Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Biarrtiz Olympique - RDS 27/04/13, 14:30 SS1 (Print your tickets!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Eh, it looks like Biarritz have named their team for Saturday, according to l'Equipe anyway. Getting it out of the way early...

Bosch - Ngwenya, Baby, Traille , Brew, Barraque, Yachvili - Lakafia, , Harinordoquy (cap.), Dubarry - Taele, E.Lund - Broster, Heguy, Synaeghel

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Au-complet-a-dublin/365721

Can't claim I know anything about that front row to be honest, but it's a strong team otherwise.

Stop Yachvili, Harinordoquy and quick ball to Ngwenya and we should be ok.

Defence has been leaking tries all over the shop this season. Avg 2 per game i think

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can't wait to see Ngwenya and Baby in the flesh.

Also the missus has a thing for hairydonkey I think! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ian Madigan
    .ak wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Ngwenya and Baby in the flesh.

Also the missus has a thing for hairydonkey I think! :o

If your missus knew how often she gets mentioned on a random internet forum...

Are we getting another picture if Leinster win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ian Madigan
    Very surprised to not see Thomas starting, he's been excellent any time I've seen him.

Backline is strong enough, reckon we could do well in the set piece though.

Depends on how drunk I can get her... And it's really me that wants to see Hairydonkey! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ian Madigan
    They're going for a set piece based approach. Their line out will be strong. Back row of 6'3, 6'4 and 6'6. Second row of 6'6 and 6'8. Broster is over 18 stones and Synaeghal is over 19 stone. We'll need to take them at the breakdown and get in behind their three quarters. Ngwenya and Brew are both poor with the ball behind them. Traille is a monster and slow to turn.

I'd expect us to prod the ball in behind them and turn them around as often as we can. Make them move around the park and tire the monsters out. Win it in the third quarter.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hope it's a cracking sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

awec wrote: »
    Hope it's a cracking sunny day!

yep, if it is nice this will be justsomebabies first game of rugby that he is brought too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

yep, if it is nice this will be justsomebabies first game of rugby that he is brought too

If we lose, we know whose fault it is.

10°c with a chance of showers but mostly sunny. Could be a good day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Sorry if already posted, leinsterfans rumour forum saying BOD will be announcing a 1 year extension. http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22007&start=2140

gah... wrong thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

We need to keep the ball away from Zee or else force him to kick it as much as possible. If he runs at us we might have some problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Madigan is too good to leave out and should be accommodated at 12 or 15
    I think its a great opportunity for Leinster to start Madigan in another European knock-out game. Unfortunately Sexton is Leinsters past (very soon anyway), & the more exposure Madigan gets in knock-out rugby the better.

Biarritz havent won away from home in top14 this year (6 games)
    11th in the top14
    11th in the table for pts scored
    13th for trys scored
    They did however smash Gloucester in the 1/4 final in Kingsholm

Leinster to win this 1 by at lest 10pts. Yashvili to keep the contest alive until the 60th minute & then madigan will do the show & go. bye bye
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIEaRkoIx_M

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ian Madigan
    Gloucester tried to fling it around and not take them on in the breakdown against a side with flyers out wide. They didn't ask questions of them defensively or try and make any mismatches. They conceded 24 points with men in the bin too still trying to do that which ended the game. Biarritz did their thing and badly disrupted Gloucester's line out, got in front and won handily.

Leinster would be best off trucking it up, hammering them in the middle and making their pack work and tackle constantly, dragging them in narrowly before trying to move it. Force their three quarters to come up and in to cover any holes being punched. Could see cross kicks coming in then to Nacewa and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I'd agree with much of the above.

Although I want to win, it's not the end of the world if we don't win the Amlin. In out present situation, we have two excellent fly-halves.

One is experienced and leaving. The other is less experienced and staying.

Building for the future, Madigan should start. This may be unpopular but I'd be in favour of dropping Sexton for the rest of the season, save for some cameo roles at the end of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Biarritz havent won away from home in top14 this year (6 games)

They did however smash Gloucester in the 1/4 final in Kingsholm

They are really targetting an Amlin win. They put out a weak side against UBB last weekend / nothing to play for in the top14 so this is their season game, whereas Leinster have a) guarenteed HC next year and b) the Rabo.

I think we should still win it, think it'll be a nail biter.

The players will be gagging for it, no doubt, both sets. Regardless of how the fans feel about the Amlin, Leinster will be aiming to get as much silverware as possible... and European silverware is still European silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ian Madigan
    The players will be gagging for it, no doubt, both sets.

mr-bean-i-know-what-you-mean.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Madworld wrote: »
    Building for the future, Madigan should start. This may be unpopular but I'd be in favour of dropping Sexton for the rest of the season, save for some cameo roles at the end of games.

You don't build for the future in semi-finals - you go out to win them.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

The players will be gagging for it, no doubt, both sets. Regardless of how the fans feel about the Amlin, Leinster will be aiming to get as much silverware as possible... and European silverware is still European silverware.

Yeah its huge game, Lions places up for grabs, final in Dublin, silverware on the line, Sexton, BOD etc, vs Heavyweight french opposition, it does matter a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Looking forward to this one, could be as good as some of the H-cup games at the weekend. Hope the weather holds off also.
    I see Richardt Strauss has been passed fit but Dave Kearney major doubt.

Has anyone got their tickets in the post yet?

Thanos wrote: »

TICKETS FOR THIS GAME HAVE TO BE PRINTED FROM YOUR TICKETMASTER ACCOUNT

Looking forward to this one, could be as good as some of the H-cup games at the weekend. Hope the weather holds off also.
    I see Richardt Strauss has been passed fit but Dave Kearney major doubt.

You have to print them out if you are a season ticket holder in anyway from your account, not sure otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

TICKETS FOR THIS GAME HAVE TO BE PRINTED FROM YOUR TICKETMASTER ACCOUNT

And this is why I post here, so many helpful people (especially when you have a head like a sieve like me :o )

Thanks.

And this is why I post here, so many helpful people (especially when you have a head like a sieve like me :o )

Thanks.

have edited thread title as I sure there will be a good few people who will 'forget' about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sexton is a no-brainer for me at 10, but I'd still consider having Madigan in the starting lineup at 15.

It's tough to say really, he's a difficult man to leave out, and with Rob having a not so great run of form at 15, and also McFadden perhaps not being a natural winger, the back-three selection will be very interesting.

Personally, I would go with:

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Roux
    6. O'Brien
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. R. Kearney
    12. D'Arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Nacewa
    15. Madigan

16. Cronin 17. McGrath 18. Bent 19. Toner 20. McLoughlin 21. Cooney 22. Goodman 23. McFadden

The only real surprise there is Madigan to 15 and McFadden very harshly dropped. The reason being that I don't like Nacewa at 11, I feel he's been a bit muted. Madigan is in flying form and has deputised well at 15 this season, he also gives the option of a split midfield either from set-piece or in open play, having Sexton first receiver one side and Madigan first receiver the other side, it gives two superb play-makers either side of the scrum / ruck, and potentially can play havock with opposition defence decision making.

Add to that, you have two wingers who are best at full-back, any concern over Madigans fielding should be offset by the sweeping of Kearney and Nacewa at the back, and Kearney having the natural left boot in the back field is key also.

McFadden poses a great running threat, but considering that Biarritz would be sure to target Madigan at full-back, Kearney and Nacewa under the high ball will be important, but also the marking of Biarritz main point of attack by playing wide, I think Nacewa and Kearney will just be more able to cope with that than McFadden being in there (who has been punished badly on the wing defensively before).

Other main calls, Roux in ahead of Toner, I think Toner has had his best season for Leinster to date, especially upping his physicality, particularly at ruck time (although his carrying still looks like a giraffe running into a brick wall), I still think Roux is a great hope for us in the second row and I'd like to persist with him in a game like this, I do think he's potentially a rough diamond, he has a lot to work on, but I see genuine quality in him.

Back-row, I always, always prefer the most natural open side option available and the best 6 option available. O'Brien is a different player at 6 than he is to 7, when he's free'd up from some of the defensive and digging duties, he gets through a lot of work, Jennings is a man I'm happy to rely on. Arguably better off the bench? Perhaps, but I think with Johhny at 10, any mistakes from Biarritz will be heavily punished by field position and points and Jenno is the man to force them imo.

Reigning Heineken Cup champions against reigning Amlin champions, it's a European super cup of sorts! I think this will be a very tough game, Biarritz have really really focused on the Amlin whenever they are in it, they really want European silverware and recognition, but I think if we commit to this game and give it our full attention, we should have too much for them in the locker.

One thing to be avoided is that we need to exert far more control on the game than we did in the opening half against Wasps, and not get drawn into another shoot out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't see the sense in moving Kearney from fullback to wing when he isn't a very good winger and his replacement isn't a very good fullback.

Wouldnt play Madiga 15 and drop Ferg.

I know our limitations with DK out but

RK
    Ferg
    BOD
    Darcy
    Isa
    Sexton
    Boss

has to be the way to go barring any unforeseen injuries

Madigan to play Ospreys game and 20 mins the weekend if a decent lead, great headache to have with the both for the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Sexton is a no-brainer for me at 10, but I'd still consider having Madigan in the starting lineup at 15.

It's tough to say really, he's a difficult man to leave out, and with Rob having a not so great run of form at 15, and also McFadden perhaps not being a natural winger, the back-three selection will be very interesting.

Personally, I would go with:

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Roux
    6. O'Brien
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. R. Kearney
    12. D'Arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Nacewa
    15. Madigan

16. Cronin 17. McGrath 18. Bent 19. Toner 20. McLoughlin 21. Cooney 22. Goodman 23. McFadden

The only real surprise there is Madigan to 15 and McFadden very harshly dropped. The reason being that I don't like Nacewa at 11, I feel he's been a bit muted. Madigan is in flying form and has deputised well at 15 this season, he also gives the option of a split midfield either from set-piece or in open play, having Sexton first receiver one side and Madigan first receiver the other side, it gives two superb play-makers either side of the scrum / ruck, and potentially can play havock with opposition defence decision making.

Add to that, you have two wingers who are best at full-back, any concern over Madigans fielding should be offset by the sweeping of Kearney and Nacewa at the back, and Kearney having the natural left boot in the back field is key also.

McFadden poses a great running threat, but considering that Biarritz would be sure to target Madigan at full-back, Kearney and Nacewa under the high ball will be important, but also the marking of Biarritz main point of attack by playing wide, I think Nacewa and Kearney will just be more able to cope with that than McFadden being in there (who has been punished badly on the wing defensively before).

Other main calls, Roux in ahead of Toner, I think Toner has had his best season for Leinster to date, especially upping his physicality, particularly at ruck time (although his carrying still looks like a giraffe running into a brick wall), I still think Roux is a great hope for us in the second row and I'd like to persist with him in a game like this, I do think he's potentially a rough diamond, he has a lot to work on, but I see genuine quality in him.

Back-row, I always, always prefer the most natural open side option available and the best 6 option available. O'Brien is a different player at 6 than he is to 7, when he's free'd up from some of the defensive and digging duties, he gets through a lot of work, Jennings is a man I'm happy to rely on. Arguably better off the bench? Perhaps, but I think with Johhny at 10, any mistakes from Biarritz will be heavily punished by field position and points and Jenno is the man to force them imo.

Reigning Heineken Cup champions against reigning Amlin champions, it's a European super cup of sorts! I think this will be a very tough game, Biarritz have really really focused on the Amlin whenever they are in it, they really want European silverware and recognition, but I think if we commit to this game and give it our full attention, we should have too much for them in the locker.

One thing to be avoided is that we need to exert far more control on the game than we did in the opening half against Wasps, and not get drawn into another shoot out.

Don't agree with moving Kearney but good post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You don't build for the future in semi-finals - you go out to win them.

Do you believe the difference between Sexton and Madigan is so great that we would loose with him at 10?

On paper we are stronger 1-15 than Biarritz. Starting Madigan might decrease the overall quality of the fifteen marginally, but surely it's better for him to get the experience on the big stage now, than in a Heineken Cup knockout match against the likes of Clermont or Saracens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement