Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weight Loss, Operation Transformation etc.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 StoryChief87

I was 3 stone overweight 3 years ago and lost it in 5 months using will power, it did take 3 attempts before I stuck with it but I managed to keep the weight off since. If you work at it the weight comes off fast in the start, I see a lot of people walking but they keep eating too much so don't lose much weight, I heard someone say that losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise.

You've hit the nail on the head. The common phrase is 80/20 nutrition and excercise. You can walk as many miles a week as you like but if you are eating crap, nothing will change. Nobody puts fast food into their petrol tanks and expect it to function so why put it in our bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I haven't watched tonight's episode yet but I'd imagine they are individual portions considering they are tailored of each contestant. I will look further into it and get back to you tomorrow. If anyone is worried about portion size in their diet the best tip I can give is get a food scale. You can get one for cheap. It'll make sure you're getting one portion as per side of any packet, container etc 😃

No those ones are definite. The recipe for the frittata said it was for 2 and the fish pasta made a huge portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 StoryChief87

gubbie wrote: »
    No those ones are definite. The recipe for the frittata said it was for 2 and the fish pasta made a huge portion.

That's no use to the contestants. Especially in Ireland where we struggle with portion control id of thought they'd of scaled it down, considering the show and its methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Former Biggest Loser contestant tells all :

http://nypost.com/2015/01/18/contestant-reveals-the-brutal-secrets-of-the-biggest-loser/

Thing is I do find her a wee bit naive and not entirely trustworthy. It's pretty hard to believe she didn't watch the show before going on it. Also she looks a million times better now than when she started so not sure why she's embarrassed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have you a link to the recipe? I can't find it?

• Advertisement

Have you a link to the recipe? I can't find it?

Click me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Did anyone try the pancake for breakfast?
    I tried it, brown gloupy mess!!!
    wasn't very satisfying, can't believe only one was the portion size.

I did but there's no 'fish pasta' or anything that includes fish and pasta.

I did but there's no 'fish pasta' or anything that includes fish and pasta.

Ah sorry, its actually with spaghetti but I don't like spaghetti so I did it with pasta

http://www.rte.ie/ot/recipes/white-fish-with-lemon-cream-2/

Ah sorry, its actually with spaghetti but I don't like spaghetti so I did it with pasta

http://www.rte.ie/ot/recipes/white-fish-with-lemon-cream-2/

That's 300g of fish and 100g of spaghetti though. Two portions from that is fair enough. It's bulked with an onion and two peppers, which would be low-cal, and the 535 calories for each of the two portions would be right.

Portion sizes are only an issue where someone has a big portion that has massive calories.

• Advertisement

That's 300g of fish and 100g of spaghetti though. Two portions from that is fair enough. It's bulked with an onion and two peppers, which would be low-cal, and the 535 calories for each of the two portions would be right.

Portion sizes are only an issue where someone has a big portion that has massive calories.

Fair enough, I had no idea, we used it for 4

Fair enough, I had no idea, we used it for 4

Out of interest, did you weight out the pasta exactly? And the fish?

I only ask because if I had a dinner comprised mostly of 75g of fish, 25g of pasta, half a red pepper and quarter of an onion, I wouldn't be long reaching for a snack! :D

Out of interest, did you weight out the pasta exactly? And the fish?

I only ask because if I had a dinner comprised mostly of 75g of fish, 25g of pasta, half a red pepper and quarter of an onion, I wouldn't be long reaching for a snack! :D

We made the fish, quartered it up and then had one portion of pasta with it

We made the fish, quartered it up and then had one portion of pasta with it

What's a portion of pasta in terms of grams?

What's a portion of pasta in terms of grams?

I put in 50g dry for me, 70g for my partner then I take under half, he takes over half

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Escapees

This thread started with the OP mentioning a book that looks at weight loss from a non-traditional point of view. Is it possible to sum up the dieting technique of the book in a few lines for those of us who have not read it? I've come across another book 'The Fat Burning Kitchen' that also takes an alternative view of things - I wonder if it's similar?

Advertisement