Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Take Leaving Cert at 16

• 24-09-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello. I am a home-educated student who has just turned 16. Can I take the Leaving certificate next June. I have already studied for all the following subjects:

Maths HL
    English HL
    Economics HL
    Physics with Chemistry HL
    Geography HL
    History HL
    + A lot of other subjects at ordinary level, I have an exemption from Gaelic.
    I will probably study and take this other list of subjects at higher level too:
    Classical Studies
    Accounting
    Applied Maths
    Business
    Music
    Agricultural Science
    Biology
    Music
    French
    ??Engineering??

I've covered the groundwork for all of these too, with the exceptions of music and French. (I am also speculating on doing art) I may study Spanish - I wanted to do Latin but this conflicts with Classical Studies. If I don't do Spanish I'll do both Hebrew and Hebrew Studies. Insofar as maths is concerned I've studied the "old" maths course before they introduced that abomination "Project Maths" - I may need to go over a tiny bit of geometry here. In English the poems shouldn't take me too much longer to cover. I am sick to the teeth of the rather limited and boring Irish curricula - I am using university textbooks to relieve the tedium (Real and Complex Analysis, Intermediate Economics, Formal Logic that sort of thing). Anyway I have no wish to spend the next two years revising - can I take the leaving cert early and avoid this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I think you can take it - contact www.examinations.ie
    (I mean, I took the exam at 16 and I didn't have your apparently wide range of talents)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

15+ subjects at HL at 16?
    Ah leave it ouh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Reznov Re-Reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

if ya can do them fair play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There's a rule about 2 years since your JC or 17, I think
    There was when I did it
    16 subjects might be fine to study, but 16 exams in one session will not be fine to take, cut it down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the Irish system seems so dreadful to you, why are you bothering to sit the LC? Surely some other exam would be more of a challenge to you and your university textbooks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

You can but to be honest, I wouldn't. A 16 year old is typically not mature enough to sit the exams to the best of their ability. One of the main benefits people give of Transition Year is that you are a year older doing the LC.

Furthermore, you don't have a hope of sitting the number of subjects you aspire to. The very best students cannot manage more than 10 let alone a 16 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jacklc2014

Did you look at the Leaving cert time table,some of your subjects may clash.I would use that as a starting point and see which subjects are possible in one sitting.Also some subjects require a teacher to sign off projcets,have you thought of how thats going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

15 HL subjects? I actually find this hilarious, yet quite worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I didn't think people like this actually existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I can't decide whether you are serious, or whether you're just another one of those Internet trolls. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

You're allowed do the L.C when you're sixteen ya. I don't think it matters how many subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

One, if not twom of my friends with still be 16 when out LC comes around...

But, are you mad doing 15+ HL subjects?! All you really need is 8 maximum... Is 15+ not... excessive?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

If you can do 15 fair fecks to you.. Im doing 7 and im finding it a struggle to keep up this year :L ima be just turned 17 doing the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Wait hang on a minute... 15 HL subjects? is this just another troll or just a person who is insane to the max! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Sure thats just silly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The OP has been online this evening, but hasn't responded to the responses to their one and only thread, so I'm smelling a short person under a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

I am not a troll. I have studied or mostly studied all the subjects listed, with the partial exception of French -languages are not a strength, thank goodness I have an exemption in Irish.
    Also, I cannot help asking "smelling a short person under a bridge" means, "spurious's" usage of it appears to the only one on the Internet.

I am also sorry if my critique of the Irish education system was taken up wrong. Ireland is certainly superior in this respect to, say, the US. Yet all secondary schools in general make the same mistakes. In microeconomics firms produce where marginal revenue equals marginal cost, this is stated to you as a fact. Yet you are not told why. In this case you are merely maximizing the profit function using (very) basic calculus. Likewise in kinematics if you integrate acceleration and add the initial velocity as the constant one gets the function v=u+at. Integrate this again and one gets s=ut+0.5at^2. Easy. The issue is all this idiotic rote memorization.

• Advertisement

Oh and I have trolled in the past - but never on serious matters or on this forum. Just a little baiting of jingoistic Yanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

How is this thread not closed? 16 and studied 15 subjects for the leaving, including honors maths on there own? I'm Albert Einstein reincarnated and currently engaged to Katy Perry. I made my first million from licking windows to clean them.+ A lot of other subjects at ordinary level, I have an exemption from Gaelic.So 20+ subjects, Ah hear leave it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Sure bang away with you 15 subjects, I suppose you'll be posting about your 15 A1's at the end of the year?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

Hahahaha I'll find it hard to keep up with 7 HL subjects and I'm only in 5th year - I'll be 18 doing the Leaving Cert! The idea of doing 15, no matter what age you are, is a bit ridiculous :p

Jan Hus wrote: »
    I am not a troll. I have studied or mostly studied all the subjects listed, with the partial exception of French -languages are not a strength, thank goodness I have an exemption in Irish.
    Also, I cannot help asking "smelling a short person under a bridge" means, "spurious's" usage of it appears to the only one on the Internet.

Hurrah for me, though sadly you're wrong.
    Terry Pratchett and indeed the Three Billy Goats Gruff mention trolls and bridges.

Thread closed, sadly, but like others I await the tales of 15 A1s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement