep 2014?

Thanks

• Advertisement

So the English part of the Interview went well but the Irish didn't.

After all the grinds/studying, my nerves got the better of me.
    It was very weird as I have been learning for the LC for 2 years so I gave my address and D.O.B as they are compulsory in the Bealtrail, but the people in the interview laughed and made a joke of it, TBH it made me feel worse and I just couldn't think. It was so awkward, I came out crying. Its not their fault they were lovely it just threw me.
    I was putting way too much pressure on myself and I just freaked out.

Sin é. At least I tried, nothing else I can do now but wait, really hope I get a place.
    They do give you a piece to read at the end of the Irish interview but no questions on it.

Nemmy I think you will be applying around May from what I have heard.

Praying I get a place, I want it more then anything and the more I talk to people and the more I read up on it I want a college place.

I know it'd suit me more than Hibernia

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banc

Can anyone provide information on the course beginning in Sept 2014? Thanks!

Didn't get a place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 becm

So sorry to hear that Shellita - I was gunning for you!!

Did the letters arrive yet? I want to know how i got on in each of the interviews but i don't know that i can take it at the minute given the disappointment.:(

I know how you feel I was in bits yesterday. I have never wanted anything so much!

I don't even know how I can improve for the next round, other than going to the Gaeltacht and spending time in a school.

No letter but I did get this email :
    "Details of your interview results will be posted to you shortly"

• Registered Users Posts: 37 becm

It's heartbreaking. I cried in work yesterday, all the way home and pretty much most of the evening. It's so tough. That's why I don't know whether I want to read the contents of the letter when it does arrive - I feel it will be like getting kicked when I'm already down.

Going to look at Hibernia now but I had really wanted classroom contact and never mind the up front fees for it. Had been thinking of the UK too but I don't want to come back and have the Irish etc to pass and the Religious Cert to get.

Deflated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amnew

I'm pretty sure the course in September will be a Masters.

Im the same becm, so heartbroken.

what can we do but keep trying. If its what we really want then we have no choice..

Amnew, is there any word on the course yet for Sept? What is the difference with it being called a Masters? other then the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It's the exact same qualification just with the added fun of a dissertation. A lot of professions are changing to level 9 certification rather than level 8 now; engineering, architecture, teaching etc. It is a bit of a money spinner.

• Advertisement

thanks for that Mardy Bum, lots of fun so

this will be my third year studying Irish (2 years doing the LC) and im still not in college aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I don't know if it's right to post this here, but since some of you have experienced the interviews, would it be beneficial meeting up to practice irish and maybe work through the interview?

I'm learning irish at conradh na gaeilge and while it's excellent, I'm scared I won't be ready for the interviews by the summer. I really feel I only have one shot at this so would really love to up my irish!

I'd be willing to meet up for some comhrá, my Irish isn't great but Im able to chat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Samantha4

hi there, I have worked as an examiner for Pats, and I would strongly advise Pats over Hibernia, based on experience of both. Re. the Irish interview, one needs to get an A or a B to get in to the postgrad. Therefore, you need to be fluent in Irish, and having leaving certificate Irish wouldn't cut the mustard, to be honest. Either will learning off lots of material by heart. I have helped numerous people get a place, after leaving there, and they took time off work, constantly working on their Irish to get through the hoops at the interview.

The best way to prepare is to read, read, read, listen, listen, listen, write, write, write, grammar, grammar, grammar - and culture, culture culture.

Go n-éirí go geal libh go léir!

Keep it up, Shellita, if it is really what you want! It's not rocket science - it can be done, but needs the right approach.
    Go n-éirí leat!

Im trying to improve but its very hard what with working full time, volunteering, im doing a course (not Irish) and Irish classes. I don't have any money left, I was getting grinds the last 2 years but the person moved away and they were only charging 20 an hour, some now want 40.

I won't give up though as I know I want it ;)
    Go raibh mhaith agat!

hi, I know it's difficult, but keep at it! It's unbelievable how much people can do themselves - in fact a good tutor would show you how to do that, so you can get best value for your lessons! A good tutor will tell you it is POINTLESS coming to a class and doing no work, it's a waste of time, and I never met people unless I was sure that they had done LOADS in between. You could take a lesson at the start of your 'campaign' and then a few at the end. The main thing is to do it every day, or every 2nd day, and even if it is just for 20 minutes, you have to concentrate so much that you have improved at the end.

Concentration is the key. You can use your time also by depending not just on written texts, but using radio na gaeltachta ipods, etc. Technology is a great tool and should be used. You can record yourself speaking, listening back to what you are saying. The possibilities are endless, it's about using the time in a 100% concentrated fashion. It can be done, and it's about LEARNING HOW TO LEARN. There are methods and ways that help you to do this, it's the skill you should concentrate on in tandem with your Irish. You may know this already, so don't mean to preach in any way, just to help you!
    Go n-éirí leat!

I got into Froebel on my second attempt ;) delighted !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 britneyfan250

Hi what questions were you asked for the English and irish interviews? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement