Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Anyone would think you were avoiding the question.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html
    How Many People have Paid the Household Charge ?
    March 30, 2012 | Posted by Money Guide Update : March 30th ……
    Figures from the LGMA at 10 am today yesterday stated that 493,899 properties had been registered for the household charge. They also stated there were around 56,000 unprocessed forms. If all these are valid registrations – then the total figure will be 549,899

We estimate there are about 1.71 million properties that are liable for the Household Charge - so that works out at just under 33% of households that have registered. So – around 67% of households have still not yet registered.

The Household Charge was due on January 1st 2012 – but home owners have been given 3 months to pay the charge before penalties apply. See more here about Penalty Charges for the Household Charge.

More facts and details about the Household Charge and how to pay it here.

Money Saving Tips – find out ways to save enough money to cover the household tax.

Success?

67% non compliance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Merch wrote: »
    This says a lot to me, its a quote from a respondent to the article below.

"they are working on attachment of earning orders to take money off people on social welfare, but taking pensions off corrupt politicians needs constitutional amendments blah blah blah.
    That's the very reason right there not to pay this iniquitous tax"

Its so bloody true, its sickening. They wont deal with the rot in their own ranks or those of their pals.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/surge-in-people-paying-100-household-fee-but-39pc-insist-they-will-hold-out-3066454.html

The article itself, sure 39%, Its the Indo though.

How does the "YES" side defend this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »

Let's break it down.

A new tax, introduced in the middle of the worst recession in living memory which members of the public have to self-register for? Throw in a vocal group of the lunatic fringe stirring up anger and confusion.

In this context, I would define 'success' as anything over 15%. As I've previously stated, the 'no' side need around 85% to refuse to register to have any chance of 'success'.

If the current numbers are correct, and with still a full day available tomorrow for people to register, I would consider the compliance rate to be more than a mere 'success'.

I'd probably define it as a 'roaring success'.

I would define 'success' as anything over 15%..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lmao :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Let's break it down.

A new tax, introduced in the middle of the worst recession in living memory which members of the public have to self-register for? Throw in a vocal group of the lunatic fringe stirring up anger and confusion.

In this context, I would define 'success' as anything over 15%. As I've previously stated, the 'no' side need around 85% to refuse to register to have any chance of 'success'.

If the current numbers are correct, and with still a full day available tomorrow for people to register, I would consider the compliance rate to be more than a mere 'success'.

Thanks, that made me laugh!

Francis, no need to keep crossing the line to personal abuse when someone posts something you disagree with.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

:rolleyes:

Lol......

Charter says attack the post, not the poster.

Interesting that your definition of success isn't tied in with the whole aim of your campaign i.e. the abolition of the charge.

There's some goalposts that need moving here lads.

All together now 'heave'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And the tax office was closed because they were dealing with household charge payments!

They wouldn't do anything for me even though there were only 2 people there to pay the household charge. They're only open for a half day from mon-fri but they said they're only open tues-thurs now for the next few weeks.

No doubt big Phil will blame this on cut backs but it really annoyed me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

smash wrote: »
    And the tax office was closed because they were dealing with household charge payments!

They wouldn't do anything for me even though there were only 2 people there to pay the household charge. They're only open for a half day from mon-fri but they said they're only open tues-thurs now for the next few weeks.

Pay it online, its simple and a sh!t lot more convenient, only fools queue up in a car tax office these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

If its the first payment you can't pay online

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Did you pay your household charge while you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jimoc wrote: »
    Did you pay your household charge while you were there?

Perhaps he lives in his car?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joe Higgins, Richard Boyd Barrett, Ming, Seamus Healy, Shinners
    Although it won't happen due to data protection laws, it'd be nice to see if they have paid up yet or not?

It's been off the road, it's my 2nd car so I can't pay online. And no I didn't pay the household charge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

ejmaztec wrote: »

That's cold.
    Not as cold as living in his car, though.

Shush you or you will be the cause of that loop hole been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Currently the government have no database of houses in Ireland.
    People registering for this charge are crating it for them.
    Whats to stop people from finding out the list of unfinished estates that qualify for exemption and then putting one of those houses down as their address so they dont have to pay?

Surely a government that is unable to figure out how many houses are in the country will be unable to figure out who lives where?

And before anyone asks,
    No I'm not registering
    and if Phil Hogan wants to get 100 quid out of me then he can come to my house and present me with an invoice for it and his successor can pry the money out of Hogan's cold dead hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Write to them informing them that you attempted to pay your car tax and aren't happy. When they write back explaining that they're not accepting car tax payments you'll have written evidence that you made a reasonable attempt to pay the tax but were refused.

Now you don't have to pay tax and have a solid argument should you ever be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's been off the road, it's my 2nd car so I can't pay online. And no I didn't pay the household charge :D

I was going to say 2 cars in the drive and nothing in the fridge but I won't.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Slick50 wrote: »
    The tax on our cars goes towards maintaining the roads, which is an on going expense.
    Not so. Some of the money collected through car tax from some of the road users will go towards maintaining the roads. Just as some (the government actually insist it will be all) of the money raised from some of the residents will go towards the cost of maintaining local services.

Thus no Rubicon is being crossed with the idea that only some should pay and that they should pay more that the total cost of what is being funded (not that there even any clear evidence that the latter will be the case yet). This is why the example of motor tax us being cited. So why a revolt against the house hold charge and none against motor tax (indeed I would imagine you could make a case that there is some evidence of unfairness in pretty much every charge or tax).

Surely the reason for the revolt is for much the same reason that a dog licks his dangly bits? Because they can! If it were possible to mount an effective campaign against almost any cuts or austere measures in the last few years they would have happened. What’s different about this one is just that a protest was easier to mount (you had to make the effort here to exclude yourself as part of the protest) and not that the charge in itself is grossly unfair, or at least not substantially less fair that many other measures that have been taken.

Interesting that your definition of success isn't tied in with the whole aim of your campaign i.e. the abolition of the charge.

There's some goalposts that need moving here lads.

All together now 'heave'.

The aim of the campaign, dont register, dont pay?

67% (I'll admit, atm) have not.

Success?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Write to them informing them that you attempted to pay your car tax and aren't happy. When they write back explaining that they're not accepting car tax payments you'll have written evidence that you made a reasonable attempt to pay the tax but were refused.

Now you don't have to pay tax and have a solid argument should you ever be stopped.

No
    What happens is you are told to pull in your car is taken to storage and then you appeal with your letter. It really is not worth the hassle.

I was going to say 2 cars in the drive and nothing in the fridge but I won't.:p
    I'll have you know my fridge is full of beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Success?
    The strategy is 'dont register, dont pay'.

The aim must be the abolition of the charge, no?

Success?

Really?

You're not campaigning to abolish the charge at all then?

dvpower wrote: »

What's the current registered figures?

How are they going to chase 67% of the population?

Even PP (who you all love to quote via the red poll) have 40-45% as 'favourite' for registered by midninght tonight?

Maybe I'm stupid, (N.B, I'm not) but, 55% (which is optimistic for the yes side) of NON payment will be a nightmare for the Govt to try and enforce.

We'll let it sit until Sunday shall we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dvpower wrote: »

What's the current registered figures?

How are they going to chase 67% of the population?

Even PP (who you all love to quote via the red poll) have 40-45% as 'favourite' for registered by midninght tonight?

Maybe I'm stupid, (N.B, I'm not) but, 55% (which is optimistic for the yes side) of NON payment will be a nightmare for the Govt to try and enforce.

We'll let it sit until Sunday shall we?
    Well, that didn't answer my question - at all. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement