Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf club membership cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Tippman10 wrote: »

Castlemartyr also came back to me and said I don't need the signatures of 2 members so I don't know where to go now! I'll prpbably go with Fota if I can get 2 signatures.

Cheers for teh help Lads.

Delighted to see that Castlemartyr don't require 2 signatures. I would join in a heartbeat when finances allow but only 200 members is a bit low to get a regular game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have you considered distance membership? I got it for Templemore, it was like 120e for the year. Handy if you just want a handicap and can play in opens, but if you want regular weekend comps its obviously a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭big_drive

Interesting membership trial in Blarney. Worth it even for the €1 round, better than a green fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Tippman10 wrote: »
    I'm top of Coach Hill razorblunt so it's a 10 minutle walk.

To update ye, fota came back to me and said that scheme does exist but you do need 2 members to sign it and you'd have to pay the full sub now for 2014, that's €1,900, and only get til December out of it. Next January it's €1,900 again for the full year, after that you must pay the joining fee if you want to stay there.

Castlemartyr also came back to me and said I don't need the signatures of 2 members so I don't know where to go now! I'll prpbably go with Fota if I can get 2 signatures.

Cheers for teh help Lads.

Living in Coach hill, i definitely would go for Douglas...remember its a members owned club as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Heard that Monkstown agreed to remove the entrance fee at an EGM last night and are open for membership. Might be of interest to someone here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Anyone know of Cork clubs with distance membership ?
    Am a member of a club at home and plan to stay that way but would be handy to have a course in Cork over summer too as stay down quite a bit with work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Anyone know of Cork clubs with distance membership ?
    Am a member of a club at home and plan to stay that way but would be handy to have a course in Cork over summer too as stay down quite a bit with work

Would country membership not be a better option?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Would country membership not be a better option?

Truth be told I've never understood the difference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Truth be told I've never understood the difference

with country you won't be a "big bold bandit" like a lot of people stereotype distance members to be!!!! :D:D:D:D

charlieIRL wrote: »
    with country you won't be a "big bold bandit" like a lot of people stereotype distance members to be!!!! :D:D:D:D

Well it's before the watershed so I won't tell you what those people can do for a start :D

Plus I'm staying full member of home club. Anyway I've seen and heard about more banditry in the last 2 months than I expected in a life time and not a single distance member in sight :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Well it's before the watershed so I won't tell you what those people can do for a start :D

Plus I'm staying full member of home club. Anyway I've seen and heard about more banditry in the last 2 months than I expected in a life time and not a single distance member in sight :D

Where in Cork will you be? If it's the city area then thre are loads of options.

Most clubs do country membership so pick a course you like and contact them. I know Cobh is €200 for country membership which is a very good deal for a pretty decent standard course.

cairny wrote: »
    Where in Cork will you be? If it's the city area then thre are loads of options.

Most clubs do country membership so pick a course you like and contact them. I know Cobh is €200 for country membership which is a very good deal for a pretty decent standard course.

Ya City basically. That's good for Cobh. I contacted a number of them this year but they were quoting quite high prices.

Muskerry was 520
    Fernhill was 280
    Raffeen which I joined this year is 150 (but I'd prefer a bigger course)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

aster99 wrote: »
    Heard that Monkstown agreed to remove the entrance fee at an EGM last night and are open for membership. Might be of interest to someone here

How times have changed. There was a time that you couldn't get in there for love or money.

Was talking to a member recently and he felt the imposition of levies to pay for the clubhouse debt had gone down very badly and they were losing a lot of members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Sub is 1,450 though I believe which is quite steep IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭HB2002

Loire wrote: »
    Sub is 1,450 though I believe which is quite steep IMO

I believe the new membership is limited to 50, not sure if that is true or not.

Any Lee Valley members here? Have always heard that it can be difficult to get on the timesheet and just wondering if this is still the case?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Was talking to a lad last week and he mentioned that its after getting better about getting on the timesheet. But he said its tough to be able to get out with a buddy, so you're normally playing with a randomer. That wouldn't bother me, as its good to play with different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

Any Lee Valley members here? Have always heard that it can be difficult to get on the timesheet and just wondering if this is still the case?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Im a new member to Lee Valley and the timesheets can be an issue sometimes. In the summer the members times were extended due to early morning sunrise. It will be interesting to see how busy the timesheet will be in the winter when the timesheet will be only open for a limited time. However, saying that generally you'll always get a game and talking to other members recently there is roughly about a 70% increase in new members compared to older members. The atmosphere around the club is great and the Guinness served is the best in Cork IMO.

Im a new member to Lee Valley and the timesheets can be an issue sometimes. In the summer the members times were extended due to early morning sunrise. It will be interesting to see how busy the timesheet will be in the winter when the timesheet will be only open for a limited time. However, saying that generally you'll always get a game and talking to other members recently there is roughly about a 70% increase in new members compared to older members. The atmosphere around the club is great and the Guinness served is the best in Cork IMO.

That could swing it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

That could swing it :pac:

Its important to get the priorities right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Break80

grip n rip wrote: »
    Castlemartyr is a great course but they have big ideas on themselves no doubt about it ! If you are willing to pay douglas 6-7k why not join fota for 5 ? 27 holes and use of academy (I'm
    led to believe) also less of a drive than both bandon & castlemartyr .

As for blarney its an average course , feels like a big field where you just walk up and down all day , but in fairness the greens are always good .

Hi.
    I am a member of Blarney for 6 years. I can,t understand your average course comment. Do you consider a great course one which is easy to score on as I find Castlemartyr and Fota a lot easier to bring in a respectable score than Blarney. I think if someone finds it tough going they knock the course rather than their golf.

Break80 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I am a member of Blarney for 6 years. I can,t understand your average course comment. Do you consider a great course one which is easy to score on as I find Castlemartyr and Fota a lot easier to bring in a respectable score than Blarney. I think if someone finds it tough going they knock the course rather than their golf.

Blarney is not in the same league as either of those two, nothing to do with scoring, it's just a bit uninteresting. I was joined there for a year a while back btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tax_tutor1

HB2002 wrote: »
    I believe the new membership is limited to 50, not sure if that is true or not.

Don't believe that this is correct, they will take what they get!
    For anyone considering Monkstown Timesheets are not difficult to get on due to membership losses for the last number of years.

Blarney is not in the same league as either of those two, nothing to do with scoring, it's just a bit uninteresting. I was joined there for a year a while back btw.
    There,s a 600 yard par 5 [8th]. A par 3 thats almost blind across a valley where you have to trust your distance [5th]. A finishing hole that can make or break a round depending on the size of your goolies and trouble around almost every hole. On top of this pin placement can reduce you to tears some weeks.
    What more can be done btw.

There,s a 600 yard par 5 [8th]. A par 3 thats almost blind across a valley where you have to trust your distance [5th]. A finishing hole that can make or break a round depending on the size of your goolies and trouble around almost every hole. On top of this pin placement can reduce you to tears some weeks.
    What more can be done btw.[/

Everyone thinks their own wife (husband / partner) is the prettiest :)

Difficulty doesn't make a great course, not that I think it's particularly difficult.

There's some good holes but some very weak ones too. To me it's an immature course that lacks features. It's fine but 2nd division.

What more can be done btw.[/

Everyone thinks their own wife (husband / partner) is the prettiest :)

Difficulty doesn't make a great course, not that I think it's particularly difficult.

There's some good holes but some very weak ones too. To me it's an immature course that lacks features. It's fine but 2nd division.
    Well like all 2nd division clubs we hope to get promoted to the premiership with a bit of hard work, attract a few new members and maybe welcome back a few ex players who moved on to brighter and better things.

Well like all 2nd division clubs we hope to get promoted to the premiership with a bit of hard work, attract a few new members and maybe welcome back a few ex players who moved on to brighter and better things.

Don't get me wrong I was delighted it was saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Saw an ad this morning advertising membership in Muskerry for 2015 at €800

Seems like a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Seems like a good deal

This seems like a good deal. Where was this advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Seems like a good deal
    Where was the ad?

Advertisement