Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert - Geography and Business

Options
  • 12-11-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello.
    I am currently in 5th year and I am unhappy with my choices for subjects. I do Physics, Chemistry and Geography.
    I am able to change my Geography to Business which is what I am confused about.
    What do people have to say about Geography and Business?
    I did both of them for JC and got a B in higher for both and now I am stuck.
    Im afraid I wont achieve the grade I want for Geography and think that I will be better off doing Business but people in my class are saying 's be making a mistake moving.

Anyone have any suggestions or offer some help? It would be greatly appeciated

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I did Business but not Geography.

Firstly, I can say that every single one of my friends thought they would far better in Geography than they actually did. One guy in the year got an A1 out of the 40+ that did it and he scraped it with a solitary mark to spare. It seems like a decent subject for a high C/low B but any more than that seems to require a lot of learning.

Business is kind of similar really. It has a lot of learning and many people find it boring. I know I found it tedious at times but it was definitely a whole lot more relevant to me than Geography ever would have been. I particularly liked the EU and trade sections, but again, this depends on the person.

Either subject is good if you're aiming for Bs but it's tough to secure an A1 in either. I thought the business exam went really well but I still came out with an A2. Time seems to be an issue in both exams.

There is no project work in business which gives it a huge upper hand. It will save you so much time and that coupled with the fact that it's more useful than Geography to most people makes me favour business every time.

I urge you if you're having doubts now you should probably go with your instinct to move. I knew I didn't particularly like Chemistry, nor would I be pursuing it at university by this point in fifth year, but I failed to act on this. As a result I was stuck doing a subject I didn't like all through Leaving Cert which isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Like the poster above, I did Business but not Geography for the LC. Maybe I'm biased because I really liked the subject and I'm doing it in college now but I just found it relevant, interesting and it made sense which really cut down study times. There is a lot of information in it but I know a lot of people who have said it just 'clicks' moreso than other subjects especially sciences which do take a bit more work (chemistry took up most of my study/homework time throughout the year).

I think it boils down to personal preferences really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The geography Exam is like JC history.

You just have to state a relevant fact, and then relate it to back to the question. If your mentioning ports, rocks, towns or anything of that nature, it's nice to give an example aswell.

A person like me, who thrives in facts and jotting it down - the subject is easy compared to my grasp on languages, and just requires you to know your stuff.

I'm in fifth year aswell, and the subject is going great for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Geography is so difficult to get an A1 in and requires alot of work. You need to have a passion for the subject and a great understandin of an SRP so you can come up with waffle that will get you marks if you get stuck. It's a long course and less than half of it will be examined. We had 1 A1 (me) and about 5/6 A2's. Only one person get a D3 and no one failed, thats out of two classes totalling 47.

I didn't do Business so won't say much on it. But if your business minded you'll fly it. Our year had only 11 in the business class and 4 got A2's and the lowest was a C2

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lolo97

Thank you all for your replies.
    I really regret choosing Geography and really want to do Business, I just need a letter from my parents.
    Is it too late to move? Would I have missed out loads on the few months I didn't do Business?

Thanks to all again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DiarmuidBoy89

lolo97 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I really regret choosing Geography and really want to do Business, I just need a letter from my parents.
    Is it too late to move? Would I have missed out loads on the few months I didn't do Business?

Thanks to all again

You will not of missed out out loads of business, I did my lc last year and can firmly say it is one of the quickest courses to complete in lc, my class finished it in November 7th of 6th year, in theory you could easily complete it in 1 year so you'll be fine if you start now. I also did geography and there is at more work in georgraphy I believe than business

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lolo97

Thank you all for your opinions and replies. I have contacted the school in hope to move to Business.
    Thanks to all once again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jane_ohara

Hi. I do both business and geography. I will say that in terms of the work you need to do business and geography are very similar. For both of them just learning things off is key. I find both of them really interesting, but I would say I probably prefer business. The foundations of business is general knowledge, but you need to study a lot to be able to expand on your points and put in all the relevant details. To be honest, I would probably just choose whichever one you think is more interesting. If your not that interested in either but just want a high grade I would choose geography, although if you don't like you will want to pull your eyeballs out. It's that boring. Much easier to get a high grade in it than business though. I got a C in my junior cert and have been getting A's for the past 2 years.

Bit of a long winded way to say I really don't know but I hope it helps anyway :)

Advertisement