Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Definitely getting back into this as soon as I figure out a safe place to run in the evenings!

WRT podcasts, I used to use the Get Running app which follows the C25K program perfectly. It was €1.59 and a very friendly voice tells you when to walk and run! I made my own playlist to play simultaneously; the music volume is lowered whenever the app needs to give instructions.

I've never tried the other podcasts mentioned here, but since I still have Get Running I'll probably stick to that :)

I quite like the NHS one, but haven't checked out ullrey's. They have quite catchy music and the woman's voice is very friendly, giving tips throughout and also motivation by saying things like "you're doing a good job" and "just 60 seconds left, you're doing really well". Small things like that help a lot, I find.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I quite like the NHS one, but haven't checked out ullrey's. They have quite catchy music and the woman's voice is very friendly, giving tips throughout and also motivation by saying things like "you're doing a good job" and "just 60 seconds left, you're doing really well". Small things like that help a lot, I find.

So does ullrey :D

Cracks me up sometimes though, sometimes I just wish they'd shut up and only talk when it's over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

The podcasts have their own music. They're free as well so you can check the different ones out and pick the one you prefer.

Ooh thanks, do i just download them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I do have worries re: running.

Started a health kick at the end of November. I was fat and gross. I have the healthy eating side of it down pat but now need to start exercising, not that I have the main blubber gone. I'm just maybe six pounds over the top acceptable healthy weight for my height. I have lost 15 pounds so far. That might seem slow but Xmas was during that period (only gained 2lbs at Xmas and had lost it within a week of the festivities ending - woo!).

My main worry is that the only place suitable for me to run is a tarred road. So I am worried about the affect on my joints.

My other worry is the effect on my boobies. I have a sports bra but I'm worried that won't be enough. My boobs are big at the moment, though should be at 34C when I hit my goal weight. I just don't want running to cause too much saggage. :o

Some info on me:

I'm 26, I'm 5'3", weigh 146 pounds and my bra size at the moment is 34DD/36D down from 36DD/E at the beginning. I hope to get to around 120lbs which would be nice for my height.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do have worries re: running.

Started a health kick at the end of November. I was fat and gross. I have the healthy eating side of it down pat but now need to start exercising, not that I have the main blubber gone. I'm just maybe six pounds over the top acceptabel healthy weight for my height. I have lost 15 pounds so far. That might seem slow but Xmas was during that period (only gained 2lbs at Xmas and had lost it within a week of the festivities ending - woo!).

My main worry is that the only place suitable for me to run is a tarred road. So I am worried about the affect on my joints.

My other worry is the effect on my boobies. I have a sports bra but I'm worried that won't enough. My boobs are big at the moment, though should be at 34C when I hit my goal weight. I just don't want running to cause too much saggage. :o

Some info on me:

I'm 26, I'm 5'3", weigh 146 pounds and my bra size at the moment is 34DD/36D down from 36DD/E at the beginning. I hope to get to around 120lbs which would be nice for my height.

I'm 34E, proper sports bra and you'll be grand!
    Proper runners and you should be ok I think

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm 34E, proper sports bra and you'll be grand!
    Proper runners and you should be ok I think

Good to know re: boobies.

I'm more worried about my joints, because it's a high impact sport. I guess I should just try it? Definitely want to listen to music while doing it, but that makes me nervous about traffic on narrow country roads. I know these all sound like excuses but the joints and traffic worries are important and valid, I think. The boobie thing is less so, obviously. :)

Good to know re: boobies.

I'm more worried about my joints, because it's a high impact sport. I guess I should just try it? Definitely want to listen to music while doing it, but that makes me nervous about traffic on narrow country roads. I know these all sound like excuses but the joints and traffic worries are important and valid, I think. The boobie thing is less so, obviously. :)

Don't go out jogging at night, wear a high-visibility jacket and try to jog as close to the side of the road as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Where do i download podcasts from?

Don't go out jogging at night, wear a high-visibility jacket and try to jog as close to the side of the road as possible.

Have the high vis and walking close to the margin sorted. But in the countryside around here night-time + country roads = boy racers! :eek: My granny lives about a kilometre from us. Back 10 years ago, we used to walk to her house in the dark all the time with torches and high vis gear. Now, we just can't risk it, it's far too dangerous. :eek:

• Advertisement

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Where do i download podcasts from?

Do you have iTunes? I have the NHS ones hosted on a site called dropbox, so if you send me your email address over PM I can share them with you. Think you should be able to download them all fairly handily. Though they're .rar, so you'd need something like WinRar to decompress them.

Having said that, it might be easier to download iTunes and get them there.

I'm not too sure about the Ullrey ones, but I'm guessing they're the same? Though you might be able to get them somewhere else.

Have the high vis and walking close to the margin sorted. But in the countryside around here night-time + country roads = boy racers! :eek: My granny lives about a kilometre from us. Back 10 years ago, we used to walk to her house in the dark all the time with torches and high vis gear. Now, we just can't risk it, it's far too dangerous. :eek:

Go out during the day time if possible.

Do you have iTunes? I have the NHS ones hosted on a site called dropbox, so if you send me your email address over PM I can share them with you. Think you should be able to download them all fairly handily. Though they're .rar, so you'd need something like WinRar to decompress them.

Having said that, it might be easier to download iTunes and get them there.

I'm not too sure about the Ullrey ones, but I'm guessing they're the same? Though you might be able to get them somewhere else.

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm more worried about my joints, because it's a high impact sport. I guess I should just try it?

I'm kind of the same. The first day I went out I was convinced my knees were just going to collapse under me. But I kept the running place slow and steady, kept my feet close to the ground (but not to close that I'd trip myself!) and was fine. The next day was much better, was more confident on them and they didn't feel like they wanted to kill me. And the third day (yesterday) was better again.

I wonder, actually, would it be worth it to have the more experienced runners just post a list of things to watch out for? Like, tips to prevent injury and what aches and pains are not ok to run on etc?

That's the plan. We just have to take our chances in this world, I guess. :) Luckily there's a gorgeous secluded lake nearby that's having a walk way put in around it at the moment. Can't wait until it's finished. :)

I wonder, actually, would it be worth it to have the more experienced runners just post a list of things to watch out for? Like, tips to prevent injury and what aches and pains are not ok to run on etc?

Definitely a good idea.

I for one would be interested to know what the affects of being overweight have on the joints whilst running.

Here's some links that might be useful:

NHS Choices: Couch to 5K (tips, resources and guides)
    Couch to 5K on Facebook (great little page, where people discuss their progress and others give advice)

I for one would be interested to know what the affects of being overweight have on the joints whilst running.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat so it's something I'm very mindful of. I've done a small bit of research online about the dos and don'ts but it might be good to have it all in the one place.

I had a look at that last night, and I have to say some of the advice is contradictory to advice I've heard from other sources so just to be aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I completed it but I'm going to go back and start again and up the pace a bit.

Couch to 5K on Facebook (great little page, where people discuss their progress and others give advice)

They're helpful but generalised. I'd like to hear the experiences of forum members, especially the ones who were really really unfit when they started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I started running again just after Christmas on and off but I'm starting the c25k properly tomorrow. Looking forward to it, always feel fantastic after a good run.

I started running again just after Christmas on and off but I'm starting the c25k properly tomorrow. Looking forward to it, always feel fantastic after a good run.

I'm starting tomorrow too! :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They're helpful but generalised. I'd like to hear the experiences of forum members, especially the ones who were really really unfit when they started.

I started Couch to 5k in July 2008, at age 24. I'd done no exercise for the previous 2 years and I was about 15 stone (far too heavy for my height of 5'6"). I started watching my diet at roughly the same time, and the weight started to come off quite quickly. I started the program in a pair of 6 year old Nike cross training shoes, but found things a lot more comfortable after I got fitted for some more suitable shoes. I ran my first 5k in October 2008 (Rathfarnham 5k, finished in just outside 30 minutes) and my first 10k 2 months after that (finished in just under 66 minutes). By the summer of 2009, I had completed a half-marathon and lost more than four stone. Now? Barcelona marathon (my third) in 2 weeks time.

Getting the weight down made a massive difference to me - it meant a lot less stress on my knees and shins, and it meant that it was easier to find a suitable sports bra (used to be 40DD, 34DD/E now so it's still not exactly wonderful getting one!). It also meant that I got a lot quicker. When I was doing Couch to 5k, my runs were at about a 12 minute mile pace - within about 6 months of that I was training at about a 10:30/mile pace, and these days most runs are done between 9 and 10 min/mile pace.

We can't give medical advice, however there are a few threads starting on the A/R/T forum which are mainly dealing with injury prevention and have heavy mod input over there. They are worth a read, there is some good information there.

Shin Splints

Preventing Heel/Plantar Fasciitis Problems

Just did another run, worked on speed this time so I did have to take a few 20-30s walking breaks. Still, I cut off about 2 mins off yesterday's distance so it's all good :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Long-time lurker in tLL but this is just the thread I've been waiting for!

I started C25k last May. I got to week 8 before I went away for the summer and totally lost all my fitness. Since the new year, I decided to get back on track and I started back into running at C25K week 4. Finding it ok so far, but a bit nervous about that 20 minute run (all over again)!

I also started "improver" swimming lessons a few weeks ago and I'm thinking about aiming for the TriAthy in June (400m swim, 13.6km cycle, 3.6km run) but I'm not sure I'll be ready in time... Has anyone ever done any triathlon training before? I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Might be worth having a look at Beginner Triathlete and that will give you an idea of some training plans. There is also a 1st Triathlon in 2011 thread on the A/R/T forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I can treadmill run no problem, but road running i just cant do.
    That's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I just can't get comfortable on the treadmill because I feel that if I let the pace at all I'll fall off!
    I know what you mean. I'm using Carli's podcasts from runningintoshape.com and she says really supportive things. I love her!

Good luck to everyone starting C25K!

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    That's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I just can't get comfortable on the treadmill because I feel that if I let the pace at all I'll fall off!
    Hardest part about treadmill running for me is resisting the urge to just whack the stop button and get off. I'd much rather get out in the fresh air.

• Advertisement

Hardest part about treadmill running for me is resisting the urge to just whack the stop button and get off. I'd much rather get out in the fresh air.

Nothing beats running at night time in the fresh air!

Advertisement